34 replies to this topic

#31 Reba32

Reba32

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

I live in Morganton, and I find quite a lot of gluten free products at Ingles. Though I don't eat a lot of packaged foods, mostly whole natural foods. I don't drink soda/pop, so can't help you there, but I've found some really nice chocolate at Aldi that didn't cause me any problems. Last night I had a small piece and it was oh so yummy! Choceur Dark Chocolate & Nuts.

It does not say specifically gluten free, however wheat is not listed with the allergen information. It is made in Germany, and in the EU I think there are a lot more knowledgeable about cross contamination than here in North America. Wheat is listed on some of the other Aldi/Choceur products, so I think the label is safe to trust that it is not cross contaminated. I didn't have any reaction to it, and my reactions are usually almost immediate.

As for frozen veggies, generally speaking if it comes "in sauce" or "with flavoring" it'll probably have gluten, or is likely cross contaminated. Just read the packages carefully. It gets easier after you've been doing it a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 ncteacher

ncteacher

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I'm from Monroe, where a new Celiac Sprue shop just opened (along with a bakery). Haven't tried them yet, but someday I'll get the time! :D
Iron-deficiency anemic since 2008.
Vitamin D deficient since 2009.
Presumed lactose-intolerant since 2005.
Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant since February 2012, and in the experimental phase of being completely gluten-free.
Don't want a biopsy. Don't want endoscopy. Blood tests will probably do no good, since I'm doing this on my own.

#33 lucky97

lucky97

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I can tell you that Aldi's has more and more products labeled "gluten free" almost by the month.

I found Choceur's Dark Chocolate (made in Austria) labeled with the "naturally gluten free" symbol. Several of their chocolates were. It's the same gluten free symbol that's on the other products, although sometimes is says "naturally gluten free" or just "gluten free."

So I can assume these are all "safe," right? I've had almost no chocolate since going gluten free.

#34 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Nope, but I'm currently going to school @ Elon :)

#35 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I can tell you that Aldi's has more and more products labeled "gluten free" almost by the month.

I found Choceur's Dark Chocolate (made in Austria) labeled with the "naturally gluten free" symbol. Several of their chocolates were. It's the same gluten free symbol that's on the other products, although sometimes is says "naturally gluten free" or just "gluten free."

So I can assume these are all "safe," right? I've had almost no chocolate since going gluten free.

To answer your question, the chocolate is most likely fine if they are labeling it that way. That doesn't mean cross-contamination isn't a possiblity. Double check the label to make sure it doesn't say "may contains..." or "made on shared equipment with...." Really, it's your own judgment call.
I'd eat the chocolate, if it were me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: