This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potato Gnocchi

debmidge

debmidge Rising Star

Anyone have a gluten-free receipe for {Potato Gnocchi?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

I have made both potato and ricotta gnocchi, but they are very fragile, especially the potato ones. I just put the mashed potatoes or ricotta in a bowl, added an egg or two, some salt, then added gluten-free flour (I use Bette Hagman's basic mix) until it made a dough stiff enough to handle. I rolled out a little at a time to make a rope about 1/2" thick, cut it into inch-long pieces, then pressed each piece on the tines of a fork (this makes grooves that hold the sauce) and set it aside on wax paper until they were all done. Flour every surface so they don't stick. You can freeze them on a tray at this point, then bag them up once frozen solid. To cook them you dump them into boiling water and cook gently until they rise to the surface. Unfortunately, overcooking them even a little makes them fall apart, so you have to be on top of them. I didn't add any xanthan gum, which might have helped hold them together. The ricotta ones usually turn out better. I think maybe I needed more flour for the potato ones.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I don't have a recipe, but Conte's makes a delicious gluten-free gnocchi (as well as ravioli, stuffed shells and pierogies).

cyberprof Enthusiast

I have been meaning to post the same question. I have a recipe that calls for egg and wheat flour. I was going to substitute potato starch for some of the flour and brown rice flour for the rest and yes, I was going to try it with the x-gum to help it hold together better.

I'll post after I try and if anyone else has any suggestions, that would be great. It's been over a year since I've had gnocchi and I'm craving them.

~Laura

gracey1037 Rookie

the best gnocchi recipe i have ever used is the one on this site. it's found undergf italian recipes/pizza ect. Just do not try to roll too large a piece of dough into the log. and remember your stomach does not care what it looks like. it,s the taste that counts. I have been using this recipe for several years. you can add all kinds of things to it (herbs, sun dried tom , and many more!!!pesto . when i'm really into it i will make the recipe 2 or 3 times and freeze them in portions. good luck and happy eating

• 2 weeks later...
Wonka Apprentice

I found a blog site that used this recipe Open Original Shared Link . She subbed Bob's Red Mill baking mix for the flour in the recipe and was happy with the results. I suspect any baking mix (or mixing your own) would work.

• 2 years later...
glutenfr3309 Rookie

i found this recipe- currently in the process of making it right now!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tina B Apprentice

I have made both potato and ricotta gnocchi, but they are very fragile, especially the potato ones. I just put the mashed potatoes or ricotta in a bowl, added an egg or two, some salt, then added gluten-free flour (I use Bette Hagman's basic mix) until it made a dough stiff enough to handle. I rolled out a little at a time to make a rope about 1/2" thick, cut it into inch-long pieces, then pressed each piece on the tines of a fork (this makes grooves that hold the sauce) and set it aside on wax paper until they were all done. Flour every surface so they don't stick. You can freeze them on a tray at this point, then bag them up once frozen solid. To cook them you dump them into boiling water and cook gently until they rise to the surface. Unfortunately, overcooking them even a little makes them fall apart, so you have to be on top of them. I didn't add any xanthan gum, which might have helped hold them together. The ricotta ones usually turn out better. I think maybe I needed more flour for the potato ones.

Did them the same but the did use the xanthum gum 1 tsp and it makes the world of difference in holding them together.

Archived