29 replies to this topic

#16 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:32 AM

Tinkyada brown rice pasta is the best in my opinion :)

I've tried pasta with corn in it and it wasn't very good <_<
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mwical

mwical

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:50 AM

Thanks, everyone!
Looks like tinkyada is the overall favorite. I bought some Mrs. Leepers Rice Penne pasta at Wild Oats last week. It was OK but had a slightly strong taste. I tried the rice spaghetti too, not sure what brand it was. Wasn't crazy about it. I have some Quinoa spaghetti, but haven't tried it yet. I will try to find some Tinkyada, since most of you think it is the best. So far I agree with Catfish, that none I have tried to date have really been that great. I think I might try to make my own as soon as I find a recipe.
Thanks for your input.
Mark B)

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 08:53 AM

Don't forget that, after a number of months being gluten-free, you may find that you don't mind some of the pastas you don't currently like. Give them a try again after a while if you still can't find one you're satisfied with.

(Besides, pasta sauce over spaghetti squash is good too! ;-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:12 AM

Besides, pasta sauce over spaghetti squash is good too!

YUM!

I agree!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#20 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:18 AM

Don't forget that, after a number of months being gluten-free, you may find that you don't mind some of the pastas you don't currently like. Give them a try again after a while if you still can't find one you're satisfied with.

(Besides, pasta sauce over spaghetti squash is good too! ;-) )

Good point--this applies to all gluten-free food. The gluten-free bagels I didn't like at the start are now my favorite that I eat every morning (made by Sans Gluten).

#21 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:20 AM

I wish Tinkyada would make ravoli, I miss that soooooo much. I actually made ravoli from scratch. I fould a mold at a restaurant supply store. I couldn't get my pasta to roll out in my pasta maker. I have the one that attatches to a kitchen aid. I rolled it by hand so it was too thick. The taste was okay. Since I haven't had ravoli in so long, I thought it was great. I'm going to try another recipe with sorghum flour. I found some sorgum flour from Twin Valley Mills that I really like. If I can get a good ravoli, I'll carry it in my store. I'm betting I'm not the only one who misses ravoli :)
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#22 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:20 AM

Yes--I miss it, too--particularly cheese ravioli. I had been having lasagna instead, which was just as good as my old gluten-filled lasagna (home-made with some flat noodles, made by Deboles I think). It's very good, but I haven't had it in many months since I cut out tomato sauce temporarily.

#23 mwical

mwical

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

thanks for the advice. I am still very new at this gluten-free thing, so I will continue to try different things to "acquire" a taste for them. Before I was diabetic I used to drink regular Pepsi, and now I can't stand the stuff after drinking Diet Pepsi for so long. Thanks for making that point.... Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is spaghetti squash???
Mark :huh:

#24 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:24 PM

Spaghetti squash is a type of winter squash, usually available about half of the year (here in California, anyway). It has a VERY tough outside, but once you smack it hard enough to crack it open, and then steam it, the cooked flesh can be scooped out into the strands that it forms. It looks like spaghetti (hence the name), but it doesn't taste that way, so it's not a substitute, it's just something different to try. It's high in vitamins and nutrition, though, and a healthy alternative.

Here's a website about it: All About Spaghetti Squash
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#25 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 10:01 PM

I also have a ravioli mould and I make my own ravioli. My favorite is a mushroom/romano cheese recipe I made. It is hard to roll gluten-free pasta dough because it's very sticky and stretchy compared to normal pasta dough, but I found a recipe that works very well and a secret I've learned is to roll it with a Teflon coated rolling pin on a Silpat cookie sheet, and use Asian rice flour for dusting surfaces. It helps keep the dough from sticking to your work areas. Corn starch just melts into the dough so it doesn't work as well for dusting surfaces. Also, roll the dough as thin as you can get it. It will seem ridiculously thin, but will cook up just right.

#26 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:19 PM

Much prefer rice pasta over corn. Corn also is a food I should avoid as a type O blood. I love the blood type diet.
it flat out says type o's are aften allergic to wheat/gluten. boy, were they right!

#27 brdbntL

brdbntL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 07:45 AM

Hi,
The pasta that is the most popular at our house is a rice, potato and soy called Bionaturae Gluten Free Pasta. My picky 6 year old said she couldn't even tell the difference from the gluten pasta as she calls it. Just be careful this brand also makes a wheat pasta.

#28 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:10 AM

I love rice pasta and prefer that over corn. We make spaghetti using rice noodles and I can't even tell the difference...it's so good :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#29 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:23 AM

Tinkyada here for me! I tried the corn & potato pasta's and the Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta taste better (closer to the real thing) in this 1/2 Italian's opinion (Or does that make mine only a 1/2 opinion?).

I just bought 8-pounds of the Tinkyada on-sale at Wild Oats here in Cleveland ($1.99/lb on-sale versus $3.69 regular price). To each his own, though. :)

Cleveland Bob
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#30 mwical

mwical

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

I just tried tinkyada for the first time today. I too bought 8 pounds of tinkyada on sale for $1.99 at Wild Oats near Cincinnati, OH., yesterday. I also bought several pounds of rice penne and rice elbows, all on sale so I stocked up, trusting you guys that Tinkyada was the best, and THANKS!!!, you all were correct! It is the closest I've found so far. I was getting really frustrated trying to make my own noodles. I can't seem to get the dough to the consistency of wheat flour and it has just been disasterous. I've tried many different combinations of flours, like corn, bean, white and brown rice, tapioca, and more, but nothing seems to work right. I may just have to give in to the notion that I may never be able to make my own. I also tried Catfish's recipe for bread except I didn't have the asian rice. It turned out pretty good except It only raised to about 2 inches high, which certainly was my fault. It had a very good flavor & consistency though, so THANKS CATFISH, I'll keep trying until I get it right. Thanks again everybody. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: