14 replies to this topic

#1 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

Okay, I had a horrible D reaction that lasted all day yesterday from the home made pizza I made Monday night. I have pizza every week and normally use a frozen gluten free local brand that never gives me problems. Whole foods pizza crust gives me problems with D. So what I did was took out a piece of paper and put the ingredients to all 3 crusts in seperate columns so I could weed out which ingredients were the same but not in the crust that doesnt give me problems. I narrowed it down to two ingredients: apple cider vinegar and gelatin. I know for sure I am fine with apple cider vinegar but don't know about the unflavored gelatin. Did searches to find out exactly what it was and found out its from boiled animal bones and can act like msg. When I searched our sight I found a few entries most being old but Rachel 24 was in the threads so I hope she will comment. Does anyone else have a problem with gelatin?
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

gelatin is gross. I don't eat it and haven't for years. Not because I am intolerant.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#3 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

Okay, I had a horrible D reaction that lasted all day yesterday from the home made pizza I made Monday night. I have pizza every week and normally use a frozen gluten free local brand that never gives me problems. Whole foods pizza crust gives me problems with D. So what I did was took out a piece of paper and put the ingredients to all 3 crusts in seperate columns so I could weed out which ingredients were the same but not in the crust that doesnt give me problems. I narrowed it down to two ingredients: apple cider vinegar and gelatin. I know for sure I am fine with apple cider vinegar but don't know about the unflavored gelatin. Did searches to find out exactly what it was and found out its from boiled animal bones and can act like msg. When I searched our sight I found a few entries most being old but Rachel 24 was in the threads so I hope she will comment. Does anyone else have a problem with gelatin?

Rachel 24 is still around - she's mainly found in the 'Other intolerances' section in the 'OMG - I may be on to something' thread
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#4 roxie

roxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

I also found out something interesting about gelatin. I was excited to find out that I could eat skittles because they are gluten and dairy free. However, when I called the company, they said that the gelatin in their product is derived from beef. Gross!

#5 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

No offense to anyone, and please do not fling rotten tomatoes at me, but you guys are exhibiting the exact same ignorance about the source of a common food substance as the people that get made fun of for not knowing that flour is made from wheat.

Where did you think gelatin came from?

The answer is you never thought about it, just as others never thought about where bread came from.

Here is the Wikipedia article. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom to see all of the uses and concerns. You no doubt didn't know about those, either! (Neither did I! But I don't remember ever not knowing the source of gelatin. I must have been told that somewhere in early childhood.)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#6 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:50 AM

[quote name='home_based_mom' date='May 31 2008, 07:34 AM' post='433832']
[color="#4B0082"]No offense to anyone, and please do not fling rotten tomatoes at me, but you guys are exhibiting the exact same ignorance about the source of a common food substance as the people that get made fun of for not knowing that flour is made from wheat.

Where did you think gelatin came from?

The answer is you never thought about it, just as others never thought about where bread came from.

I asked my mom and she didn't want me to know. She said I was picky enough as it was! She is a firm believer in the gelatin making your nail stronger etc. I don't eat gelatin anymore since my kids never cared for jello and never used the unflavored stuff (didn't even know where to look for it) until I made the home made pizza crust. I've found some other recipes for crust that don't use the gelatin. I'm not convinced it was the gelatin that made me sick, could be cross contamination but figured it was an ingredient I don't really need. I asked my chefs in both of my restaurants and none of them really knew about gelatin (we don't use it) except one of the older cooks so I don't think the gelatin companies like to promote what it really is anymore.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#7 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:14 AM

just wanted to clarify that my chef's did know it was beef originated because it a no no with a vegan dish but most didnt know how it was extracted etc. Not personally attacking you home based mom but ignorance is a strong word for me ;)
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

No offense to anyone, and please do not fling rotten tomatoes at me, but you guys are exhibiting the exact same ignorance about the source of a common food substance as the people that get made fun of for not knowing that flour is made from wheat.

I'm not sure where anyone was ignorant about the source of gelatin in this thread?? We arent born knowing all of this stuff. We learn it along the way...by asking questions and by sharing info. as we learn it. Isn't that why we're all here afterall?

I dont consider myself to be ignorant because I wasnt aware of the source of gelatin until only a couple years ago. None of us can possibly know *everything* and I'm pretty sure none of my friends have any clue as to where gelatin comes from. Just as the vast majority of the population doesnt know they're consuming MSG when they eat this very common ingredient.

Ksymonds,

Your mom was correct about the source of gelatin. I learned about this awhile back while I was doing some research on MSG.

Heres the details:

The gelatin in Jell-O is what lets you transform it into all sorts of different shapes. What exactly is gelatin? Gelatin is just a processed version of a structural protein called collagen that is found in many animals, including humans. Collagen actually makes up almost a third of all the protein in the human body. It is a big, fibrous molecule that makes skin, bones, and tendons both strong and somewhat elastic. As you get older, your body makes less collagen, and individual collagen fibers become crosslinked with each other. You might experience this as stiff joints (from less flexible tendons) or wrinkles (from loss of skin elasticity).

The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled. During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.­­

This process creates alot of "free" glutamates (MSG)....so those who are sensitive may react to it. It might not be your problem.....it may be some other ingredient but it would be fairly easy to test it.

Alot of people are sensitive to gelatin. Alot of people react to those little gelcaps containing their medications or supplements. I had that problem and for a couple years now I've taken my supplements out of the gelcap. I dont ever swallow the gelcap because it was causing me problems back then.

The Winter 2004 issue of "Living Without" pointed out that someone's reaction to MSG could be linked to the amount consumed. So one meal might not cause a problem but two or three might bring about a reaction. (MSG can also be found in Autolyzed yeast, sodium (or calcium) caseinate, hydrolyzed protein, natural flavors, gelatin,
etc.

There's a LONG list of ingredients which are "hidden" names for MSG in a food product. Some of them *may* contain MSG and some of them *always* contain MSG.

Gelatin always contains MSG.

The MSG-reaction is a reaction to free glutamic acid that occurs in food as a consequence of manufacture. MSG-sensitive people do not react to protein (which contains bound glutamic acid) or any of the minute amounts of free glutamic acid that might be found in unadulterated, unfermented, food.

The process in creating gelatin frees up the bound glutamates...which creates MSG.

Free glutamate and MSG, in particular, have been associated with:

burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest,
numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back,
tingling,
warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms,
facial pressure or tightness,
chest pain,
headache,
nausea,
rapid heartbeat,
bronchospasm (difficulty breathing) in intolerant people with asthma,
drowsiness,
weakness,
intense cravings for the same foods.

While there may be many other causes for any of these symptoms and other physical causes should be ruled out, many carbohydrate addicts experience one or more of these symptoms after consuming foods that contain glutamates.

The more you depend on "prepared foods" in your diet, the more you are at risk for high doses of free glutamate. The more that you prepare your own foods from fresh sources, the more you will be able to reduce your intake of free glutamate.

Rachel

#9 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

just wanted to clarify that my chef's did know it was beef originated because it a no no with a vegan dish but most didnt know how it was extracted etc. Not personally attacking you home based mom but ignorance is a strong word for me ;)

Ignorance just means you don't know something. No one knows everything so we are all ignorant about many things, which means we all have room to learn and grow. :)
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#10 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

I almost bought a bag of "organic" gummy bears made with gelatin today. I didn't, because I don't like where the stuff comes from, but after reading this thread, I'm now really glad I didn't. :lol:

Ignorance just means you don't know something. No one knows everything so we are all ignorant about many things, which means we all have room to learn and grow. :)

The word has a pretty negative connotation though, despite its dictionary definition. Stuff like this can get tricky, however, when communicating through the internet, where nobody can see your facial or body expressions... (Sorry, just my two cents...)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#11 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks Rachel, I was hoping you would respond! I've never been able to handle MSG. I would eat at a chinese restaurant and almost not making it home in time if you catch my drift. I do think now after reading your post that it could be the gelatin after all, didn't know it meant msg just thought it acted like msg but I will test it out to be sure! Thank you for responding!
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#12 dollamasgetceliac?

dollamasgetceliac?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi ;
I was told that I should not buy the "organic" home made Marshmelows because the Gelatin in that product might be derived from Fish. I am allergic to Fish, and it is particularily difficult to cook anything for me since I have many food allergies.

gluten-free/CF 5/8/08
Multiple food Allergies
Chemicle Sensitivity Syndrom
I suposedly have IBS
Psilly page member
Crohns
Celiac (duh)

"My llamas are in me head... "

-Llama`Llady

#13 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:29 AM

Hi ;
I was told that I should not buy the "organic" home made Marshmelows because the Gelatin in that product might be derived from Fish. I am allergic to Fish, and it is particularily difficult to cook anything for me since I have many food allergies.

I did read that gelatin can come from fish as well. I haven't noticed that marshmellows contain gelatin but never thought about it before :P
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#14 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Gelatin is actually very healthy (I'm not talking about Jello). It's a very good source of minerals. When anyone in the house is sick, I take a whole chicken and boil it for hours. Then I make chicken/vegetable soup from the broth. Boiling the bones in this way allows the minerals to be extracted from the bones. This is a food that is then easily absorbed and high in minerals.

When you put the soup in the refrigerator, the gelatin will rise to the top and you can see it.

I also boil ham bones if we have a ham over the holidays. It can also be made from fish, but I have never made fish soup myself.

It seems gross that this is put in candy, but once you know how it's made, it's really not.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#15 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Unfortunately, gelatin has become a very common allergen. I'm not sure if its because its high in glutamate or some other reason...but people have become sensitive to it more than they were in the past.

Since 1993, there have been several reports describing severe allergic reactions to gelatin. The initial report described a 17-year-old girl who experienced anaphylaxis to MMR vaccine. Subsequent reports followed describing anaphylactic reactions to other gelatin-containing vaccines and medications. This is the first case report of an allergic reaction to influenza vaccine due to gelatin allergy. Although, the incidence of anaphylaxis to gelatin is extremely low (about one case per 2 million doses), gelatin is the most common identifiable cause of severe allergic reaction to vaccines.

Dramatic decreases in anaphylactic/allergic reactions to live measles vaccines were observed immediately after each manufacturer marketed gelatin-free or gelatin (hypo-allergic)—containing live measles vaccine, and since the end of 1998 reports on anaphylactic/allergic reactions to live measles vaccine have almost ceased.

I'm not sure why gelatin would be such a common allergen but this makes sense:

Egg album and gelatin (or gelatine, obtained from selected pieces of calf and cattle skins, de-mineralized cattle bones and pork skin) are in several vaccines. Casein (milk protein) is in the triple antigen, i.e. DPT vaccine. As explained above, when injected, proteins are toxic to the body. Hence the immune system "response" - it is stressed by this invasion, which results in sensitisation - it becomes sensitive to these substances, not immune to them.

Is it any wonder, then, that allergies to these substances are now so common (in the case of milk, resulting in the relatively recent emergence of milk alternatives such as soy and rice "milk"s)?

Proteins such as gelatin are put into the vaccines intentionally to help get an immune response.

Personally, I wouldnt necessarily avoid gelatin because of where it comes from (guess I'm not grossed out too easily :P ), however, if its causing reaction...whether its because of a sensitivity to MSG or because the immune system has become sensitized to it...then it should obviously be avoided.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: