This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dapsone

swimmer875

swimmer875 Newbie

I have been on Dapsone for my DH for a while, and I finally had weaned myself off of it about a month ago... however I ate something, I don't know what, and broke out, and i started taking it again. However, I also noticed a couple things that have been really bothering me in association with Dapsone. For the longest time while taking Dapsone, I had no problems... then I had the liver problems and had to go off of it. However, after my liver straightened up and I started taking it again, I (along with my girlfriend) noticed that I get really moody when I'm on Dapsone. Is there a proven correlation or has anyone else experienced this? Again, it didn't do this until after I went off it for about a month (I was itching like crazy though). When I started taking it again, it was like I was always depressed, and when I finally weaned myself off it, I felt like a different person. I was never angry or depressed or anything like I had been. However I started taking it about a week ago again, and I feel horrible right now, like really depressed for no reason and feeling kinda worthless and I get irritated and angry very easily too... like I have a short fuse. I never used to be like this until a couple months ago and I wasn't merely a week ago when i wasn't on Dapsone. It's bothering me really bad because i even KNOW that I shouldn't be feeling like this, I just do. It bothers my girlfriend for obvious reasons too. I am trying to quit taking it again because I honestly believe that it makes me feel better emotionally. But I do wanna know if anyone knows if that is a possible side effect, or if I am just using the medicine as a copout. Thanks---

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I've never heard of this as a side effect but you vcan do a google search and find them or ask your pharmacist for a list if side effects.

richard

• 5 months later...
snipe12 Rookie

Weird you mention that, I seem to have been having a similar problem.

Out of interest how did you know you had liver problems, from tests or did you become ill?

lovegrov Collaborator

If you're taking dapsone, your doctor should be doing regular blood tests and liver panel. I never had a liver problem but my white cell count was way off at first.

If you haven't gone gluten-free you need to.

richard

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I think a lot depends on how much you arev taking.

Some people when they start take like 200MG a day. Currently, I take 25mg (1 pill) every day or every other day). If I stop taking dapsone, the DH will come back - it always does -- and yes, I have new pots and pans, gluten-free toiletries and I rarely eat out -- for some reason, it doesn;t go away.

Anyway, I have been on it for 8 years (albeit a low dose) and my CBC has always returned normal.

For what its worth, when I used to drink and take 50 mg of Dapsone, I had moody issues -- but I always viewed it as stress, being hungover (colllege days) and working in a restaurant..

Who knows?

BTW< what is your dosage?

• 2 weeks later...
snipe12 Rookie

I normally take 50mg a day. Sometimes less sometimes more but an average of 50mg. I have not had any blood tests at all and have been taking it for about 5 months. I have considered getting blood tests but never got round to it as I work up to 70 hours some weeks. I should really get some tests.

I am gluten free but still seem to get some itching once in a while even when I have only eaten food items that I know to be gluten free. I honestly think half of it could be in my head and dapsone these days is a placebo. As they say the mind is a very powerful thing.

Interesting you mentioned the alcohol and mood problems. I went out drinking last night and I have been feeling moody/depressed all day. Could be down to the fact my skin is itching due to my yeast allergy. Drives me f**king mental all the food allergies I have, I just wish I could eat and do what I want just like 99% of other people out there.

bill-kelly Newbie
I normally take 50mg a day.  Sometimes less sometimes more but an average of 50mg.  I have not had any blood tests at all and have been taking it for about 5 months.  I have considered getting blood tests but never got round to it as I work up to 70 hours some weeks.  I should really get some tests.

I am gluten free but still seem to get some itching once in a while even when I have only eaten food items that I know to be gluten free.  I honestly think half of it could be in my head and dapsone these days is a placebo.  As they say the mind is a very powerful thing.

Interesting you mentioned the alcohol and mood problems.  I went out drinking last night and I have been feeling moody/depressed all day.  Could be down to the fact my skin is itching due to my yeast allergy.  Drives me f**king mental all the food allergies I have, I just wish I could eat and do what I want just like 99% of other people out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bill-kelly Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, working 70 hours a week and dealing with a hangover is depressing all in itself - never mind the whole gluten-free thing. I try my best to maintain the diet, gave up on boozing and take about 25mgs of dapsone a day. Been doing this for over 5 years, my skin stays clear and I would never characterize myself as depressed - a little grumpy here and there, but nobody's perfect...

Archived