This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Dizzy

monkeypuss

monkeypuss Rookie

just wondered if feeling really dizzy and like you're gonna pass out is normal when glutened? i havent read a great deal about dizzyness related to it, but since i've been ill i've been like this alot, i thought it was from not being able to eat much, which some of the time it probably is, but even when i've eaten, and often sugary stuff, i still get like it..i've fainted quite a lot too :/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

Being dizzy wasn't a main symptom from being gluttened for me although at times I got lightheaded and weak. Being dizzy is a main symptom from years of being poisoned though. I have had anemia on and off for years. Also I had low blood pressure. After a few months of being off gluten my blood pressure went up to a more normal level. It went down the other day but that was from a extreme weather change where the temperature went up to the high 90s. yuck.

veggienft Rookie

I got, or recognized I had, celiac after about 25 years fighting candidiasis. Here is a Lancet article showing that candidiasis and celiac are essentially the same disease .........at least for many people:

Open Original Shared Link

Yes, for all of my 25 year fight, dizziness was and is one of my strongest symptoms. There are probably many reasons. They include:

* Elevated blood sugar, both from the stomach contents emptying into the blood, and from pancreas attack

* Elevated blood ammonia levels from liver protein overload

* Combination of this ammonia with ingested oxidants .......ammonium chloride, a bad toxin

* Confused heart electrical impulses due to heart nerve attack and random calcium redeposition

* Nerve attack from the above chemicals combined with gliadin/cassein exorphin attack

Instead of eliminating one food at a time, go to a very strict exclusion diet. Then you can test foods by adding them back.

Candida albicans lives on the gut mucous membranes, thrives on sugar, and survives the oxidants which kill off competing beneficial gut bacteria.

Stop ingesting chlorinated water and foods with dyes. Stop ingesting sweets, including fruit. Stop ingesting glutenous grains. Stop ingesting milk, and cheeses containing raw milk. Those would include "American cheese", cream cheese, and sour cream. Stop eating glutenous grains and beans.

It might be easier to concentrate on what you can eat, and not what you can't eat. Get your protein from cooked meat, fish, fowl, and aged cheese. Get your carbs from rice, potatoes and corn. Eat lots of green veggies. Don't eat anything else until you improve.

However, improvement should be rapid. After a few months, then you can test one food at a time.

Oh .......don't lick envelopes or stamps.

Start eating probiotics, like plain live yogurt. Start taking reasonably large supplements of vitamin C and B complex.

KristaleeJane Contributor

Can a regular family doctor test and/or diagnose candida overgrowth in celiac patients? How is this normally treated?

veggienft Rookie
Can a regular family doctor test and/or diagnose candida overgrowth in celiac patients? How is this normally treated?

It can be tough finding a doctor who recognizes celiac as a disease, let alone finding one who recognizes the multitude of autoimmune connections or the un-reliability of celiac tests.

Medicine is driven by patient complaints. If a patient sees a doctor, and complains of a sore swolen tongue, oral thrush, anal or vaginal itch or rash, athlete's foot, eye inflamation...... then yes, most doctors would probably look into candida overgrowth. As most patients expect, though, most doctors deal in the known, the provable, or patient-obvious diagnoses. It results in the treatment of symptoms, and not the treatment of diseases.

Most doctors treat candidiasis with anti-fungal medications. Somewhat fewer doctors are willing to recommend an anti-candida diet. And without the diet candidiasis almost always returns.

As shown over and over again in these pages, most people are forced to self-diagnose their internal celiac symptoms via diet. I'm sure it's the same for most candidiasis patients. It certainly was for me.

Start with a model, and design a diet. If the diet works then stay on it. If you need a name for that, then call it celiac ........or candidiasis ......or both.

P.S. I can also eat cooked chicken egg.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I got dizzy a lot while I was still eating gluten (before I knew anything about gluten) but the thing was I am not sure if it was from the gluten or from my medicine I was taking for my pulse and then switch to a different one.

I have noticed though after being on the gluten free diet that I am not getting dizzy as much. Sometimes around "that time of the month" I get a little dizzy.

I bring cut up apples with peanut butter with me to work so if I get hungry I can snack on that (like an energy boost). I make sure I always have snacks with me at work so I don't get weak or dizzy feeling.

It could be from not eating that much. When I first started on the diet I was still figuring out what I could eat/what was safe so I was getting dizzy/icky feeling from not eating that much. There are a lot of foods at the normal store (not just health food stores) that are gluten free (just have to read the label). I am not sure about the UK how label laws are there but I do majority of my shopping just at the normal grocery store and buy things like gluten free mixes and gluten free pretzels at the health food store.

Hope you feel better :)

ShayFL Enthusiast

It is one of my biggest complaints. I hate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TheMinsterman Newbie

Define dizzy, do you mean spinning vertigo? The type of dizziness is a key step to discovering the source.

I've had inner ear fluid issues since getting ill in February (constantly everyday and is continuing as I type).

msmini14 Enthusiast

What kind of diet does one adhere to if they think they have candiden? I think I might have that problem, I should go to the doctor but I will get in trouble if I miss anymore work. My boyfriend laughed at me when I told him I am having problems. So, I need to stay gluten-free and stop eating carbs and sugar for Candiden?

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yeast aggravate Candida. Some cannot even tolerate fruit sugar.

Open Original Shared Link

I have tested negative for it via blood, saliva and fecal. I am so glad I did. I would hate to try to follow that diet if I did not need to.

• 7 years later...
T.Adams Newbie
On 5/22/2008 at 6:48 AM, monkeypuss said:

just wondered if feeling really dizzy and like you're gonna pass out is normal when glutened? i havent read a great deal about dizzyness related to it, but since i've been ill i've been like this alot, i thought it was from not being able to eat much, which some of the time it probably is, but even when i've eaten, and often sugary stuff, i still get like it..i've fainted quite a lot too :/

When I get glutened after a few hours I feel nauseous and dizzy, I get a headache, bloated tummy. And when it's real bad I will get woken up from being asleep with these waves that come over me that feel like I am going to pass out. It really freaks me out when that happens. I hope you feel better soon.

Archived