76 replies to this topic

#1 Del

Del

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

Seems like us "older" folks have longer healing periods and other problems....would be helpful if we could compare notes.
I'm 62 and have been gluten free for almost eleven months....some days it seems like "Hey this is working"....other days it's "Oh Lord, it this ever going to work"!!!

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

I will be 55 tomorrow, so not quite 'old enough'. But there are a few people over 60 here. I am sure they'll reply soon, but it being a Sunday, the board is predictably slow today.

Mind you, I don't know if I will ever be well. I didn't figure out I have celiac disease until I was 52, and I believe I have permanent damage, as well as having developed other problems as a result of being undiagnosed for so long.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi....thanks for the reply!!
First of all I'm praying for Zoey!
Second of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :rolleyes: As of tomorrow you will be an official senior citizen!!! (Aren't you glad I told you that! LOL)
I'm like you I don't think I'll EVER fully heal!!!
Del

Del

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

Seems like us "older" folks have longer healing periods and other problems....would be helpful if we could compare notes.
I'm 62 and have been gluten free for almost eleven months....some days it seems like "Hey this is working"....other days it's "Oh Lord, it this ever going to work"!!!

Hi Del,
I'm 'Over the Hill' (60 last march), I was diagnosed when I was 57, I didn't know what was happening to me.
I thought I was dying, I lost 56 pounds in 3 Months (I was convinced I had cancer)
I was doing fine baking my own gluten-free bread and Cakes, put back on the lost weight + some and last week I had a
follow-up OGD + Colonoscopy, where they found a large polyp in my Colon, I was keep in hospital while they sent
it for biopsy, Thank God it was Benign and I was allowed home, It just goes to prove
how important it is to have a follow-up scope 2 - 3 yrs after diagnosis.
Anyway since the follow-up scope my bowels have become loose again, but that is starting to wane.
Maybe something to do with the invasive nature of the procedure ??
You can find a lot of information about me from my Web Space
(unfortunately I can't link you from here, it's against board rules) but you can gain access via my profile.
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 SchnauzerMom

SchnauzerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

I will be 54 in July. I'm self diagnosed. I've been on and off the gluten free diet. But I have finally come to terms with it. I feel a whole lot better on it, not 100 percent but better. It just takes time, I believe.
Diagnosed celiac disease July 5, 2007
Starting over on the gluten free diet

#6 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi David...
Thanks for the prompt reply!!! Best of luck to you!
I visited your profile and have added your web site to my favorites so I can go look thru it!!!! Thanks Again!!
Del

Del

#7 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hi....
I think you're right.....it just takes time.....but sometimes I do wonder HOW MUCH TIME!!!!! Guess time will tell!! LOL
Thanks for your reply!
Del

Del

#8 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Was diagnosed at 54 and will be 2 years totally gluten free June . There are so many chances for cross contamination and other things that affect us that I'm not sure if I heal slower or its some new problem. Took them 6 months and 3 hospital stays and like Dave I lost more than 50 lbs. during that time. Just wish I had not put back 65 after I went gluten-free. Still get some bloating and some DH and cramps
but its always by accidental glutening.
The more I eliminate foods the places where I can be contaminated the better I feel and faster it heals.
good luck
ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

I am 58, going on 59 in August. I was first dxd when I was 4 months old after pneumonia and "failure to thrive." Only recently I found out what that meant, failure to grow due to celiac/sprue by being introduced to gluten. I was reintroduced to grains at age 4 and suffered with delicate health ever since.

Gradually as a young adult I figured out I was "allergic" to wheat, rye and oats. Only learned about barley 12 years ago when I finally figured out I might have celiac.

I didn't know then what I know now however and wasn't avoiding trace glutens. Wasn't even aware they were there. I did avoid Vitamin E and obvious gluten but all that trace stuff was still getting me. I learned to use herbs to cope with weak kidneys and liver and also improve my skin and mental clarity. However it was always a struggle. I was always coming down with some cold. flu or worse though I usually avoided bacterial infections and parasites my compatriots got. I figured out many of the things I was sensitive to and avoided them. It all really helped though I still battled candida overgrowth as I still do.

Slowly getting rid of my silver amalgams did really help. It gave me a lot more mental clarity. I found I had actually learned Spanish for instance years earlier and had retained it! Plus I found instead of being all thumbs I have a lot of mechanical dexterity and ingenuity.

However overall I was still just treading water. Due to diet and exercise (when I could manage it) and herbs my health was at a low C grade level. I made use of when I felt good and learned to be patient with myself the rest of the time.

Then 3 years ago I found out I needed to have more absorpable B vitamins since despite taking the regular ones I was still low on B-1 which is needed for basic carb and protein absorption. Since then my health sky rocketed. No longer palpitating heart at night or upon easy exertion! Overall no longer burning feet and calves at night. Much less confusion, anxiety and depression. No more colds or anything!

However my joints still hurt and I kept getting the headaches and still had some anxiety. So I was overjoyed to learn just by avoiding all these trace glutens I could get rid of these extra things--and did! However it also made me much more reactive to trace glutens and I ended up getting sick--from a bacterial infection! I had to take 2 courses of antibiotics to get rid of it once I figured out finally what was going on.

Of course the candida came back in force and I have been having to deal with that.
However I am finally getting better from that by taking extra anti candida herbs and avoiding all sugars etc.

I am convinced everyone with celiac should be taking marshmallow root to soothe and heal the lining of their intestines to help speed up healing. This I think is especially true when you have had celiac all your life as I have. I also take fibronylitic enzymes to get rid of the scar tissue or at least keep it down, such as bromelain/papain and either nattokinase, serrapeptidase, or serrapeptase on an empty stomach at night and early first thing in the morning at least an hour before eating.

The herbs I have used since my twenties that cured my kidneys and kept my liver functioning still help me when I get CC'd I have found. The liver and intestinal cleansers dandelion and yellow dock or Oregon grape root are trusted allies that I think others with long term celiac could also find of use. Don't take while you have D however! Cleavers is a lymphatic cleanser--also of great help against inflammation and best taken with either dandelion or milk thistle to ease the passage out of toxicity that your body releases from the cleavers.

If you get D frequently slippery elm is of help to soothe the intestines plus blackberry root, leaves and bark will help cure the D. Peppermint and chamomile will help soothe nervous indigestion. Peppermint oil capsules can also be of great benefit in this regard.

Also taking saunas helps get rid of toxicity and inflammation, as does exercise---of which there is no substitute when of course you are well enough to engage in it. Even a gentle walk is better than nothing and yoga has often saved me from all kinds of body aches.

I recently found that by taking the fibronylitic enzymes along with pro biotics in a higher dose (and as soon as possible when I realize I have been or even just might have been CC'd) I have been able to avert most of the side effects of CC.

So, here I am 58 going on 59--but I now feel I have a new lease on life with a greater handle on what is going on. I look young for my age and have a flexible body--which is common for people with celiac. I don't buy this business of never getting better. Its not true for me and I think with application using herbs and enzymes and pro-biotics along with diet it wouldn't be true for many others.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#10 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hi Ken.....
Thanks for the reply! I've heard of others just plain slow to heal....I remember reading a post from one lady on there that she didn't feel safe leaving the house for 18 months!!! I'm soooo much better than before gluten-free but it sure can be a roller-coaster!!!
Good luck!!
Del

Del

#11 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Bea.....
Thank you very much for such an informative reply!!!! (I've made notes as I read!!!)
Your childhood, and beyond, sounds a lot like mine.....always sick and rundown with something or other!!!! Let's hope NEVER healing is NOT an option!!!!
Thanks again!!!
Del

Del

#12 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

I was quite the opposite and still am. Guess I'm kind of evangelical about having celiac. Should have a button to wear celiac and proud. <G> Since I work with a lot of chefs and lecture at the culinary school here i've taken on trying to educate Hawaii about it. It can only go uphill since there were so few of us here as residents but the hotel chefs are learning and tell me as much as 20% of their guests at any given time have celiac or another serious food allergy. Have got one hotel restaurant to change the menu and add gluten-free and lactose free meals and items marked and isolated on their buffet line.
I still like to go out for dinner but want to go to a place I know is safe and the only way it will happen is if I can make it so.
Dont know where i'm going with this, have been up for 14 hours after our son called to announce grandson #5
take care

Hi Ken.....
Thanks for the reply! I've heard of others just plain slow to heal....I remember reading a post from one lady on there that she didn't feel safe leaving the house for 18 months!!! I'm soooo much better than before gluten-free but it sure can be a roller-coaster!!!
Good luck!!
Del

Japanese proverb

#13 Del

Del

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hi Ken....
Congrats on the new grandson!!!!
And congrats on being an evengelist for Celiac Disease!!!! I owe you a hug, as do lots of us on here!
You did cause me to take a double take when you mention buffets that have things specifically marked....I can't imagine eating in a buffet!!! And I live in Las Vegas, where buffets are everywhere!
Keep up the good work!!!
Del

Del

#14 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

HI
I'm 65 and dx'd 3 years ago in June.
Many other food intolerances and other issues.
Lost 60 #'s over these past years. It seemed no matter what I did I couldn't loss weight before this.
I'm gluten-free, sf, cf, df, tapiaco and peanut free now.
The fibro symptoms are better off Hight oxalates and nightshade foods.
I agree that those of us who were not dx'd earlier, have the leaky guts and take ALOT LONGER TO HEAL.

Judy In Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#15 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

Some of us call Vegas East Hawaii since its the place of choice for most Hawaiians to get away too.
We were married at the Sands 32 years ago. We have a chefs meeting each month at a different location.
One of the web designers here is also celiac so I invited him so that the 50 chefs could see how we went through a buffet line and hear the questions we asked. It was very interesting for them and for us since the two of us focus on different areas. I still cant digest the amount of greens I used to eat. He's been celiac almost 20 years and could pile on the salads and have a burger. Even though he was the first in line he asked the chef grilling at this buffet line to re-clean and scrape the grill. I still wont have it since the CC is a big problem for me.
I load up on olives, some cheese and sprouts since there were few other things I could have. In Hawaii most buffet lines are drenched in soy sauce and they always use food service mayo with noddles in most of the salads. Watching other buffet lines with people using utensils from one thing into the next rather that putting one down and picking up the next is a big problem. I've been to some places where they have only buffet. I usually dont eat if I cant order something special off the menu.
At least you have many new restaurants and well know chefs with operations in LV now. I would bet that most of them and the "gourmet" rooms in the hotels would prepare gluten-free meals with advance notice.

Take care

Hi Ken....
Congrats on the new grandson!!!!
And congrats on being an evengelist for Celiac Disease!!!! I owe you a hug, as do lots of us on here!
You did cause me to take a double take when you mention buffets that have things specifically marked....I can't imagine eating in a buffet!!! And I live in Las Vegas, where buffets are everywhere!
Keep up the good work!!!
Del

Japanese proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: