10 replies to this topic

#1 cycler

cycler

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

I came across this Gluten Free Shortbread Recipe on another site so I baked it and it was like eating grainy sugar crumbs - it was awful!

These are the ingredients -

1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar (confectioner's)
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup butter

Since it had the cornstarch as being added separately I used just rice flour and not the gluten-free flour mix.
Do you think that's why it was so bad? Or possibly it needed Xanthian Gum?

Is there any way to turn this into a decent cookie? I just want something that requires few ingredients and except for gluten-free flour mix not a lot of gluten-free specific ingredients.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:07 AM

Keep in mind that shortbread is supposed to be "sandy", that's part of its charm. Here's a recipe I use with a cookie press, but you could probably roll it out thin and cut squares.

1 c butter (two sticks, softened)
3 egg yolks - do not use whole eggs or texture will be completely different
1 t almond or vanilla flavoring
2/3 c sugar
2 c brown rice flour
1/2 c sweet rice flour
1/2 t salt

Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and flavoring. Gradually add in flours and salt, adding a little more or less flour to get the dough easy to handle - not too wet, not crumbly. It should hold together and not make a mess when you squeeze it into a ball. You could refrigerate it after it is all mixed to make it easier to handle, but usually I just use the cookie press to squeeze out bars or snakes - the little flower shapes never work for me. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
Bake at 400 for 7 - 10 minutes - you want them just lightly brown underneath and dry all the way through. Damn the cholesterol and full speed ahead.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#3 Breila

Breila

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

We've had really good luck with the shortbread recipe in the most recent issue of Living Without. I'm not sure how copyright rules apply to those sorts of things, so to be on the safe side I won't copy it here, but you may be able to find it on their site.
Blessings,

Amy, mama to 3 awesome boys!

#4 cycler

cycler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

Thanks!

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

Mine's very basic, but I love it!
1 stick butter (1/2c)
1c gluten-free flour blend
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4c sugar

melt butter, add flour, gum, sugar
mix well with a fork
refrigerate ~30 min.
roll out between 2 pieces of parchment
cut into whatever shape you like
bake 350 on parchment for 8-10 minutes or until just brown on edges, cool on pan for another 5min

I actually use this as my pie crusts too.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 SevenWishes

SevenWishes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

We've had really good luck with the shortbread recipe in the most recent issue of Living Without. I'm not sure how copyright rules apply to those sorts of things, so to be on the safe side I won't copy it here, but you may be able to find it on their site.

As I understand it, recipes are not copyright protected, except collectively...you can share individual recipes, but you can't copy the entire content of a magazine/book/website as your own. Particularly if you give credit to where you got a recipe, there probably is no worry about copyright rules being crossed, as far as I have ever been told.

#7 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

Anyone have luck subbing butter for something like Spectrum Shortening in a cookie recipe? I've been dying to make some cookies since going DF, and just bought some of the Spectrum. But have had so much bad luck w/ cookies...nervous to try it :blink:
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#8 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Anyone have luck subbing butter for something like Spectrum Shortening in a cookie recipe? I've been dying to make some cookies since going DF, and just bought some of the Spectrum. But have had so much bad luck w/ cookies...nervous to try it :blink:

I have been making gingersnaps and vanilla wafers with Spectrum instead of butter for pie crusts. I made Chex Mix with light olive oil yesterday...works great!
I made some vegan chocolate chip cookies with light olive oil too.
I bet you could even use 1/2 of each also.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#9 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

I have been making gingersnaps and vanilla wafers with Spectrum instead of butter for pie crusts. I made Chex Mix with light olive oil yesterday...works great!
I made some vegan chocolate chip cookies with light olive oil too.
I bet you could even use 1/2 of each also.

awesome! can't wait to give it a try. do you find light olive oil at the regular grocery store? all i have ever found is extra virgin.
Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

#10 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

awesome! can't wait to give it a try. do you find light olive oil at the regular grocery store? all i have ever found is extra virgin.

Yep...Karina from gluten-free goddess uses it so I thought I'd try it too!

My oily experience...
I made egg free/gluten-free/dairy free choc chippers and they turned out great except they didn't spread out much.
Then I made egg free/ dairy free/ GLUTEN choc chippers and they were way too oily. I had to add more ingredients but not the oil, then the cookies were too chewy and still oily! But my dh said they were good and he is a little picky...hmm.
My advice, use oil with caution unless you have a great recipe. Try 1/2 the amount of oil.
Cooking Free has the gingersnap and vanilla wafer recipes with the spectrum.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#11 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Yep...Karina from gluten-free goddess uses it so I thought I'd try it too!

My oily experience...
I made egg free/gluten-free/dairy free choc chippers and they turned out great except they didn't spread out much.
Then I made egg free/ dairy free/ GLUTEN choc chippers and they were way too oily. I had to add more ingredients but not the oil, then the cookies were too chewy and still oily! But my dh said they were good and he is a little picky...hmm.
My advice, use oil with caution unless you have a great recipe. Try 1/2 the amount of oil.
Cooking Free has the gingersnap and vanilla wafer recipes with the spectrum.

yes, she's the reason i've been looking for it. i am also on an IBS diet, so i've been trying to avoid extra fats/oils, so that's a good idea to use half the oil. i usually sub applesauce for half the oil in a baking recipe.
Sweetfudge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: