Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Craving Gluten Free

3 posts in this topic

HI,

I wasnt sure where to post this, just a littel story I wanted to share b/c my mom doesnt think anything of it.....

I am 22 and self diagnosed. When I was younger and would go shopping with my mom (way before I knew I was Gluten intolerant) I always remember passing through the gluten free section in the store and stopping and looking. For some reason I was always drawn to looking at the food, especially the pretzels. I ended up bugging my mom to buy me the pretzels, and of course she got upset b/c they were more expensive, but i kept bugging and bugging :lol: So evetually she bought them for me and after that I ended up craving them (even though my mom had no idea how b/c she thought they were absolutely disgusting- haha) My mom got pretty upset everytime we went to the store and I wanted Gluten free pretzles haha she said "why dont we just get regular prtetzels?, they are much cheeper" But for some reason I just craved the gluten-free ones really bad!

Maybe it was an early sign for my mom :lol: as if getting sick all the time and almost missing a few grades in school wasnt enough!!!

just thought I'd share :)

Ads by Google:

I never had any gluten free specialty foods until I figure out my problem with it. But, as a child and until now, I have never been much of a pasta person, never liked fried chicken or things that were breaded, most cakes and cookies I could eat very little of because they hurt my stomach. I never thought about it, because most of those things I was better off not eating anyway, but now it all makes perfect sense why I was never drawn to them. I knew subconsciously that it was those food making me sick. Just took a little while to figure it out. Adjusting to the gluten-free diet has been pretty easy for me. I know my body was craving it too!!!

When I was a freshman in college, I noticed that I preferred not to eat wheat items - i would eat my sandwhiches open-face so I didnt have to eat so much bread, and I preferred chips and cereals which were not wheat-based. I mentioned it to my mom, and that was when she told me I was violently allergic to wheat as an infant (but i grew out of it . .. well, kinda . . . . )

I think sometimes we can be aware of things without KNOWING we're aware of them, kwim