This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Women's Problems

Kathy B

Kathy B Newbie

Hi Everyone

I have been reading your messages with great interest and have learnt no end of useful informtion.

I do not have a diagnosis, but suspect I am gluten intolerance and have been on a gluten free diet for nearly a year now. I suffered from IBS for as long as I can remember and would frequently get aneamic, although by doctor always put this down to my heavy periods. My doctor did a test for celiac disease and it came back negative but by then I was gluten free. My sister has also been gluten free and has rid herself of migraines and spots as well as stomach problems. I believe, from what I have read, that my Dad was a celiac and my Mum was possibly gluten intolerant, though both were undiagnosed.

A few months ago I had some really heavy episodes of bleeding, however this has stopped and my periods have been very light the last few months. I cannot find anything on the internet about the effect of gluten on the menstral cycle other than it can effect fertility. This has not been a problem for me as I had no problem conceiving my two sons.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had problems with periods which have improved on a gluten-free diet.

Incidentally I also suffered terribly in the past from restless legs, which I still occasionally get but cannot pin it down to having had gluten in particular. My iron levels are now back to normal so it could be something else.

Many thanks

Kathy B

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ann1231 Enthusiast

Hi Kathy,

Yes, count me in with horrible periods! If I am not completely gluten-free, they are so bad I can't leave the house! The dr. had been talking about doing a D&C to see if that helped. Once I went gluten free though, they are not bad at all. It's been amazing what a difference diet can make! I also suffer from anemia a great deal, even with gluten free but especially beforehand. It did affect my fertility. For six years, before gluten-free, I couldn't conceive, then I started a low carb diet, which unbeknownst to me, was the reason I felt so much better (no gluten!) I got pregnant no problem then.

Hope this helps, or at least lets you know you're not alone!!

Ann

cmom Contributor

My periods were very erratic, sometimes skipping as much as 3 months. When I did have them, they were accompanied by severe cramps. After going completely gluten-free, my periods are very regular and the cramps are not nearly as severe. :rolleyes:

Calicoe Rookie

Yes, count me in. Terrible, painful cramps, long periods for a full seven days or more, heavy clotting, shrill, debilitating migraines that lasted 2-5 days or longer as they subsided, brain fog and clumsiness, word jumbling, shakiness - a total wreck. In fact, I first cut out gluten in response to my terrible periods, and then learned from there.

I confirmed this after going gluten free last month, my most recent period came on with no symptoms, was very light and stress free the first 2-3 days, and then I accidentally consumed gluten through a Black Bean Paste product, and my heavy, prolonged period came right back!

Archived