2 replies to this topic

#1 Eileen13

Eileen13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

Many products contain soy lecithin. Is this a gluten-based ingredient? Do soy derivatives in general contain gluten? What about emulsifiers?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Many products contain soy lecithin. Is this a gluten-based ingredient? Do soy derivatives in general contain gluten? What about emulsifiers?

Lecithin is a fatty substance. Gluten is a protein. There is no gluten in soy, but many people who cannot tolerate gluten cannot tolerate soy, either. I know that many people who are allergic to soy are allergic to the soy protein and can actually eat products that contain soy lecithin.

If you suspect you may have issues with soy, you should probably try eliminating it and see what happens. You may be able to tolerate lecithin but not soy protein.

There is a good easy-to-understand explanation of emulsifiers here: http://www.foodaddit...mulsifiers.html

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#3 mftnchn

mftnchn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

Yes, I agree. I also have seen references that soy can also cause villi damage, in some people, but it is not gluten. I can't tolerate any form of soy.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: