• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

Frances03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

I've called Knorr within the last 10 mos and was told that both the products I've used from them are gluten free. Those products are Knorr Caldo con sabor de Pollo chicken flavor bouillon, and Caldo de Tomate tomato bouillon with chicken flavor. Neither of them have any ingredients that would be gluten that I can see.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

To add to this discussion I think that Unilever may have made some changes in the last year or so. I know this was brought up in another thread but the regular original Lipton Onion soup mix USED to be gluten free but now has barley listed on it. For the record, it is not the kosher brand i was looking at either. I have started experimenting by making my own with gluten free beef bullion, sugar, onion powder, and minced or dried onions. I think Unilever has started making it a point to correctly label, but I think that they are still causing confusion with their statements and through their customer service department. I have been hearing customer service will say one thing, but the label will say another so I would trust the labels more than customer service.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

To add to this discussion I think that Unilever may have made some changes in the last year or so. I know this was brought up in another thread but the regular original Lipton Onion soup mix USED to be gluten free but now has barley listed on it. For the record, it is not the kosher brand i was looking at either. I have started experimenting by making my own with gluten free beef bullion, sugar, onion powder, and minced or dried onions. I think Unilever has started making it a point to correctly label, but I think that they are still causing confusion with their statements and through their customer service department. I have been hearing customer service will say one thing, but the label will say another so I would trust the labels more than customer service.

The Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Barley), as listed in Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, is processed to the degree that the offending gluten is removed, thus safe for people with Celiac to consume.

Lipton Onion Soup Mix is considered gluten free, and subject to Unilever's excellent labeling policy, they list the source.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

I agree that the label should be trusted over customer service. I am very thankful for companies that do list barley when it is used. I personally wouldn't use the product with that as an ingredient. While I know the gluten is considered to be 'processed out' I prefer not to take the risk. For those less sensitive or with milder reactions it might be worth it but not for me.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

I was just reading about gluten from barley recently. The tests for it are not as good as the tests to detect wheat gluten. Different tests tend to greatly underestimate or overestimate the amounts.

The following advice was for companies who are looking to call their foods gluten-free
( http://glutenfreewor...ten-free-foods/ )

"Thomas Grace, CEO of Bia Diagnostics, a food testing facility in Burlington, Vermont, says the following concerning the use of barley malt and barley malt extract in gluten-free foods:

In my opinion until there is a reliable method that can detect all hydrolyzed hordeins (the harmful protein in barley) in these malts and extracts and correlate them with minimal reactive thresholds, manufacturers might want to stay away from barley malt and barley malt extract in gluten free labeled products. We might find that some barley malts and barley malt extracts are fine for persons with celiac disease, but until we know that for sure and have a reliable method for verification one should proceed on the side of caution.

Things like this, combined with my own high sensitivity to gluten, have made me avoid barley derivatives, period, no matter what claims are made about how much gluten remains, or doesn't.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

It only took one incident with barley that we didn't know about in a product to find that it gives my daughter the same reaction as wheat, so we avoid it.

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

The worst to get information from is Kroger. I was trying to check on some of their store-brand products. It took me a full week of calling every day to speak to a dietician, and no one else was allowed to give out that information. It seems they anly have one dietician for all Kroger stores nationally.

In case you are wondering, Krogeer brand Carbmaster yogert is gluten free.

bakermom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Unilever is the company I called a few weeks ago when I noticed that their Lipton onion soup mix listed barley as an ingredient for the first time. I asked the customer service person why they would add barley to something that was gluten-free, and of course she didn't know. I asked her to have someone call me who did understand the decision-making process, and she told me they were too busy to answer my question. I kept going, and finally she said she'd put in the request. I got a call from a representative who left a message on my machine. The upshot of it is that Unilever isn't really required to report the barley, because it's such a miniscule amount, but they're doing it because they're such good citizens.

After reading some of what all of you have posted, I'm getting fed up with Unilever myself!

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

The upshot of it is that Unilever isn't really required to report the barley, because it's such a miniscule amount, but they're doing it because they're such good citizens!

So, they voluntarily disclose barley (gluten), even when it is not required by law. What more, exactly, do you want?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

I decided to contact Unilever. Here is what I sent: "I have been diagnosed with celiac disease. I need to avoid products with wheat, barley and rye, including any derivatives of these. I am wondering if your label will identify if any of these ingredients are used in your products. For example, if Barley Malt is used, will it be labeled as "barley malt" vs just malt or natural flavoring? I am happy to read your labels to learn which products are safe for me to consume if I know your labels will tell me everything I need to know. Thank you for your response."

I will let you know if/when I get a response.

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,830 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, you gotta work with the companies who work well with the community.

Bottom line is you have to learn to read labels. Trust the companies who will clearly disclose and deal with that.

You are one of many, but not one to demand exclusion. ALWAYS be polite, take an opportunity to kindly educate and pave a soft path for those who will come behind you.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:39 AM

I decided to contact Unilever. Here is what I sent: "I have been diagnosed with celiac disease. I need to avoid products with wheat, barley and rye, including any derivatives of these. I am wondering if your label will identify if any of these ingredients are used in your products. For example, if Barley Malt is used, will it be labeled as "barley malt" vs just malt or natural flavoring? I am happy to read your labels to learn which products are safe for me to consume if I know your labels will tell me everything I need to know. Thank you for your response."

Great email--all I ask of a company is that they clearly disclose any gluten on the label so I can make a decision as to whether I want to consume it or not.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Here is the response I got:

Thank you for writing us regarding Unilever .

Common ingredients that may contain gluten are rye, wheat, oats and barley, and noodles and pasta prepared with any of the previously mentioned grains. HVP, TVP, flavorings, are likely to contribute gluten as well, however, if they contain any gluten, the source would always be listed in the ingredient statements.

Since product formulations change from time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. Ingredients allergens as defined by FDA: peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy, as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten are always listed on the label.

Therefore, WE SUGGEST READING ALL INGREDIENT LABELS CAREFULLY.

We hope this information is helpful!

Sincerely,

Your friends at Unilever

Sounds like they will label items if they come from wheat, rye, barley and oats. I wish they were a little more warm and fuzzy... :unsure:

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Here is the response I got:

Thank you for writing us regarding Unilever .

Common ingredients that may contain gluten are rye, wheat, oats and barley, and noodles and pasta prepared with any of the previously mentioned grains. HVP, TVP, flavorings, are likely to contribute gluten as well, however, if they contain any gluten, the source would always be listed in the ingredient statements.

Since product formulations change from time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. Ingredients allergens as defined by FDA: peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy, as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten are always listed on the label.

Therefore, WE SUGGEST READING ALL INGREDIENT LABELS CAREFULLY.

We hope this information is helpful!

Sincerely,

Your friends at Unilever

Sounds like they will label items if they come from wheat, rye, barley and oats. I wish they were a little more warm and fuzzy... :unsure:

It's a good answer--and also a legal one. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

It's a good answer--and also a legal one. :)

I agree...it just sounds "cold" to me... :blink: I like warm & fuzzy.. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: