Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Peptizyde Or Glutenease?

4 posts in this topic

In a couple of other threads, Rachel--24 has mentioned that a product called Peptizyde has helped her a lot. She specifically mentioned one ingredient called DPPIV.

I have a bottle of GlutenEase, which I take as needed. I believe it does make me feel better if cc has been an issue, or even if something is bothering me but I don't know what.

Here are the ingredients per 1 capsule serving:

DPP-IV: 95,000 HUT

Amylase: 15,000 DU

Glucoamylase: 15 AGU

Other Ingredients: 100% Vegetarian Capsule (cellulose, water)

Contains NO dairy, preservatives, salt, sucrose, soy, wheat, yeast, corn, nuts, gluten, artificial colors or flavors.

Sorry - I have no idea what those abbreviations mean.

So I guess my question is, is GlutenEase a similar product to Peptizyde? If so, why does it get bad-mouthed?

Rachel--24, I really would appreciate your input on this one. You have become (unfortunately out of necessity) so knowledgeable on this stuff!

Ads by Google:

If you have Celiac Disease it would probably be better for you to stick with the GlutenEase.

Here is some info. about the various enzymes out there...

GlutenEase (Enzymedica) - very effective product targeting both protein and carbohydrate portions of gluten and casein. Effective enough to replace Gluten-free Casein-free diet for many people. Not intended for celiacs to leave gluten-free diet, but acts as 'safety net' for accidental exposures. Lessens symptoms for many with celiac. Does not cause adverse reactions some other gluten-targeting enzyme products do in celiac.

Peptizyde (Houston Nutraceuticals) - found to be effective enough for replacing Gluten-free Casein-free diet for many people. Not advised for celiacs even as 'safety net' because some celiacs report worsening of symptoms with accidental exposure.

AFP Peptizyde (Houston Nutraceuticals)

So I guess my question is, is GlutenEase a similar product to Peptizyde? If so, why does it get bad-mouthed?

I'm not sure why it gets bad mouthed? :unsure:

I'm assuming its because when enzymes are mentioned people make the assumption that the goal is to leave the gluten-free diet....which is not always the case. Enzymes can help with cc and they can aid in the digestion of other foods.

Obviously a person with Celiac should not try to replace the diet with any kind of enzyme. For those of us who are not Celiac the enzymes are providing the body with what it is lacking....this can make a huge difference for those with non-celiac gluten intolerance.

When the DPPIV enzyme is inactivated or blocked we lose the ability to digest gluten and casein. An enzyme high in DPPIV can make up for that.

Since most of my underlying issues are the same ones found in autistic kids I've found that alot of what works for them (as far as treatment goes) has also worked for me. Thats why I was excited about Peptizyde. I got some feedback from one of my Dr.'s who primarily treats kids with autism...she told me that she was getting good results with Peptizyde, Zyme Prime and No Fenol. Zyme Prime didnt work for me (I reacted to it) but the other two I've done really well with. :)

Thank you! I knew you would have the answer! :)

I have not been diagnosed as celiac, but I have a blood relative with a confirmed diagnosis, and I do not tolerate gluten well at all. Therefore I probably am and it sounds like I should stick with the GlutenEase.