This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Barilla Pasta Sauce

Bravie

Bravie Apprentice

I made some pasta tonight, and normally, would use del monte or hunt's. I decided to try out Barilla pasta sauce because it did not list anything I was allergic to. I am allergic to soy, and both Ragu and classico have soy in them. So I ate my pasta with the barilla sauce, 2 hours later, my body had started to become shakey and my stomach hurt. Then I had some slight D.

My question is, has anyone else had a problem with barilla sauces? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amelia01 Rookie

Many Barilla pasta sauces that are made and distributed in Italy are not only free of gluten but the company also declares (to the Italian Celiac Association) that they are free of any possible contamination. I'm not sure about soy, though, but I would gather that the company is very stringent about disclosure.

Maybe let their consumer hotline number know and see what they have to say.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This is their stance on gluten but I couldn't find anything on soy.

"Is Barilla Sauce gluten free?

Barilla does not add gluten to the raw materials used to make our sauces. At the present time, however, we cannot guarantee that our sauces are absolutely gluten free."

http://www.barillaus.com/Home/Pages/faq.aspx

If they don't have a phone number on the jar perhaps they have an email contact through the site to ask about the soy issue.

Bravie Apprentice

Well, i'm also pretty sensitive to soy, but I did not read anything on the lable implying that there was soy in the product. Thanks guys, that might explain my question <_< . hehe. No more barilla sauces for me. :lol:

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

It's hard to say whether it was a reaction to the Barilla or whether you had a virus. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try the Barilla again and see if you have the same response--and it's certainly understandable if you don't want to try that again!

katebuggie28 Apprentice

I used classico and got sick. I posted it, and everyone said that it might not be gluten, but just the acid in the sauce. They have recipes for less acidic sauces . Good luck.

Bravie Apprentice

Yea, it might not have been gluten now that i think of it...I only had D once since lastnight, and I basically feel back to normal now :lol:. Might've been acid, who knows :D .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bravie Apprentice
It's hard to say whether it was a reaction to the Barilla or whether you had a virus. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try the Barilla again and see if you have the same response--and it's certainly understandable if you don't want to try that again!

I'm pretty sure it was the barilla sauce. But anyway, I feel fine now. I only had D once since eating it.

mamaw Community Regular

Our celiac family has been eating Barilla for years & we never had an issue . One of us is very very sensitive but again never caused a problem..... hth

mamaw

• 6 years later...
lynllee Newbie

I have been glutened by Barilla pasta several times over several months. It took me a while to figure it out, because I kept saying "it's labeled Gluten-Free". I have been sooooo sick. I used the same pasta sauce that I always use; "Prego" usually Traditional or with Mushroom flavor. I've tried the pasta with olive oil as well, and it's still making me sick.

kareng Grand Master

Just an FYI - This thread is from 2008.

The pasta is certified gluten-free and made in a dedicated gluten-free facility.

http://www.barilla.com/gluten-free-pasta

cyclinglady Grand Master

Well, I think it is still gluten free. I serve it to my hubby who never reacts (he is my canary!) I do not eat it because I am allergic to garlic. Sometimes tomatoes, part of the nightshade family) bothers me. Also I am intolerant to mushrooms. Have been for 20 years. Just tested it again with some sautéed mushrooms and I got sick.

Chances are you are reacting to something other than gluten!

• 1 month later...
sadvilli Newbie

I usually make my own. But used to use Prego.

LauraTX Rising Star

I usually make my own. But used to use Prego.

FYI, Most of the info in this thread is 7 years old, so be sure to update yourself on some more current product info before buying pasta sauce.

notme Experienced

i use prego with no problems.  lots of the prego varieties are labeled gluten free :)  i usually make my own sauce but jar sauce is good for 'cheat' nights when i'm lazy ;)  i can't swear, but i think i've eaten the barilla with no problems, either.  i have a soy sensitivity, but if i don't overdo it, i can sneak a little.  i have been on the gluten free diet for 4+  years, so i might be more healed up and able to handle it...

bartfull Rising Star

I've had the Barilla organic sauce and I eat Prego too. No problems with either. I've had tinkyada pasta and Ronzoni gluten-free pasta and loved them both.

Like Arlene, I have been gluten-free for almost four years and have finally healed. Before that lots of things used to make me sick, even though they were gluten-free. Give it some time.

• 2 months later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Barilla is safe and most likely it was was of the other ingredients in it that bothered you. Possibly even the brand of pasta you used. Corn based pasta can be difficult to digest. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Whyya Newbie

Sorry guys, but BARILLA has soybean oil in it.  My reaction to it last night is all I need to know.

It doesn't have a lot in it, but is at least a mix of two oils, maybe olive and soy oil, and canola?

That way they can legally claim it has the olive oil in it.  I violated a cardinal rule when shopping - if the deal is too good to be true it probably is.  BARILLA is very cheap AND it still claims to contain EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.   Go to the olive oil shelf and look at the prices for the extra virgin stuff - anything but cheap.  Conclusion - soy reaction, cheap mislabeled sauce = don't buy.

I thought for a long time that gluten was my problem but have since (through agony you are all too familiar with) have learned it's SOYBEAN OIL.  Look at breads these days, they all contain soybean oil

as do many other things on the shelf.  Gluten is bad, but just saying there's always more to the story.

Good luck and hope this helps someone and thanks for the forum!

kareng Grand Master

Sorry guys, but BARILLA has soybean oil in it.  My reaction to it last night is all I need to know.

It doesn't have a lot in it, but is at least a mix of two oils, maybe olive and soy oil, and canola?

That way they can legally claim it has the olive oil in it.  I violated a cardinal rule when shopping - if the deal is too good to be true it probably is.  BARILLA is very cheap AND it still claims to contain EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.   Go to the olive oil shelf and look at the prices for the extra virgin stuff - anything but cheap.  Conclusion - soy reaction, cheap mislabeled sauce = don't buy.

I thought for a long time that gluten was my problem but have since (through agony you are all too familiar with) have learned it's SOYBEAN OIL.  Look at breads these days, they all contain soybean oil

as do many other things on the shelf.  Gluten is bad, but just saying there's always more to the story.

Good luck and hope this helps someone and thanks for the forum!

Just to clarify for those reading along - soy beans and soy bean oil DO NOT contain gluten. This poster appears to have a separate issue with soy.

And, as has been pointed out a few times - the original post was 7 years ago - the OP might not still be around and ingredients change.

Whyya Newbie

Yes, I got off topic a bit on the soy thing.  But wanted to address what Bravie had written about Barilla.

My point should have been that I have noticed more people eliminating gluten from their diets and still having problems of one sort or another - like me.  I knew I had a mild gluten sensitivity (if there is such a thing) and lactose intolerance and MSG allergy, but realized finally (by talking to a nutritionist at a natural grocery store) that my problem mostly was SOY - soy protein, soy oil, hydrolized soy protein, soy flower...  The kicker is that while many products with gluten are easy to avoid, products containing soy are not.  In fact, most any food that is packaged, processed or manufactured and sitting on your grocery store shelf has a form of soy in it and some even brag about being gluten free - because they've added SOY FLOUR!!

I guess I need to find the SOY=SICKNESS website and forum...but really do hope this helps someone struggling for answers and that the word will be spread.  I recently realized what my problem was - but not before suffering quite a lot.

Did you know hydrolized soy or corn protein is MSG?  I just can't figure out why food producers would keep putting it in our food.  It's 2015!!

cap6 Enthusiast

All of the above is why I really push for eating whole fresh foods.  Nothing processed.  There should be no ingregient list to read.  Healing is hard enough without subjecting our bodies to other ingredients that don't belong in our food.  Heal first then try adding a food product.  Just my little food rant for the day!  :)

• 4 years later...
Bolomark3 Newbie
On 5/22/2008 at 4:10 AM, Bravie said:

I made some pasta tonight, and normally, would use del monte or hunt's. I decided to try out Barilla pasta sauce because it did not list anything I was allergic to. I am allergic to soy, and both Ragu and classico have soy in them. So I ate my pasta with the barilla sauce, 2 hours later, my body had started to become shakey and my stomach hurt. Then I had some slight D.

My question is, has anyone else had a problem with barilla sauces? Thanks. :rolleyes:

We thought it was other contamination but we have narrowed the sickness to the Barilla Sauce. I know they claim it is Gluten Free but something in it triggers almost immediate sickness.