8 replies to this topic

#1 Bravie

Bravie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:10 AM

I made some pasta tonight, and normally, would use del monte or hunt's. I decided to try out Barilla pasta sauce because it did not list anything I was allergic to. I am allergic to soy, and both Ragu and classico have soy in them. So I ate my pasta with the barilla sauce, 2 hours later, my body had started to become shakey and my stomach hurt. Then I had some slight D.

My question is, has anyone else had a problem with barilla sauces? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Amelia01

Amelia01

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

Many Barilla pasta sauces that are made and distributed in Italy are not only free of gluten but the company also declares (to the Italian Celiac Association) that they are free of any possible contamination. I'm not sure about soy, though, but I would gather that the company is very stringent about disclosure.

Maybe let their consumer hotline number know and see what they have to say.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:23 AM

This is their stance on gluten but I couldn't find anything on soy.

"Is Barilla Sauce gluten free?
Barilla does not add gluten to the raw materials used to make our sauces. At the present time, however, we cannot guarantee that our sauces are absolutely gluten free."

http://www.barillaus.../Pages/faq.aspx

If they don't have a phone number on the jar perhaps they have an email contact through the site to ask about the soy issue.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Bravie

Bravie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Well, i'm also pretty sensitive to soy, but I did not read anything on the lable implying that there was soy in the product. Thanks guys, that might explain my question <_< . hehe. No more barilla sauces for me. :lol:

#5 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

It's hard to say whether it was a reaction to the Barilla or whether you had a virus. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try the Barilla again and see if you have the same response--and it's certainly understandable if you don't want to try that again!

#6 katebuggie28

katebuggie28

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

I used classico and got sick. I posted it, and everyone said that it might not be gluten, but just the acid in the sauce. They have recipes for less acidic sauces . Good luck.

#7 Bravie

Bravie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Yea, it might not have been gluten now that i think of it...I only had D once since lastnight, and I basically feel back to normal now :lol:. Might've been acid, who knows :D .

#8 Bravie

Bravie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

It's hard to say whether it was a reaction to the Barilla or whether you had a virus. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try the Barilla again and see if you have the same response--and it's certainly understandable if you don't want to try that again!

I'm pretty sure it was the barilla sauce. But anyway, I feel fine now. I only had D once since eating it.

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Our celiac family has been eating Barilla for years & we never had an issue . One of us is very very sensitive but again never caused a problem..... hth

mamaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: