10 replies to this topic

#1 ive

ive

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hope this story will help someone. I wish I knew that even jam might contain traces of guten, it would save us a lot of money because in the search of the source of gluten / cross-contamination we changed all utensils, all pots and frying pans, most of small appliances, and recently even dinnerware and silverware. My toiletries are gluten-free. I cook almost everything from scratch. Our household (me and my husband) is completely gluten-free and I still felt that I was getting glutened somehow.

This weekend it was time to buy a new jam and we usually go to another store for that because all other jams we consider to be too sweet and this one (Hero jam) doesn't have that much sugar in it. Just by habit I read ingredients, see glucose syrup in it and it hits me: just today I read on this forum that glucose syrup might be derived from wheat! It might be my jam! Of all things I have always thought that jam would be safe and I did not associate glucose syrup with wheat. So I came home, e-mailed Hero North America and today I got the following reply: "The glucose syrup is made from wheat. However the amount of gluten from the glucose syrup is extremely small. (Less than 100 ppm)."
I guess I react to this small amount of gluten. Here is their website http://www.herousa.com/

I am glad to finally figure it out and hope that now I will recover faster.
Better safe than glutened

Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Soy Free / Corn Free / Mostly Nut Free / Legumes Free
Low histamine / amine / glutamate diet
Restricted animal protein diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

Oh, good grief. :angry:

Does anyone know of a safe, gluten free brand of jam or jelly that also does not have artificial flavoring or coloring or any of that weird crap in it ? Sugar is okay. You know, plain sugar, like things used to be made of back in the ancient times.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Does anyone know of a safe, gluten free brand of jam or jelly that also does not have artificial flavoring or coloring or any of that weird crap in it ? Sugar is okay. You know, plain sugar, like things used to be made of back in the ancient times.

Smuckers Jams and Jellies are all gluten free. I don't know what you consider "all that weird crap", though. Regarding Glucose Syrup, if it is derived from wheat, it would be required by law to be listed on the ingredients, such as "Glucose Syrup (wheat), in the United States.

Corn syrup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Tate & Lyle brand Corn Syrup being moved by tank carCorn syrup is a syrup, made using corn starch as a feedstock, and composed mainly of glucose. A series of two enzymatic reactions are used to convert the corn starch to corn syrup. Its major use is in commercially prepared foods as a thickener and for its moisture-retaining (humectant) properties which keep foods moist and help to maintain freshness. Because of its mild sweetness, corn syrup may be used in conjunction with highly-intense sweeteners.

Corn syrup is used to soften texture, add volume, prohibit crystallization and enhance flavor. [1]

The more general term glucose syrup is often used synonymously with corn syrup, since the former is most commonly made from corn starch.[2] Technically, though, glucose syrup is any liquid starch hydrolysate of mono, di, and higher saccharides[3] and can be made from from any sources of starch; wheat, rice and potatoes are the most common sources.

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a variant in which other enzymes are used to convert some of the glucose into fructose. The resulting syrup is sweeter and more soluble.

Until recently, a corn syrup variant used to be sold in the retail market, say in supermarkets, had a high glucose content. HFCS is also appearing in retail products. The largest and most popular market in the United States for corn syrup is Karo Syrup, a fructose/glucose syrup.[4]

It is in trend for corn syrup to be flavored with vanilla extract.[citation needed]
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 ive

ive

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Regarding Glucose Syrup, if it is derived from wheat, it would be required by law to be listed on the ingredients, such as "Glucose Syrup (wheat), in the United States.

I live in Canada and unfortunately Canada doesn't have allergen laws like in US. It is not required by law to list wheat or any other allergens here in Canada. Some manufactirers do that voluntarily, unfortunately not all of them. I realize that in US this situation would not be possible. However, this Hero company is based in Switzerland and they do supply jams to USA as well, I wonder if they have different labels in US.

I just never associated glucose syrup with gluten and wheat. I thought that this is just sugar dissolved in water. If not for this forum it would never have occured to me that jam might contain gluten. By the way, it is now a week since I stopped eating it and I do feel much better.
Better safe than glutened

Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Soy Free / Corn Free / Mostly Nut Free / Legumes Free
Low histamine / amine / glutamate diet
Restricted animal protein diet

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Well, at least the Smucker's website is good at listing ingredients and ease of navigating the site. http://www.smuckers.com

I was looking recently at jellies and the first few jars of Smuckers I picked up either had food coloring, (the low sugar marmalade) "natural flavors" or corn syrup in them. When I am in a hurry or tired if I pick up 3 or 4 different flavors of a brand and see it has those things, I tend to put it back on the shelf, if I can't get my built in memory chip to kick in with "did I look this company up on the internet already?" :blink:
It looks like the "simply fruit" kind of Smuckers (fruit syrup, the fruit, lemon juice, pectin, natural flavors) would work if the natural flavors are trustworthy.
I pulled up the Simply Fruit Marmalade page and it has fruit syrup, orange peel, orange juice, lemon juice, pectin, natural orange flavor.
http://www.smuckers....p...6&prodid=55

The question is why does the store not stock that, which I would have taken home, and instead had the stuff with the

"WATER*, SUGAR, ORANGE PEEL, ORANGE JUICE, FRUIT PECTIN, CITRIC ACID, LOCUST BEAN GUM*, POTASSIUM SORBATE ADDED AS A PRESERVATIVE, CALCIUM CHLORIDE*, NATURAL ORANGE FLAVOR, YELLOW 5*, YELLOW 6*. *INGREDIENTS NOT IN REGULAR MARMALADE."

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

There are a couple that I use one is Crofter's Organic and the other is the Polaner All Fruit and that one is marked gluten-free (in very tiny letters). It is so hard to find jams and jellies that don't have all kinds of stuff in them. I avoid high fructose corn syrup in addition to gluten and had a real hard time finding one that was just fruit.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Chevelle

Chevelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

So, can HFCS possibly have gluten in it? Or is it exclusively corn?

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

So, can HFCS possibly have gluten in it? Or is it exclusively corn?

It's corn, but it's very bad for you. Plain corn syrup, not so bad. High fructose, very bad!

#9 ThatlldoGyp

ThatlldoGyp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thank you so much for the warning! I just e-mailed the company to say, "way to go!" for using wheat!
Anyway, it is so easy to make your own jams. I mean, seriously simple. And if the pecting fails, you now have syrup, lol! So usually I make my own. Strawberries are in right now where I live and I have a good dozen jars made this afternoon. You should look into it. Simple, really easy and you KNOW it is safe!
When I want something different, I always have "Welch's" stuck in my head. They are listed as gluten-free in Cecelia's as well.

#10 mlapvillegas

mlapvillegas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

I buy ST.DALFOUR jam/jelly. The ingredients in one of the many flavors I have is: cranberries, blueberries, concentrated grape juice, fruit pectin. That's it! And they have more than a dozen flavors. My favorite is the Royal Fig.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

This topic is from 2008. 

Any info about products mentioned 7 years ago should be checked to see if it is still accurate.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: