51 replies to this topic

#31 sweetp

sweetp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:20 PM

i exercise at least six times a week, (training for a half marathon) i love running and i do totally fine, you just have to make sure you're getting enough carbs and protien, my doctor put me on a protien supplement. and it helps
diagnosed w/ ibs '02
tested positive naet '02
positive dietary changes
tested positive enterolab
allergies to:
almonds
pineapple :(
dairy
sugar cane (WHO in the world has ever heard of that??!!!!)
corn
gluten-free since 06/2003

<oooo>

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

I'm finding it a real challenge to do any excercise at all. I get really short of breath, and  my balance isn't good at the best of times, but if I'm tired  :rolleyes: ...when aren't I tired? ...I'm worse.
My heart races all the time too. I have a faster than normal heartrate. I can't remember exactly what the rate is, but I'm over 60 beats per minute sitting down.

I get a weird feeling just above my heart quite often. It's hard to descibe. Sorta like my heart is weary. Does that make sense?

Sorry for taking over this thread at this point. I'm a bit worried about myself. My doctor isn't giving me a lot of answers. I think he thinks I'm a bit of a hypercondriac (sp??) .  :(

Hey Maggie, I know the being short of breath and balance problem real good. I had that in my "end-stadium" so to speak, before I got my diagnosis. Since going glutenfree however it got better and better everyday. But when i'm sitting down, I have something around 60, too. Sometimes more and sometimes (very seldom though) less. And I still do now after being glutenfree. And with ingesting gluten I do have heart problems, too. But a rate around 60 while sitting is fine. And I have that weird heart feeling, too, sometimes. It's really weird, I can't describe it either, but I guess I know what you're talking about.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#33 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:20 PM

Stef, thanks for that. I feel so useless at times. I've only been gluten-free since December 1st 2004, so I guess it's still very early days, and as you said, it improves.
It's good to know people know what it feels like.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#34 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:39 AM

Hello Maggie,

if you started in December with your glutenfree diet and your like I was, then around now it should be much better. It took me like three month, too. I started with the glutenfree diet end of July and around September/October I already felt much better and in December I haven't had any heart problems at all any more.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
Shermans Dale, PA

#35 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

By the end of the year you should be feeling better than you ever have before. The first three months you won't feel that much better because you body is trying to heal and clean the poisons out. In another three months you should really start feeling different. Patience is required but it will be worth the wait.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#36 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, Ianm is right. You "poisoned" your body all these years, you can't expect that it's better in two weeks.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

#37 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

Boy, I'm tired out just READING about all this exercise!!! :lol:

If you count running after four kids, including four year old twin boys exercise, then yep, I exercise 24/7!!!!!! :D

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#38 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:41 PM

I'll hold onto those thoughts, Steph and ianm. This past few days especially, I feel really wrung out. So I'll try and look to the future and see that light at the end of the tunnel.

:huh: :)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#39 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:42 PM

If you have not been active in a while or tend to get out of breath, you might want to try stretching exercises such as Pilates. We also have a therapy tub (a hot tub if you don't have a doctor's note for it). We had fibromyalgia so badly that initially exercising was very difficult. The hot tub really helped and now we have begun the initial Pilates program. There are several out there that are similar. They can be order off the TV, internet, or at HSN.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#40 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:48 AM

Yes, it can be tough, if you didn't do much for a while. Even if you actually DID do something for a while it can be tough. I'm the best example. And the last couple of days I had my celiac student with fibro also standing in the gym and being real tired because all of that. A couple of weeks since diagnosis she was good now. And thursday she came to the lessons and complained about being extreme fatigue and short of breath and condition. I told here it sounded to me like she ingested gluten accidentaly. And then she said, yeah, she remembered questioning some food the day before. And at the weekend it just got worse. And yesterday she stood in the gym and couldn't do some kicks with her right leg anymore, because she "overdid" a muscle. So she has muscle fatigue, too. Just like me. That's how it can go, even if you work out like a nutball. So take it easy at the beginning. ;)
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

#41 lcmcafee2

lcmcafee2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:40 AM

Maggie,
I could have written your post ... your symptoms sound so similar to mine. Low energy, rapid heart rate, and that funny feeling (almost like an awareness of it beating in a empty drum?) I have never been able to get energy from exercising, it usually makes me feel sick. I am taking the words of advice from the experienced celiac disease folks "that it will get better".
I was diag. Nov 2004, and sort of watched what I ate until a month ago. So, I am really only a month gluten-free and waiting for the energy .... I am going out today to look into supplements to take to help as well.
The rapid heart rate I have is a result from taking beta-blockers for migraines for 25 years and now my normal/resting heart rate is around 95. I now take the same beta-blockers to keep the rate below 100! If I had know migraines could be a symptom for celiac disease I would have checked it out sooner. :angry:
Blessings to you,
Laura

#42 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

Laura
I had high pulse and low blood pressure when standing and my heart felt like it was racing and I would get so tired. They found out I have Graves Disease which is Hyperthyroid. You may want to have your thyroid checked it runs with celiac alot. My doctor told me there are rarely any celiacs with just celiac.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#43 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

;) :) :P How many of you guys and gals jog? I am thinking of trying to start it again

#44 lcmcafee2

lcmcafee2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:32 AM

There is no way in the world that I could jog at this time. OHHH even thnking about it makes me feel ill. (I am going to take Kati's advice and have the doctor check thyroid issues.)
There is a cool web site about running and it has an agenda "From couch potato to 5 K in -------- I forgot how long" I tried it when I wasn't symptomatic and did ok.
I just do not do well with exercise. Also, forgot where it is, but I remember I found it in a search using couch potato and 5K. :(
Good luck, my hubby runs @5 miles a day and he loves it. Get good shoes and a buddy to run with. B)
Blessings
Laura

#45 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:03 AM

I jog for about a mile mostly. When I don't have my daily excerise I get cranky :lol:
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: