8 replies to this topic

#1 Tutahl75

Tutahl75

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

Did anyone else experience hair loss / scalp problems as a result of Celiac Disease? It's not falling out so much anymore but it's not really growing in leaps in bounds either. I've been on the recovery trail for just over six months now and I'm still experiencing dry scalp and limp hair.

Just wondering if anyone has any treatment ideas / supplements that helped or if anyone lost hair and had it come back? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:52 AM

Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid disease can be associated with Celiac and a symptom of that can be hair loss.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:05 AM

I did have hair loss in the begining when I was really sick. My Dr said it was due to lack of protein and the fact that I was losing so much weight. I dont see the hair coming out as much any more ...gluten-free since Feb04 ..... but its also not growing back <_< Thankfully I had thick hair to start with.

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

I have both hair loss and scalp problems. The hair loss I know is at least partially attributed to my hypothyroidism, but I am also sure it is from vitamin deficiencies also. I have found that the shorter I keep my hair, the less hair that falls out.

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 aaascr

aaascr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:20 AM

My doctor recommended taking biotin (along with patience) to help hair growth. Fyi: an average adult can lose 60-70 hair strands a day as a part of natural shedding.
Also for scalp issues, check your shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair products (sprays, gels) for wheat proteins.
Once I eliminated those products I noticed a big difference on my scalp - no longer as itchy and flaky.
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#6 whimsygirl

whimsygirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:51 AM

I've not been diagnosed yet but have all the symptoms of celiac disease and just to let you know I had the same thing. It was worse when I couldn't figure out what was making me feel sooo sick and I was still eating a lot of gluten. But now that I'm limiting it I haven't been losing as much hair.

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:00 AM

I use all Pantene hair products which I know is gluten-free. I still have the hair and scalp problems though.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#8 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hello;
A big cause of hair loss is a lack of vitamin B 12! This is also common amoung Celiacs. My youngest daughter was loosing a great deal of hair until she started taking B 12 shots. Her hair has grown back nicely. My levels aren't quite so low, although I'm on a pill supplement. I had some hair loss, but it didn't come out by the handful like my daughter's did.
Have you doctor check your B 12 level, it's a simple blood test. :)

#9 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:43 AM

About 2-3 months before my diagnosis I was losing more hair than normal. I think hair loss in celiacs is a result of vitamin/mineral malabsorption due to villi damage in the small intestine.
Once I started the diet it stopped.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: