51 replies to this topic

#16 rmmadden

rmmadden

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:49 AM

Thank you all for your input on exercise. I love to walk (sometimes up to 3-4 miles a day) but as In said it's tough this time of year. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can get back to my regular schedule. Like I said the exercise usually makes the chest/muscle aches go away and I've never been short of breath.

I have noticed that I do get tired and I try to watch how much I do or how often. Hopefully as I heal-up I rebuild my system I can start to jog or do more strenous exercise.

Thanks again for all your info.

Cleveland Bob :)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

If walking helps with the aches then keep doing that. But you might want to check with your doctor just to make sure everything is alright.

I never get pain or aches in the chest what i get is more like a shortness of breath. And that's pretty much only when I am "glutened"

Do you get aches only after you eat? Like have you noticed a pattern?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#18 KLTerry

KLTerry

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:36 PM

You should try a treadmill. Of course, I have a membership at a gym that I haven't been to in a month or so. I'm new to gluten-free, so I'm having a hard time getting adjusted, and I'm SO SO SO tired.
Diagnosed 6/04
Diagnosis retracted 7/04
Diagnosed again 8/04
Trying to be gluten free since 1/05. It's hard!

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 curiousJ

curiousJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hi -
Love these threads on Celiac & exercise! I'm a marathon runner, and I pretty much run every day. Lately, most of my runs have been indoors (on the treadmill at the gym) - but it's much more fun to run outdoors.... Even in the snow.

I've found that since I started the gluten-free diet, my energy levels have risen tremendously (most likely 'cause I got the anemia under control). You do have to make sure you're eating enough, though... I seem to have much more energy when I run after having had at least one meal than when I run before breakfast.

Interestingly enough, during a "gluten episode", my stomach tends to feel better when I'm running than when I'm just sitting around (perhaps because blood is directed to the leg muscles instead of the stomach??) - Anyone else find this to be the case? Afterwards, however, it can be just as bad as before running (or sometimes worse).

Don't have chest pains (could breathing in cold air be the culprit in your case?).

Happy trails!

#20 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old, but talking exercise and celiac disease is so relavent to me that I just had to bring it up.

I've read research on Celiac Athletes (all two reports that were ever written) and it suggested that elite Celiac Athletes increase their caloric intake and frequency of meals to compensate for celiac disease. I can say that I've found that to be true, I eat often and a ton.

I tried Larabars recently and I'm hooked. The Cherry Pie flavor is my favorite! Finally a delicious gluten-free energy bar! Though because it doesn't have chocolate non of my non-celiac friends will try it :lol:

Does anyone who races or particpates with a group wear Celiac related clothing or work to bring awareness about celiac disease? I wear a Gluten Solutions jersey, but that's it (oh and I talk about it), anyone else have "athlete tested" ways of promoting awareness?

Have a Great Day!

#21 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

I've read research on Celiac Athletes (all two reports that were ever written) and it suggested that elite Celiac Athletes increase their caloric intake and frequency of meals to compensate for celiac disease. I can say that I've found that to be true, I eat often and a ton.

I also have to eat a lot, especially before and after exercising. I lose energy very quickly if I don't eat well before I excercise and I am always hungrey after I excercise.

Aside from excercising, I find that I get hungrey very quickly after I eat a meal, and I have to eat again! (My mom is always commenting on how much I eat). Even though I eat a ton of food, I don't gain weight, it's strange.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#22 Karina

Karina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

I am going to hop on the exercise train again soon here. I have osteopenia and the doc said I need to do weight bearing exercise. I have since heard that lifting weights is the best thing to get bone growth--muscle grows the bone has to grow with it. I think I am going to start my am yoga stretches again too as I am very inflexible and really need to work on this.

Bob, I get chest pains sometimes too. The docs think it is muscular and i have had EKG and bloodwork and echocardiogram done too to be on the cautious side. I agree with others, that it is definately worth mentioning to your doc--(I am a CCU nurse B) ). But I thought I would let you know it could be something muscular like costochondritis. It is scary though, because it does sometimes feel like it could be cardiac or something, but for me I have decided it must not be. I just know how it can feel to have a symptom that others don't seem to have and you mention it and people are like "RUN don't walk to the doc about this!" . The anxiety of that could bring on a heart attack all by itself :lol: ! Anyway you need to be smart, and if you get any other symtpoms with that pain then by all means see your doc soon. Otherwise you still should mention it when you get a chance, but it could very well be muscular--esp. b/c increased activity seems to relieve it.

Take care and happy walking!
KARINA

#23 pisand13

pisand13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

I guess my question is why do you feel less energized when you go gluten-free? I have read several posts that people once diagnosed feel a reduction in stamina and energy and am surprised.

Is there empirical scientific evidence that celiacs have decreased energy?

I mean gluten is a protein versus a complex carbohydrate. It isn't an energy source, although it is in wheat and other staple carbs in the western diet. Is your feeling of depletion confounded by the disappointment (sometimes depression) that is comorbid with the diagnosis? Further still but a sudden decrease in comsumption of carbohydrates fearing gluten intake?

As an epidemiologist and pro fighter, I have a particular interest here, and think there may be covariates that actually can moderate or mask the relationship between gluten-free <--->ENERGY. I would think there should be an increase in energy from not having to endure the GI problems, the increased absorption of vital nutrients, and if you maintain your carbohydrates through rice, etc. an overall spike in energy.

#24 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

Hi Pisand13,

I replied to your other post in the other string as well earlier. I think the reason why I have less energy at times it because I find it more challenging to fuel my body with enough nutrient packed food. And when I say that I have less endurance I mean as compared to before my celiac disease really manifested. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes!

#25 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:49 AM

I for one have more energy since being gluten free. I was barely able to do anything before I would get tired so easily and sleep whenever I could. I played sports then too and the weekends that I would play I would pay for the next week when I couldn't do hardly a thing. I can now do those things without feeling run out. I think some people don't get enough protein and carbs don't get the proper energy. That's for people without celiac as well...if you don't eat the proper foods that help give you energy then you won't have the energy.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#26 pisand13

pisand13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:45 AM

Kaiti I think your are probably right...a combination of not getting enough carbs & protein can sap your energy. I thing I have taken in the past is Endurox...although now, I am waiting for the company to contact me regarding gluten-free status of the product. It combines carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio for rapid rehydration and rejuventation. There is a gluten-free product called Carb=BOOM I just ordered that others who exercise frequently may want to try.

I think priming your body is vital to being able to perform and sometimes supplementation is necessary for those of us on the go and don't have time to eat 10 small meals a day :D

#27 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

Interestingly enough, during a "gluten episode", my stomach tends to feel better when I'm running than when I'm just sitting around (perhaps because blood is directed to the leg muscles instead of the stomach??) - Anyone else find this to be the case? Afterwards, however, it can be just as bad as before running (or sometimes worse).

Yes, I find this to be absolutely the case. And I thought the same before, it is, because the blood is NOT in the stomach or guts, but somewhere else. And before my diagnosis, I tried to work out as much as I could, because when I was working out I almost never had any pain. But afterwards then, I always had a lot of pain (or sometimes even worse than before as well). Now I'm all better since going glutenfree. But sometimes (very rare though) I still have a little stinging in my guts where the pain was before. Oh well, i think, I'm just adjusting.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#28 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:40 PM

Does anyone who races or particpates with a group wear Celiac related clothing or work to bring awareness about celiac disease? I wear a Gluten Solutions jersey, but that's it (oh and I talk about it), anyone else have "athlete tested" ways of promoting awareness?

Yes, I'm planing a Sweater and/or T-shirt for our travel team. That will have the team-name on the back and on the front something like: "sponsored by Stef G...glutenfree". I don't know, still working on it. I wanted to put it in a rhyme though. But at the moment i'm really busy with finishing all our team suits first. I will give you guys the Pic-Url, when the suits and/or the celiac awareness clothes are done. It will be quite nice, I'm sure :lol: .

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#29 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:11 PM

I had almost no energy before I went gluten-free. Now I can walk for 1 or 2 hours a day and ride a bike also. Before going gluten-free I could barely do any of these things. When i don't get to exercise I have less energy the next day.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#30 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

I'm finding it a real challenge to do any excercise at all. I get really short of breath, and my balance isn't good at the best of times, but if I'm tired :rolleyes: ...when aren't I tired? ...I'm worse.
My heart races all the time too. I have a faster than normal heartrate. I can't remember exactly what the rate is, but I'm over 60 beats per minute sitting down.

I get a weird feeling just above my heart quite often. It's hard to descibe. Sorta like my heart is weary. Does that make sense?

Sorry for taking over this thread at this point. I'm a bit worried about myself. My doctor isn't giving me a lot of answers. I think he thinks I'm a bit of a hypercondriac (sp??) . :(
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: