This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Most Common Additives In Restaurants

huevo-no-bueno

huevo-no-bueno Apprentice

I've been reacting to restaurant food lately, even though I explain issues concerning cross-contamination. For a while I thought perhaps I had developed an allergy to chicken, but when I fix chicken at home, I don't get the reaction.

I'm starting to think that some restaurants use a supplier that puts something in the food that gives me an immediate headache and hives, and that some restaurants around here use a different supplier. There are certain restaurants that even with all precautions, I will get sick, and it seems more like an allergic reaction than a gluten reaction. By now I can tell the difference.

So, does anybody know what that could be?

It is probably some type of preservative, but I don't know it by name, so I never know what I'm getting into when I eat out, other than which restaurants I shouldn't go back to. I reacted at one place, and they acted like I was stupid when I asked them, "are you sure you cleaned the grill off?"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Could it be monosodium glutamate? The symptoms you describe fit msg I think. Especially the headache.

kenlove Rising Star

Besides the MSG Ursa mentioned, restaurants will use flour in butter sometimes. Also if your at a breakfast buffet never get scrambled eggs since they sometimes thicken those too. Then I guess by your name you dont eat eggs anyway.

It could also be the CC from the pan or grill. Same tongs used for your chicken that are used for one basted in soy sauce.

Sometimes its a matter of being forceful and explaining to the waitress that if its cook wrong or CC'd that you'll keel over on the floor.

I find most food service salad dressings dangerous as well and just use fresh lemon/lime or oil and vinegar.

good luck!

Ken

I've been reacting to restaurant food lately, even though I explain issues concerning cross-contamination. For a while I thought perhaps I had developed an allergy to chicken, but when I fix chicken at home, I don't get the reaction.

I'm starting to think that some restaurants use a supplier that puts something in the food that gives me an immediate headache and hives, and that some restaurants around here use a different supplier. There are certain restaurants that even with all precautions, I will get sick, and it seems more like an allergic reaction than a gluten reaction. By now I can tell the difference.

So, does anybody know what that could be?

It is probably some type of preservative, but I don't know it by name, so I never know what I'm getting into when I eat out, other than which restaurants I shouldn't go back to. I reacted at one place, and they acted like I was stupid when I asked them, "are you sure you cleaned the grill off?"

Ursa Major Collaborator
Besides the MSG Ursa mentioned, restaurants will use flour in butter sometimes.

Flour in butter? What a crazy thing to do, I'd never have guessed at that one. But that reminds me that I found out the hard way that some restaurants use flour in mashed potatoes!

kenlove Rising Star

Right, thats another one! Some restaurants use instant potatoes too. We get what we pay for. I would much rather eat at home for a month and save enough to splurge on a real gourmet dinner. Than again, I'm spoiled by working with chefs all the time.

Ken

Flour in butter? What a crazy thing to do, I'd never have guessed at that one. But that reminds me that I found out the hard way that some restaurants use flour in mashed potatoes!

Wow. Flour in butter and in potatoes? I don't understand. Butter and potatoes don't need any help!

I've narrowed this restaurant reaction problem down to the chicken: it is either something that is injected into the chicken, coated on the chicken, or stuck to the grill. I've come to the conclusion that certain restaurants will just be rude and lose customers by not dealing properly with cross-contamination. I'm still curious if there is some sort of weird thing in the chicken that is in there from the supplier.

kenlove Rising Star

COuld just be something they baste on the chicken that has soy sauce in it. Might be good to ask the chef or manager to help track it down

if you want to eat there again. We also seem to have to be detectives if we want to eat someplace.

good luck

Wow. Flour in butter and in potatoes? I don't understand. Butter and potatoes don't need any help!

I've narrowed this restaurant reaction problem down to the chicken: it is either something that is injected into the chicken, coated on the chicken, or stuck to the grill. I've come to the conclusion that certain restaurants will just be rude and lose customers by not dealing properly with cross-contamination. I'm still curious if there is some sort of weird thing in the chicken that is in there from the supplier.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MariaS Rookie

I stopped eating chicken a few months ago because of the new preservative mainly (carrageenan)...

Open Original Shared Link

How Carrageenan is made:

"The seaweed is washed to remove sand, salts and other foreign matter. It is then heated with water containing an alkali, such as sodium hydroxide, for several hours, with the time depending on the seaweeds being extracted and determined by prior small-scale trials, or experience. Alkali is used because it causes a chemical change that leads to increased gel strength in the final product. In chemical terms, it removes some of the sulphate groups from the molecules and increases the formation of 3,6-AG: the more of the latter, the better the gel strength. The seaweed that does not dissolve is removed by centrifugation or a coarse filtration, or a combination. The solution is then filtered again, in a pressure filter using a filter aid that helps to prevent the filter cloth becoming blocked by fine, gelatinous particles. At this stage, the solution contains 1-2 percent carrageenan and this is usually concentrated to 2-3 percent by vacuum distillation and ultrafiltration."

How Carrageenan solution is Put into Poultry:

"There is a growing consumer demand for pre-cooked poultry products such as chicken and turkey pieces. Poultry processors were concerned about the loss of water during cooking (this lowered their yield per unit weight of product) and the loss in texture and eating quality that resulted. By injecting a brine containing salt, phosphate and carrageenan into the muscle of the meat, these problems are overcome. As the meat cooks, the carrageenan binds water within the poultry muscle and improves texture and tenderness. The processors are pleased because they now have a higher yield; in fact they find that he can even add some extra water to the poultry and it will be retained. The consumer receives a better product. The carrageenan producer is pleased because about 0.5 percent carrageenan is added, much more than the 0.05-0.1 percent used in dairy products. The future looks bright for this kind of application in meat products."

Actually I have an intolerance to Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Xantham Gum, and HFCS, but have different symptoms than my allergic reactions. I can't eat anything with any of the preservatives mentioned in it. :(

babysteps Contributor

Also flour sometimes in polenta :( also no help needed!

food service chicken (as in, from Sysco) is often pre-marinated, and that marinade is usually *not* gluten free. Also it very well may have MSG in it, or the restaurant could be using seasoning with MSG.

One post said, I think it was at TGIFridays, the grilled chicken was pre-marinated, but the chicken for the fried breast of chicken was not pre-marinated, and was breaded at the restaurant -- so a gluten-free grilled chicken breast could be created but only with the usually-for-fried chicken, before it got breaded...

It could also be the grill, try asking for pan-sauteed chicken in a clean pan, or have them put foil on the grill.

You could try calling or talking to the manager, explaining you & your family would like to continue eating there but if you keep getting sick you will stop eating there and might just tell your friends about your experience.

Good luck!

HAK1031 Enthusiast

My brother (also celiac) has a chicken intolerance. It could simply be that.

I'm not going back to that restaurant because they were rude....I think it was cross-contamination, or msg, not the chicken itself. All this sleuthing gets exhausting.

Archived