El Bell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

[FONT=Geneva][FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][COLOR=purple]

Hey

I was diagnosed with celiac about 2 months ago and I've completely implemented the gluten-free diet. So far I'm feeling mostly worse! I never had GI symptoms before (instead I was plagued with heat intolerance, inability to sleep, fatigue, loss of focus, exhaustion and the like). Now I have a lot of tummy aches bloating and gas too (yum, I know) and I can't eat any of the good stuff. I'm having a hard time finding gluten-free options in NYC ... I don't really know where to look. I've gained about 10 pounds since changing my diet (I used to eat all whole grains, and now I've got none in my diet) and that is bugging me. I'm really healthy; I work as a personal trainer and I'm studying nutrition - but I can't seem to get a handle on this.

Looking forward to some support from here ... don't know any other celiac folks and not really sure who to turn to for some advice on this. I figured you folks would know best! =)

Thanks
El

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

One suggestion is to try to quit looking for gluten-free "options." gluten-free replacement foods are loaded with empty calories. Just eat fresh meat, vegetables, and fruit.

richard

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

I love going to NYC!

Here is some stuff:
http://www.glutenfre...?showtopic=4418

#4 lbsteenwyk

lbsteenwyk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

To get more whole grain in your diet, brown rice and buckwheat flour are two options. We also use a lot of ground flax seed for extra fiber and nutrition. You can add it to baked goods - muffins, pancakes etc. I don't know how much cooking you're doing; it sounds like you are in school.
Laurie
Mom to:
Hayley age 4, gluten-free at 26 months
Clark age 3, negative celiac bloodwork

#5 El Bell

El Bell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:50 AM

I'm a grad student in NYC right now ... but I actually do tons of cooking. I used to bake and stuff too ... now I find that rather frusterating because I'm just not used to all the substitute flours yet.
I also used to be a vegetarian, so intorducing meat back into my diet has been a challenge - I still have to stay away from seafood because I'm allergic to that too.

I think right now I'm mostly grumpy about the whole thing. Its a big pain!

El

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:57 AM

It seems to me that in NYC, you would have tons of options! You should have larger stores, more whole foods, more specialty places to shop. Could it be that you have not yet begun to look in the right places? Look in your phone book for an Asian Market, that is how I found a place to shop for my gluten-free goodies.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

I can't rmemeber any specifically but I found a few health food stores off chance the last time I was in NY. celiac3270 knows of a few that are near him. If you head over to Greenwich/West Village you'l find a lot of gluten-free places and you could ask them about shopping places/recipies and such. I never ate much meat but after diagnosed ate a lot of chicken. I really do not like eating animals so stopped. You can still be a glutenfreeveggie! It does take time getting used to the different way of cooking but after a few months you will be suprised how much easier it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: