51 replies to this topic

#1 rmmadden

rmmadden

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:31 AM

I was wondering how many people exercise on a regular basis and what kinds of exercise do you do?

Since falling ill in August I noticed that I feel better when I walk (especially after eating). The chest aches etc. that I have generally go away and I feel better. Unfortunately mother nature makes it hard to walk in Cleveland this time of year (it's 7 degree's and snowy here today). I am a bit afraid to do more than walking in that the chest aches I get from being celiac disease scare me. I don't want to hurt myself or anything. I've never been short of breath from exercising but I wonder how much strenous exercise celiac disease people do and how do you feel afterward.

Thanks for your input.

Cleveland Bob :)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:06 AM

I lift weights 3x a week and ride my bike every day. I've been diagnosed for a little over two years and had terrible problems staying active right before and up to a year after DX. My symptoms were swollen joints, fatigue, chest pains, and asthma-type breathing problems. I was also very anemic, so I'd get tired quickly (I can actually remember downing between 2 and 4 Hershey bars during short mountain bike excursions to keep my energy up in the beginning).
Have you been tested for anemia? That might help. Unless I am accidentally glutened, I exercise without issues now. Good luck!
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:31 AM

I play tournament fastpitch softball for a team here in MD. We practice indoors right now obviously because of the snow and cold. We sometimes play 5-6 games a weekend and the more I play the better I feel.
I also, walk and jog (either on a treadmill or outdoors depending on the weather) and do yoga.
I have no problem with any types of exercise

When I do get short of breath I find that it leads to anxiety attacks for me. Fortunately, being off of gluten I rarely get that unless I get gluten in me accidentally.

Do you always feel short of breath or just after you eat?
Do you ever feel nausea after you eat?

Hope this helps some:)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:13 AM

Right now I play indoor soccer once a week and I also go snowshoeing for about half an hour 1-3 times a week (There is tons of snow here where I live)! B)

I try not to push myself since I still get sick some days and because my energy levels are low.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

I try to exercise every day, but much of it is indoors - weights, yoga, swimming. Sometimes I run on a treadmill, so that's indoors as well. (Walking, soccer, tennis, archery, and frisbee playing all take place outdoors.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Yoga - Once week (Intestinal therapy)

Lift Weights - 3-4x a week (Glass of Wine - 6oz curls - 3-4x a week :D )

Cardio - Exercise Bike - 4-5x a week

My symptoms got worse when I first began tp work out and got better after 6mos - 1 year - now I have tons of energy (along with a great gluten-free diet)

#7 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

How do you get started doing yoga? I'd like to... but just by myself. Is that possible? Are there books and tapes out there? I'm sure there would have to be... what do you guys do?

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

I have a dvd that's for yoga...there are tapes and everything out there for them. There are ones for beginners and then more advanced ones as well. You can do it by yourself. It's very relaxing and just takes away stress for me :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

You can do yoga by yourself, but it is MUCH safer to work with a qualified instructor who can help you with your form and a practice that is safe and suitable to you and your body. Learning to do the poses and breathing in ways that will not harm your body is important, and something only a teacher can do while you practice. (A video can help, but it's not the same.) This is PARTICULARLY true if you have delicate joints - especially your back, neck, or knees, or any particular medical conditions like high blood pressure.) I do much of my yoga at home, but go to class once a week.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

If you don't have a qualified instructor to take yoga from, order a Beth Shaw video off of yogafit.com.
My instructor says she is the real deal and where she got her training.
I do yoga, I ski, I waterski, run on the treadmill, lift weights.
I've always excercised so my diagnosis won't change anything.

Edited for spelling.

#11 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

I do PE for school 4 days a week soccer 3 and games on sat and sun
Molly

#12 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:19 PM

Hi,

I bicycle 150-170 miles a week, run/jog a few times a week, and do a moderate upper-body weights workout 2-3x a week. I try to walk or ride my commuter bike on errands and my husband and I take a walk (more of a stroll) most evenings after supper.

I think Celiacs can exercise. But I know I have trouble keeping up my endurance level like I use to. I eat ALL OF THE TIME to keep up my energy levels and I try to time protein and carb intake after workouts to increase muscle recovery/building.

I would say if you were having chest pains you should talk to your doctor. I check in with mine every now and again about my cycling and other exercise activities.

I agree with Tarnelberry, when you start yoga it is so much safer to have an instructor and having an instructor often means that you are getting the most out of your efforts because of proper technique.

Best Wishes All!

#13 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

I do aerobics 5-6 days a week (Jazzercise) and Yoga once a week and when I can a little yoga at home. But I need the motivation by an instructor (not to mention getting there to get my hard earned money's worth) by going to a class.

I agree with the above..you need a qualified yoga teacher to start with to be able to get the positions right. Go easy though, none of that "power yoga" to start.

I do notice now being totally gluten-free I get tired more quickly and a ton of yard work on top of the exercise above, does me in and I need a day or two break from all of it.

Chest pains I don't think are normal for celiac disease and I'd see a doctor about that. There may be something else going on.

But yes, yes...by all means exercise when you can........we are never to old, and hopefully never to sick to move..l
you've heard the expression, "move it or loose it"...........it's true!!!

Kandee

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:01 AM

I do yoga once a week with my instructor then i do tapes at home throughout the week till i see him next. It is true that it is alot better to have an instructor to guide you to make sure you are doing it right. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#15 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:34 AM

I walk. Outdoors, I just walk leisurely around my small town, indoors, I use a Gazelle. I have arthritis, which is now progressing at a horrible rate, so I am limited in what I can do without severe pain. I have found that just leisurely walking helps control things, including my mood. I do range-of-motion for the rest of my body.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: