This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Taking Pamine (methscopolamine)?

jmengert

jmengert Enthusiast

I have both IBS and celiac disease, and my gastro prescribed Pamine (the generic is Methscopolamine) to help with my IBS. I'm currently taking hyoscyamine, and I seriously doubt it's still helping me (I've been on it for 5 years). I hate trying new medicines because almost all of them make me nauseous, so I'm curious if anyone is on or was on Pamine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dizzy Rookie

Hi, I havent tried that one, but have tried the hycomine (spelling?) I think thats the kind that you can dissolve under the tongue, but that didnt work well for me. I had best luck with dicyclomine, I have been taking it now for 16 years, but for the past 5 years I dont need to take it everyday, only when symptoms act up real bad. maybe you could ask your doctor about it? oh, and it was for my IBS...

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks--I'd never heard of dicyclomine before; I have an appointment next week, so I'll have to ask about that next week.

Oh, the joys of having both Celiac AND IBS

mela14 Enthusiast

Is hyoscomine ..Levsin?

If so, my experience with levsin and Levbid have been that they never really helped the IBS and in addition to making me very dry it gave me terrible migraines.

I started taking Zelnorm for the IBS with bloating and initially it helped but lately I don't feel it working that well.

I've never heard of the other drug.

jmengert Enthusiast

Yeah, hyoscyamine is generic for Levbid, Levsin, some others, too, I think. When I was first put on it, years ago, it helped tremendously. Now, I feel like it doesn't work at all. Maybe I grew immune to it?....

My doctor tried Zelnorm one time, but I have diarrhea prevelant IBS, and it's supposed to make that A LOT worse, so I never took it (and was upset my doctor didn't realize that huge side effect!)

Rikki Tikki Explorer

How do they diagnose both IBS and celiac? I just don't see how they can say both. I was diagnosed with IBS for many years before someone thought to check for celiac.

I am just curious.

Thanks

jmengert Enthusiast

Sally, I think that's a great question, and one I really would like the answer to. As far as my personal experience, I was diagnosed with IBS five years ago but was never tested for Celiac (I had never even heard of celiac disease five years ago). They assumed it was IBS because I immediately felt almost 100% better after they put me on an anti-spasmodic (Levbid); thus, that's how they "diagnosed" me. I felt really good for five years (other than the occasional flare-up, which is common with IBS).

But, I now have been confirmed with celiac disease through blood tests about 2 1/2 months ago--I'm still taking the hyoscyamine because I'm assuming I still have IBS, but who knows? I've heard that celiac disease can lead to IBS, so I may have had undiagnosed celiac disease that gave me IBS. At any rate, I'm seeing my gastro on Tuesday, so I plan to ask him all of these questions; I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

Sally, as requested here's what I found out from my gastroenterologist about IBS and Celiac. She feels that I still have IBS, even with my celiac disease diagnosis. She said it's quite common for people to have both. Thus, she wants me to keep on my IBS meds (either Levbid, which isn't really doing anything anymore, or Pamine, which I've been nervous to start because I hate taking medicines, especially new ones). So, if you still have symptoms after being gluten-free for awhile, it may be IBS, too, at least according to my doctor. Of course, my experience with IBS is that it comes in spurts and it's certainly easier to control than celiac disease.

I hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any questions/comments. I hope you feel better soon--it sounds like you've had a lot to deal with in celiac disease, so feel free to drop me a line any time.

Archived