This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Loss

Tutahl75

Tutahl75 Apprentice

Did anyone else experience hair loss / scalp problems as a result of Celiac Disease? It's not falling out so much anymore but it's not really growing in leaps in bounds either. I've been on the recovery trail for just over six months now and I'm still experiencing dry scalp and limp hair.

Just wondering if anyone has any treatment ideas / supplements that helped or if anyone lost hair and had it come back? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid disease can be associated with Celiac and a symptom of that can be hair loss.

llj012564 Newbie

I did have hair loss in the begining when I was really sick. My Dr said it was due to lack of protein and the fact that I was losing so much weight. I dont see the hair coming out as much any more ...gluten-free since Feb04 ..... but its also not growing back <_< Thankfully I had thick hair to start with.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I have both hair loss and scalp problems. The hair loss I know is at least partially attributed to my hypothyroidism, but I am also sure it is from vitamin deficiencies also. I have found that the shorter I keep my hair, the less hair that falls out.

Karen

aaascr Apprentice

My doctor recommended taking biotin (along with patience) to help hair growth. Fyi: an average adult can lose 60-70 hair strands a day as a part of natural shedding.

Also for scalp issues, check your shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair products (sprays, gels) for wheat proteins.

Once I eliminated those products I noticed a big difference on my scalp - no longer as itchy and flaky.

whimsygirl Newbie

I've not been diagnosed yet but have all the symptoms of celiac disease and just to let you know I had the same thing. It was worse when I couldn't figure out what was making me feel sooo sick and I was still eating a lot of gluten. But now that I'm limiting it I haven't been losing as much hair.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I use all Pantene hair products which I know is gluten-free. I still have the hair and scalp problems though.....

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Hello;

A big cause of hair loss is a lack of vitamin B 12! This is also common amoung Celiacs. My youngest daughter was loosing a great deal of hair until she started taking B 12 shots. Her hair has grown back nicely. My levels aren't quite so low, although I'm on a pill supplement. I had some hair loss, but it didn't come out by the handful like my daughter's did.

Have you doctor check your B 12 level, it's a simple blood test. :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

About 2-3 months before my diagnosis I was losing more hair than normal. I think hair loss in celiacs is a result of vitamin/mineral malabsorption due to villi damage in the small intestine.

Once I started the diet it stopped.

Archived