This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sugar Intloerance?

feelingbetter

feelingbetter Rookie

Hi I am close to 3 months gluten-free and 2 months dairy free. I was starting to feel much better until I had some gluten-free cake and some maple syrup on Mothers day. I have really avoided sugar since going gluten-free. I had the maple syrup on some homemade gluten-free pancakes I made from scratch. Soon after I had them I became really, really tired. All I want to do is sleep. It is now 4 days after the fact and today I had a migraine and still really fatigued.

Does anyone else react to sweets like this? I am so discouraged as I was finally starting to have some energy before this happened. :(

Thanks Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast
Hi I am close to 3 months gluten-free and 2 months dairy free. I was starting to feel much better until I had some gluten-free cake and some maple syrup on Mothers day. I have really avoided sugar since going gluten-free. I had the maple syrup on some homemade gluten-free pancakes I made from scratch. Soon after I had them I became really, really tired. All I want to do is sleep. It is now 4 days after the fact and today I had a migraine and still really fatigued.

Does anyone else react to sweets like this? I am so discouraged as I was finally starting to have some energy before this happened. :(

Thanks Brenda

Hello Brenda

I have sugar intolerance but my reaction is completel different. 7-10 hours after eating sugar I get bloating, extremely painful stomach cramps and acne.

In your case now, I see 3 options....

1) maybe you have a different reaction to sugar than I do and all that fatigue feeling is actually because of your intolerance

2) candida....have you checked it? with sugar you feed it, when you cut the sugars it is dying and it is making you feel sleepy and extremely tired. Just check it...

3) or....maybe you had a CC accident? or another food intolerance? or it just happened and you not feeling so well and there is no disease hiding.....

Just some ideas....I hope you feel better soon.

feelingbetter Rookie

Meline- Thanks! I am thinking maybe your suggestion of candida could be it. It kind of makes sense that once I had the sugar I fed the little critters. I have also been craving sugar this week. I think I will really think long and hard before eating any sweets. I am on week 2 of taking a probiotic and olive leaf extract.

Brenda

MELINE Enthusiast
Meline- Thanks! I am thinking maybe your suggestion of candida could be it. It kind of makes sense that once I had the sugar I fed the little critters. I have also been craving sugar this week. I think I will really think long and hard before eating any sweets. I am on week 2 of taking a probiotic and olive leaf extract.

Brenda

Probiotic and olive leaf extract! good for you. Watch out for hidden sugar (avoid carrots, thay have lots of it). Maybe you can ask your doctor to run some tests in order to verify candida overgrowth so you will definately know if that is your case.

Any way I wish you already feel better. When I started olive leaf extract I couldn't get my head up. All I did for 1 week was sleeping all the time, and itching allover. But now everything is ok!!

kisses

Meline

sixtytwo Apprentice

There definitely is something to the sugar thing. I know that I feel better when I do not eat white sugar or anthing with it in it to any amount. Recently I gave it up (again!!!) and am feeling much better.......just attitude and I am so much more in control, not wanting to eat so much and all the time. Also I gave up all foods with flour, even the gluten-free kind, so that meant bread, pancakes, cake, cookies etc. It is hard, but I need to lost weight and this is how I can do it. When I do not eat sugar and flour, more just meat, fruits, veggies, potatoes, rice etc. I just do so much better and am so much more in control. I don't even think of food as much. Barbara

feelingbetter Rookie

Barbara you are right on with not eating any kind of flour products. That is what I was doing just before I had this recent setback. I do really well when I don't eat any flour or grains. I was feeling so well and that seems to be when I get kind of careless with my food. I am going back to big salads with a piece of meat. When I eat this way I have lots of energy and normal appetite.

Meline I am going to continue with the olive leaf and probiotic. Can you or anyone else recommend a good gluten-free/cf probiotic?

MELINE Enthusiast
Meline I am going to continue with the olive leaf and probiotic. Can you or anyone else recommend a good gluten-free/cf probiotic?

I am using ACIDOPHILUS (3 pills/day) and ACIDOPHILUS PLUS (2 pills/day) . The brand's name is HEALTH AID. It was my doctors recommendation. From the same brand I am also using mega multivitamins (ALL the vitamins you can imagine, in one pill). All of them are gluten/dairy/soy/casein / yeast free. I've been using them daily for about 7 months and I think they have helped me a lot.

You can see these products here: Open Original Shared Link

Meline

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Hi all

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are the benefits of olive leaf extract? Meline, I have a problem with my face with my face being constantly broken out, and I have tried EVERYTHING. that is not an exaggeration. While I was reading this, I wondered if this might help. I don't think I have a problem with Candida, but 6 months ago I didn't think I had a problem with gluten either. So, I am up for anything at this point.

Thanks

Liz

feelingbetter Rookie

lizard00- The olive leaf extract is an anti-fungal often used for candida. This could be the cause of your skin problems. Another possibility that comes to mind is dairy. Are you off all dairy?

My husband had the worst exzema for over a year. He went dairy free and all exzema cleared up after 2 weeks. Just a thought.

Meline- I called my doc and he has the probiotics plus by Metagenics which is gluten and dairy free. I will start using that one next week.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Thanks Feelingbetter. I am very dairy lite, but not completely off. I was for a while, but reintroduced it. I feel better without it, but right now, I'm waiting to do anything until I go to the GI next week. I figured out the gluten thing on my own, so I'm trying to see if I can actually do this in the right order and with some help other than what I read on my own. I'm hoping that he puts me on a elimination diet so that I can make sure I am avoiding all possible offending foods. I'm pretty sure that there's something more than gluten that is causing me problems. But I was thinking of starting the extract now and see if it helps at all. Then I can discuss further with him the possibilities of that... although I am ready to go if he is clueless... I just can't believe I haven't put the two together yet. :huh:

MELINE Enthusiast
Hi all

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are the benefits of olive leaf extract? Meline, I have a problem with my face with my face being constantly broken out, and I have tried EVERYTHING. that is not an exaggeration. While I was reading this, I wondered if this might help. I don't think I have a problem with Candida, but 6 months ago I didn't think I had a problem with gluten either. So, I am up for anything at this point.

Thanks

Liz

hi

as feelingbetter posted, olive leaf extract is used for candida. You can see the most frequent symptoms of candida here: Open Original Shared Link. Candida gives your body too many toxins that can cause skin problems.

as you will read, there are several skin problems caused by candida (for me that was not my symptom). Notice that you can use olive leaf extract even if you are healthy, and have no candida issue. But if you do have a candida issue, when you start taking olive leaf extract you will probably start feeling worst, your symptoms will be more intense, because of the candida dying-off. This is supposed to last for some days and then you will start feeling better. And that is an indication that you actually had a candida overgrowth. But you will also have to eliminate sugars (honey, fruits, sugar) because they feed the yeast.

Have you checked other food intolerances?They cause skin problems too. I had the WORST acne you can ever imagine (really....too much crying for that...) and it was all because of lactose. The day I stopped dairy/casein it was the day that acne stopped. I mean immediately stopped.

So Liz, my skin problems were ekzema because of gluten(but you say you are gluten free) and acne because of lactose. For me candida had no effect on my skin. But that was for me. You can always try the candida therapy and see how it goes.

I have no other idea about what may be the cause of your skin problems.....

I hope you will find a solution. have you tried the candida spit test? here is a link: Open Original Shared Link

Kisses

Meline

MELINE Enthusiast
lizard00- The olive leaf extract is an anti-fungal often used for candida. This could be the cause of your skin problems. Another possibility that comes to mind is dairy. Are you off all dairy?

My husband had the worst exzema for over a year. He went dairy free and all exzema cleared up after 2 weeks. Just a thought.

Meline- I called my doc and he has the probiotics plus by Metagenics which is gluten and dairy free. I will start using that one next week.

dairy can actually cause so so so many problems......

well here we don't have Metagenics ....but your doc recommends that so good for you! start taking these probiotics start feeling better!!!

lizard00 Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. I just went to one of our health food stores and talked to the woman who owns it, who is an ND. She suggested Olive Leaf and a liver cleanse mixture, which is dandelion root and milk thistle. I have heard of both of these and what they were for, but she said they may help with overall feeling better and with my face. When I went DF a few months back, I don't recall any drastic measures with my face. It may be that the breakouts weren't so bad, but I don't remember my skin clearing up that much either. Maybe it's just all the crud in my gut.

I thought I had gone my whole life without food intolerances, and now I think that they've been around a while, just gotten worse within the past year. Either way, I thought gluten was the answer. And it was a big part, but as most of us on here find out, it's only the beginning.

Thanks again for your help!

fedora Enthusiast

what tests are there to test for candida?

my homeopath told me that my shoulder pain was related to gluten and sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
lizard00 Enthusiast
what tests are there to test for candida?

From what I understand, there is an antibody test. Your doc should know about it, and if your docs a homeopath, he/she would probably be agreeable to doing it for you.

On a separate note; I started taking Pau D'Arco capsules in conjunction with the other stuff. My face looks better than it has in months. It's amazing. My doctor also gave me some probiotics- the brand name is Align. He highly recommends them because they are bifidobacterium, which he says is the best. Either way, I was happy that he suggested probiotics rather than a drug or anything. I've been taking them for a week now, and I was bloated for a few days, but that has finally gone away. Whether it's one thing or a combination of all, I feel and look better. Thanks for this thread, I may not have tried any of these things without it. :D :D

MELINE Enthusiast
From what I understand, there is an antibody test. Your doc should know about it, and if your docs a homeopath, he/she would probably be agreeable to doing it for you.

On a separate note; I started taking Pau D'Arco capsules in conjunction with the other stuff. My face looks better than it has in months. It's amazing. My doctor also gave me some probiotics- the brand name is Align. He highly recommends them because they are bifidobacterium, which he says is the best. Either way, I was happy that he suggested probiotics rather than a drug or anything. I've been taking them for a week now, and I was bloated for a few days, but that has finally gone away. Whether it's one thing or a combination of all, I feel and look better. Thanks for this thread, I may not have tried any of these things without it. :D :D

good news!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
frec Contributor

Every time I nail down another food intolerance my skin improves, most recently when I gave up soy. Now I am working to eliminate yeast and hoping for another improvement. At this rate I'll be a gorgeous model when I'm 80.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Well, at first I though dairy didn't bother my skin, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. I noticed my face was really clearing up, then I added little bits of dairy here and there, and my face started to breakout again. But for me, it's a gradual thing. It's not like I eat cheese today and be totally broken out tomorrow. It takes a few days and repeated ingestions. I'm still doing the liver cleanse, as the ND told me that my face was not clear yet and I still needed to do it. I'm going to experiment with the dairy some more.

• 1 month later...
Healthy Girl Explorer

DAIRY does a number on many peoples skin. ususally diet related acne is in the cheek bone area.

A

Archived