12 replies to this topic

#1 lynne1978

lynne1978

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

Can anyone help me... I just spent about an hour licking thankyou letter envelopes for my sons birthday and now feel really tired and sick and have a cracking headache. I am in the process of being dx and was wondering is it a relatively common thing for it to be in them and is there enough gluten to cause a reaction like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

I had problems licking envelopes too. Was getting sick every Sunday and that was the only thing I could figure out.
I pay bills on Sunday and as soon as I stopped licking I was fine. Paying bills was really making me sick!
(Especially the electric company B) )

Can anyone help me... I just spent about an hour licking thankyou letter envelopes for my sons birthday and now feel really tired and sick and have a cracking headache. I am in the process of being dx and was wondering is it a relatively common thing for it to be in them and is there enough gluten to cause a reaction like this?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

Glue sticks are your friend! :P
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

http://www.glutenfre...mp;#entry327359

Here is a link to previous posts.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 katifer

katifer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

YES i feel horrible if i lick an envelope!!! absolutely gluten!

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

Just because something makes you sick does not necessarily mean it contains gluten.

I am a celiac. I react to gluten.

If I eat shellfish, I get very sick.

This does not prove that shellfish contain gluten--they don't. It proves that, in addition to having celiac disease, I am also allergic to shellfish. :(

There are many things in the paper itself that makes up the envelope that you could be sensitive to. And, gluten or not, if you ingest enough adhesive, well, it could be an irritant.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#7 sneezydiva

sneezydiva

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

Just because something makes you sick does not necessarily mean it contains gluten.

I am a celiac. I react to gluten.

If I eat shellfish, I get very sick.

This does not prove that shellfish contain gluten--they don't. It proves that, in addition to having celiac disease, I am also allergic to shellfish. :(

There are many things in the paper itself that makes up the envelope that you could be sensitive to. And, gluten or not, if you ingest enough adhesive, well, it could be an irritant.

You're point is well taken. I know when my allergies act up, I now wonder if I got gluten, and once I can confirm I haven't, I have to remind myself it is just my allergies. It is too easy sometimes to blame gluten.

However in this case, envelope adhesive does contain a food based adhesive whether it be corn, tapioca or wheat. It is possible for it to contain gluten. The companies can tell you what they want, but envelopes aren't a food, and aren't regulated by the FDA. They can change the adhesive at will, and you will never know it. It's not a chance I'm willing to take. You can buy a little sponge at office supply stores to wet the adhesive without licking it.
Celiac blood testing negative July 2007
Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007
Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)
Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms
Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted
Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.
Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms
IBS symptoms
Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

http://www.coeliac.c.../living/116.asp

Found this article and shall continue to look. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

I haven't licked an envelope since I got a paper cut on my tongue. I am fan of those sponge moistener things for envelopes. Especially with that many, gluten or no, you're ingesting glue. The other thing I will do is moisten my finger with spit (say if I'm out at the ATM) and then rub it on the glue. If I need more spit, I use another finger. Licking an envelope is not worth the risk of gluten ingestion or a sore tongue.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#10 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

It is interesting that there are so many reports on no gluten in envelope adhesive yet it continues to get so many of us sick.
I have to wonder if the envelop manufacturers, who might just order adhesive from another company, really know the ingredients of the adhesive. I'll write a friend at 3M and see if they have anything to say about it.
Ken

http://www.coeliac.c.../living/116.asp

Found this article and shall continue to look. :)

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

someone on the board actually called the only major manufacturer of adhesive for envelope glue, and nope - doesn't contain gluten. from all the checking up on it that's been done, it appears to be an urban legend. of course, it's a very easy thing to avoid - use a sponge, use a damp paper towel, use your finger (just once, of course!). I still avoid licking them even though I know it's a gluten myth.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

Better yet, buy self sealing envelopes. I make up a page of labels for all the bills I write on a regular basis; water co, gas co, electric etc. So I use self sealing envelopes with a label instead of having to seal the envelopes that come with the bill. Whether the glue contains gluten or not, I don't like the taste of most of the glues they use and would rather not lick who knows what off an envelope.

someone on the board actually called the only major manufacturer of adhesive for envelope glue, and nope - doesn't contain gluten. from all the checking up on it that's been done, it appears to be an urban legend. of course, it's a very easy thing to avoid - use a sponge, use a damp paper towel, use your finger (just once, of course!). I still avoid licking them even though I know it's a gluten myth.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#13 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:00 AM

Completely OT, but Violet? Love your quote in your sig!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: