3 replies to this topic

#1 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

In a couple of other threads, Rachel--24 has mentioned that a product called Peptizyde has helped her a lot. She specifically mentioned one ingredient called DPPIV.

I have a bottle of GlutenEase, which I take as needed. I believe it does make me feel better if cc has been an issue, or even if something is bothering me but I don't know what.

Here are the ingredients per 1 capsule serving:

DPP-IV: 95,000 HUT
Amylase: 15,000 DU
Glucoamylase: 15 AGU

Other Ingredients: 100% Vegetarian Capsule (cellulose, water)
Contains NO dairy, preservatives, salt, sucrose, soy, wheat, yeast, corn, nuts, gluten, artificial colors or flavors.

Sorry - I have no idea what those abbreviations mean.

So I guess my question is, is GlutenEase a similar product to Peptizyde? If so, why does it get bad-mouthed?

Rachel--24, I really would appreciate your input on this one. You have become (unfortunately out of necessity) so knowledgeable on this stuff!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

If you have Celiac Disease it would probably be better for you to stick with the GlutenEase.

Here is some info. about the various enzymes out there...

GlutenEase (Enzymedica) - very effective product targeting both protein and carbohydrate portions of gluten and casein. Effective enough to replace Gluten-free Casein-free diet for many people. Not intended for celiacs to leave gluten-free diet, but acts as 'safety net' for accidental exposures. Lessens symptoms for many with celiac. Does not cause adverse reactions some other gluten-targeting enzyme products do in celiac.

Peptizyde (Houston Nutraceuticals) - found to be effective enough for replacing Gluten-free Casein-free diet for many people. Not advised for celiacs even as 'safety net' because some celiacs report worsening of symptoms with accidental exposure.

AFP Peptizyde (Houston Nutraceuticals) – like Peptizyde but does not contain any fruit-derived enzymes (if you have phenol or salicylate sensitivies).

Peptidase Complete (Kirkman Labs) - like Peptizyde with bromelain. Has not performed as well to replace a Gluten-free Casein-free diet, but handles trace amounts acceptably.

Glutenzyme (Biocare) - sold in the UK, no other information

If you are wanting to stay on a casein-free, gluten-free diet (soy- fre, corn-free) and supplement with enzymes for trace amounts, contamination, or small infractions, the following products are designed for this:

Digest Gold (Enzymedica) - broad-spectrum with DPP IV

GlutenEase (Enzymedica) - for casein, gluten breakdown, both proteins and carb parts; newest and most robust gluten-casein targeting product

Lacto (Enzymedica) - low protease broad-spectrum product with enzymes for casein, gluten proteins, carbs, and fats. Very good starter enzyme product.

Peptizyde (Houston Nutraceuticals, both original and AFP) - for casein, gluten proteins only (not the carbohydrate part or broad-spectrum) - like Peptidase Complete. Peptizyde has no bromelain, just papain. AFP Peptizyde has neither bromelain or papain.

EnZym-Complete/DPP-IV (Kirkman Lab) - warning: lots of fruit-derived enzymes

EnZym-Complete II Isogest Formula (Kirkman Lab) - has a bit more carb-digesting enzyme

Maximum Complete (Kirkman Lab) - similar to EnZyme-Completes with Isogest, but not fruit-derived enzymes

Peptidase Complete (Kirkman Lab) - like Peptizyde with more bromelain instead of papain.

DPP-IV Forte (Kirkman Lab) - one of the casein, gluten proteases. Does not have needed companion proteases. Maybe helpful added into to a broad-spectrum product.

Serenaid (Klaire Labs) - has not performed great for casein, gluten, but is a protease product.
Vital-zymes Complete (Klaire Labs, not the Vital-zym Forte) - good broad-spectrum with added casein, gluten enzymes.

Digest Right (Learner's Edge) - moderate broad-spectrum with added casein, gluten enzymes.
A DPP IV Biocore blend may be included in certain products

GlutenZyme is made by Biocare with reports of it being successful with gluten and casein, but it isn't known at this date if it contains DPP IV

I believe Peptizyde is best for those who are not Celiac and are not wanting to remain on the diet. I take the "AFP" version because I dont tolerate phenols/salicylates very well and I like that Houston Nutraceuticals takes that into consideration when formulating the enzymes. I wasnt able to tolerate ANY enzyme in the past....AFP Peptizyde and No-Fenol (also by Houston Nutraceuticals) are ther first ones I've done well with.

The only studies have been on autistic children but the results have been very positive.

As of this writing Peptizyde has only been tested in Autistics but given that the severity of this condition is largely determined by the intake of offending allergenic foods the results speak for themselves.

Over 1500 families have tried Peptizyde on their own children and nearly all have reported better focus, awareness, socialization and learning and the absence of any regressive allergic symptoms associated with forbidden foods.

Follow up studies conducted by the Enzymes and Autism Board have confirmed these findings with 92% of participants reporting significant improvements in allergic symptoms like anxiety, sleep, aggression, short term memory, problem solving, pain and headaches after 6 months and no regression in symptoms.

For this reason the manufacturers claim Peptizyde can produce as good or even better results as a Gluten and Casein free diet and that, they believe, can be extended to other food allergies

I think the main difference between GlutenEase and Peptizyde is that Peptizyde does not contain any additional enzymes for breaking down carbohydrates, fats, etc. It *only* includes the enzymes which break down proteins. This works out well for me because if it included additional enzymes I would probably have problems with it.

The enzymes in Peptizyde™ work only on food proteins, not carbohydrates, fats, or other compounds, and do not interfere with medications or other supplements (unless they are also proteins, which is extremely unlikely). Peptizyde may be used in combination with other enzyme products.

Peptizyde™ is different from other enzyme products in that it contains only those enzymes needed for protein hydrolysis. No other enzymes have been added. This allows parents to customize enzyme supplementation to the specific needs of their child. Another advantage to this approach is that less potential exists for intolerance reactions due to additional and perhaps unnecessary enzyme proteins.

Also, by using only three enzyme blends in Peptizyde™, larger amounts of each enzyme can be added per capsule, insuring that more hydrolysis of food protein can take place in the short time that food is in the stomach.

Here is a description of how the enzyme works:

The aminopeptidase enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase IV, or DPP IV, is able to hydrolyze and inactivate the exorphin peptide, casomorphin. However, for maximal protein breakdown, it should be combined with other proteases with different and less stringent peptide bond specificity.

For this reason, Peptizyde™ also contains papain (from papaya) and another fungal protease with high activity in acid conditions. These enzymes are present in Peptizyde™ in high amounts for the purpose of quickly hydrolyzing proteins while the food is still in the stomach.

The ability of Peptizyde™ enzymes to withstand the low pH of the stomach and remain active under acidic conditions allows hydrolysis of casein and gluten prior to entrance into the small intestine. Casein and gluten, in the presence of pancreatic enzymes in the duodenum, can produce exorphin peptides that may be readily absorbed from the intestine (these peptides are not absorbed from the stomach).

Peptizyde™ supplements the "normal" hydrolysis of casein, gluten, and other food proteins such that the exorphin peptides are not produced because the specific cleavage pattern to produce these peptides is altered.

This link explains why Peptizyde is not a good choice for those with Celiac Disease.

http://www.enzymestu...itionceliac.htm
Rachel

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

So I guess my question is, is GlutenEase a similar product to Peptizyde? If so, why does it get bad-mouthed?

I'm not sure why it gets bad mouthed? :unsure:

I'm assuming its because when enzymes are mentioned people make the assumption that the goal is to leave the gluten-free diet....which is not always the case. Enzymes can help with cc and they can aid in the digestion of other foods.

Obviously a person with Celiac should not try to replace the diet with any kind of enzyme. For those of us who are not Celiac the enzymes are providing the body with what it is lacking....this can make a huge difference for those with non-celiac gluten intolerance.

When the DPPIV enzyme is inactivated or blocked we lose the ability to digest gluten and casein. An enzyme high in DPPIV can make up for that.

Since most of my underlying issues are the same ones found in autistic kids I've found that alot of what works for them (as far as treatment goes) has also worked for me. Thats why I was excited about Peptizyde. I got some feedback from one of my Dr.'s who primarily treats kids with autism...she told me that she was getting good results with Peptizyde, Zyme Prime and No Fenol. Zyme Prime didnt work for me (I reacted to it) but the other two I've done really well with. :)
Rachel

#4 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thank you! I knew you would have the answer! :)

I have not been diagnosed as celiac, but I have a blood relative with a confirmed diagnosis, and I do not tolerate gluten well at all. Therefore I probably am and it sounds like I should stick with the GlutenEase.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: