This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wake Up 3-4 Times Every Night

Leslie C.

Leslie C. Newbie

I have not slept well for about 15 years now and thought it was all hormonal. I wake up every night about 3-4 times. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Celiac. When I went back to the doctor yesterday for a follow-up, I mentioned that I'm still not sleeping well. He explained that it should get better as my intestines heal and my body gets back on track. Have any of you found that you sleep better after being on the diet for awhile? I'm hoping that I can look forward to a really good nights sleep in the future.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Most of the improvement in sleep patterns came once I started taking a sublingual methylcobalamin (B12). I'd highly recommend it. There is no known level of overdose, so take all you want. The recommended dosage is 3-5mg per day, preferably spaced throughout the day rather than all at once. The 1mg strength seems like a good way to do that. Just make sure it's the type I mentioned, because the typical B12 supplement (cyanocobalamin) is not nearly as effective, and contains cyanide.

There are no doubt other nutrients to consider, and I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and experiences.

HTH

kenlove Rising Star

I used top wake up every hour almost on the hour. After a few months of being totally gluten-free I could sleep though the night again.

I started the B12 Rice Guy mentioned becasue after a year of gluten-free my energy level was still pretty low and the B12 helped a lot with that.

Being TOTALLY gluten-free is really important though.

Good luck

Ken

I have not slept well for about 15 years now and thought it was all hormonal. I wake up every night about 3-4 times. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Celiac. When I went back to the doctor yesterday for a follow-up, I mentioned that I'm still not sleeping well. He explained that it should get better as my intestines heal and my body gets back on track. Have any of you found that you sleep better after being on the diet for awhile? I'm hoping that I can look forward to a really good nights sleep in the future.
Leslie C. Newbie

Can you tell me please where you get your B12? I found something on the internet called TriVita Sublingual B-12, B-6 & Folic Acid tablet, and it sounds pretty good.

kenlove Rising Star

I think mine is Nature Made from Costco. Just make sure it's gluten free, Don't know Trivita.

Ken

]

Can you tell me please where you get your B12? I found something on the internet called TriVita Sublingual B-12, B-6 & Folic Acid tablet, and it sounds pretty good.
RiceGuy Collaborator

Unfortunately, that product contains an inferior form of B12, which actually contains cyanide. It also still requires conversion by the liver, so the benefits aren't what they should be. Additionally, the liver must take on the task of disposing of the cyanide. I didn't see any gluten-free statements about it either.

Source Naturals makes one, as do others I'm sure.

plantime Contributor

I use a liquid B-complex, and it helps me immensely. I have also discovered that whenever my intestinal tract is upset, my sleep is disturbed. Celiac reactions to gluten upset my tract, and I just don't get good sleep after a glutening.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Leslie C. Newbie

Dear Dessa:

Thanks so much! What brand of liquid B complex do you use?

Leslie C. Newbie

Dear Rice Guy:

WOW! Where do you find the cyanide warnings! I just did a search under Source Naturals, but did not find any liquid B12 or sublingual B12.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Dear Rice Guy:

WOW! Where do you find the cyanide warnings! I just did a search under Source Naturals, but did not find any liquid B12 or sublingual B12.

They don't warn for it. The cyanocobalamin form is the most common, probably because it's cheap. Go figure. Here's one place to get the Source Naturals product: Open Original Shared Link

Leslie C. Newbie

Thanks again! I'm looking for a Sublingual tablet. The one you suggested looks like a regular tablet (that I probably won't completely digest). Do you know anything about this one:

Open Original Shared Link

RiceGuy Collaborator
Thanks again! I'm looking for a Sublingual tablet. The one you suggested looks like a regular tablet (that I probably won't completely digest). Do you know anything about this one:

Open Original Shared Link

Apologies for the late response. Since I don't do dairy, I wouldn't be one to use that product. The Source Naturals one is sublingual, so there are no digestion issues with it. Just for clarity, sublingual means it dissolves under the tongue. I'm not suggesting that it is the best product, but I know it works, and it's cheap. Also most others have ingredients I can't have, or am suspicious of.

Leslie C. Newbie

Thanks, Rice Guy! I just order the B12 from Source Naturals. By the way, I also noticed that I can get Digestive enzymes (which my doctor has recommended) several dollars cheaper from this website. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Archived