19 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

What about other organs in the case of death?

Does anybody know?

I'm an organ donor, it's on my license. as far as I know, all the major organs that can BE donated don't really have anything to do with the immune system, unless they wanted to donate my lymph nodes or marrow or intestines post-mortem or something..... I can't picture that. I would imagine aheart or lung would be fine. Who can we ask about this, though?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

I took the "donor" classification off my license AD (after diagnosis). I feel really bad about it too. But it looks like I might have another autoimmune now too. Still...

Maybe this is a question for the celiac association or it might be worth an email to Dr. Green or another expert.

#18 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

I took the "donor" classification off my license AD (after diagnosis). I feel really bad about it too. But it looks like I might have another autoimmune now too. Still...

Maybe this is a question for the celiac association or it might be worth an email to Dr. Green or another expert.

Good call.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#19 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

I wrote the celiac sprue assn about it yesterday. Maybe we will get an answer.

#20 fishe23a

fishe23a

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

I am aware that this is an old thread, but it scared me into thinking I couldn't be a bone marrow donor! So I updated my health information with the official National Marrow Donor Program in the US stating that I had been diagnosed with celiac disease via antibody testing and small intestine biopsy and that I assumed that made me inelegible. This is a direct copy-paste of the answer that I received, with my name removed:

Dear --------,

Thank you for informing us about the changes to your health. At this time, based on your medical condition and the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP) medical guidelines, your medical condition is acceptable and you are still able to remain on the Be The Match®Registry. If you are ever contacted as a potential match for a patient, we will reevaluate your medical status to donate marrow (no PBSC donation).

We are grateful for your generous commitment to patients in need and hope that you will stay engaged with us in a number of ways:

• Keep us updated so that we can find you quickly if you are a potential match. You can change your information through theUpdate Your Information form on the NMDP web site www.bethematch.org or call us at 1 (800) 627-7692, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (CST).
  • Contribute financially to help a patient. Your generous tax-deductible contribution to Be The Match FoundationSM will help add more members to the registry, and we depend on your generosity giving more patients hope for a cure.
  • Discuss becoming a member on the registry with friends, family, coworkers and people in your community. They can join online at www.bethematch.org/join

We look forward to your continued support and participation as we work together to save lives.

Sincerely,
Denise Krueger
Lead, Public Response, Member Services
3001 Broadway Street N. E. Suite 100, Minneapolis, MN 55413-1753
Phone: (612) 884-8734 Toll Free: (800) 627-7692 Ext 8434 Fax: (612) 362-3442

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: