This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet Is Working!

feelingbetter

feelingbetter Rookie

I just wanted to share my experience with the SCD. I have now had 8 really good days with lots of energy. I am 3.5 months gluten-free and 2.5 months dairy, soy , sugar and corn free. Couple of slips with the sugar. Anyway I was just not getting better. I was still so fatigued and having lots of headaches and episodes of constipation. I was getting very, very discouraged. I finally decided to give the diet a try. I also noticed that if I cheat even a little that I don't feel as peppy the next day. I stopped taking iron pills, flaxseed and all other illegal foods. I am now reading the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. I thought I would be hungry without grains but I'm not.

I noticed an improvement within a couple of days. I never thought that I could live without grains but I no longer even think about them. I feel lighter and my mind is clear. I have had no depressive episodes. The constipation is gone and so have the headaches. I also started a good probiotic and continue with vitamins and good fats.

I am so grateful for this forum as I have learned so much from everyone. I am looking forward to further healing and returning to the gym. I have been so sick for soooo long. I know how difficult it is to lose yet another food but for me this has been a very liberating and positive experience. It might be worth a try to anyone who is still having a really hard time.

Cheers!

Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfmolly Contributor

Hi Brenda,

I have had success with SCD as well. I have been on it for about two months and all of my symptoms have cleared. I was opposite of you, D was biggest issue. I am feeling so much better, and I was gluten/dairy free for over a year before this, and just was stuck at about 90%. Now I feel 100%, and have been able to add the low-lactose SCD legal cheeses into my diet.

I have used the Pecanbread website for the introduction of foods. That has help me be kind to my tummy. I found that peanut butter was an issue for me, and I was eating it everyday pre-SCD, so it was hindering my healing all along.

If you haven't made the SCD yogurt, try it. It is phenomonal!

Molly

feelingbetter Rookie

Molly by any chance are you casein intolerant. I tested positive with enterolab and have been afraid to try making the yogourt. My understanding is that there is not much protein left after the 24 hour process.

Do you have a yogourt maker? If so what make?

Brenda

pele Rookie

Hi Molly and Brenda

I'm so glad you are posting on a new SCD thread. The old thread kind of slipped away.

I've been on the SCD for about 2 months also. I feel much better. Although my digestion is not perfect, it is a lot better. I have been able to determine that I am casein intolerant and have a lot more energy since giving up cheese and yogurt, whch I miss far more than I ever missed gluten.

Brenda, does making yogurt really destroy the casein? That would mean yogurt has no protein, wouldn't it?

Sometimes I get bored eating the same old things. Any suggestions for snacks? I nibble a lot between meals.

What do you two eat for breakfast, just out of curiosity?

therearemiracles Newbie

Hi Brenda,

I'm on my second week of SCD. I tried just eliminating gluten and dairy, no luck, now it's corn, soy, oats and grain and I'm doing so much better! I've had Ulcerated Colitis for 3 years and not one doctor told me it could be all these things listed above. I'm now working with a great natural path and we just finished my food antibodies test, DNA profile, stool and urine analysis. I'm going over my results over the next couple of weeks.

I've read ad re-read religiously Breaking the Vicious Cycle, it works! Although it allows cheeses, I don't do the cheese at all. Good luck to both of us!

I just wanted to share my experience with the SCD. I have now had 8 really good days with lots of energy. I am 3.5 months gluten-free and 2.5 months dairy, soy , sugar and corn free. Couple of slips with the sugar. Anyway I was just not getting better. I was still so fatigued and having lots of headaches and episodes of constipation. I was getting very, very discouraged. I finally decided to give the diet a try. I also noticed that if I cheat even a little that I don't feel as peppy the next day. I stopped taking iron pills, flaxseed and all other illegal foods. I am now reading the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. I thought I would be hungry without grains but I'm not.

I noticed an improvement within a couple of days. I never thought that I could live without grains but I no longer even think about them. I feel lighter and my mind is clear. I have had no depressive episodes. The constipation is gone and so have the headaches. I also started a good probiotic and continue with vitamins and good fats.

I am so grateful for this forum as I have learned so much from everyone. I am looking forward to further healing and returning to the gym. I have been so sick for soooo long. I know how difficult it is to lose yet another food but for me this has been a very liberating and positive experience. It might be worth a try to anyone who is still having a really hard time.

Cheers!

Brenda

feelingbetter Rookie

Brenda, does making yogurt really destroy the casein? That would mean yogurt has no protein, wouldn't it?

Sometimes I get bored eating the same old things. Any suggestions for snacks? I nibble a lot between meals.

What do you two eat for breakfast, just out of curiosity?

feelingbetter Rookie

Miracles- Sorry to hear of the colitis. That must be so difficult. I too am working with a wonderful alternative doc who is very much in favor of the SCD. He also has me on quite a supplement protocol. That's great to have all of the testing done as this will help to know what your body needs.

I never thought in a million years that I would only be eating meat, veggies, fruit, eggs, and nuts. I am grateful to be feeling better as meals are all made from scratch and require more effort. I can honestly say that I have never eaten so healthy in my life.

I have been disabled from celiac for around 8 years so it is incredible to feel stronger after so many years of being sick. Sounds like you have also had a rough go also.

Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

Brenda,

The 24 hour yogurt process is alleged to destroy lactose, not casein. I called Nancy's Yogurt about this and they said based on their extensive research with yogurt production, lactose and lactase, that culturing for 24 hours to eliminate lactose has no scientific basis.

I have a few other rants about the diet, too. Why are mung, fava, garbanzo and pinto beans "forbidden"? They are the yummy ethnic ones. Navy beans are pretty bad. Is it science or prejudice?

In any case, I am avoiding yogurt and the naughty beans. Red lentils are good.

For breakfast I have eggs, some turkey or chicken or sardines, and fruit. My snacks are dried fruit and concotions of nut butter and honey. It's getting boring but I am plodding away, day after day on this diet because I feel better.

Hi Miracles

Amazing how eliminating all that stuff eliminates processed food. After two months I have come to realize the pervasive power of the food industry and its advertising. Glad you are here with us.

feelingbetter Rookie

Pele- Thanks for the yogourt info. I have decided not to even try it. I am supposed to avoid all casein. I don't want to mess around with finally feeling better. Food is kind of like medicine to me now. I have really changed the way I use food. If it is not going to be healing I just don't bother.

therearemiracles Newbie

Thank you for responding Brenda, I just figured out how to read my responses.

I went back to the doctor today and he look up the back end and he's my inflammation,blood, mucus and pus is worse than last month. But I feel so much better and my stools are getting somewhat better. I think the gut is a different issue than my butt issues. My food allergies test is back and I'm going over the results with the doctor tomorrow. I wonder what they have to say. I saw my results I never scored moderate or high only very low or no tolerance at all. Wierd.

Next test is the DNA test about my body makeup and my blood type. I don't even know my blood type. i never went to a doctor before this UC 3 years ago. I've been to 13 different doctors in 3 years!

I'm eating no sugar and read fruit is bad for me since it's hard on the colon. I'm so glad to talk to the doctor about me results.

Thank you so much for responding. Are your supplements by Standard Process?

Linda

Miracles- Sorry to hear of the colitis. That must be so difficult. I too am working with a wonderful alternative doc who is very much in favor of the SCD. He also has me on quite a supplement protocol. That's great to have all of the testing done as this will help to know what your body needs.

I never thought in a million years that I would only be eating meat, veggies, fruit, eggs, and nuts. I am grateful to be feeling better as meals are all made from scratch and require more effort. I can honestly say that I have never eaten so healthy in my life.

I have been disabled from celiac for around 8 years so it is incredible to feel stronger after so many years of being sick. Sounds like you have also had a rough go also.

Brenda

feelingbetter Rookie

Linda- Let us know about your results. Hope you continue to heal and feel better.

I was taking a supp by Standard Process- betaine hydrochloride. Many of their supplements contain lactose or wheat or things with gluten. They do make an excellent product. Did you get the Health Equations Online report from them?

Brenda

therearemiracles Newbie

Hi Brenda,

My second natural path I went to started me with a ton of SP supplements not even looking at gluten as a causes. I've spent thousands with him. He thought just from what I told him I had bacteria problem from eating alfalfa sprouts I didn't wash. No testing. I'm currently working a great natural path from Wisconsin and I've done all these Genova test (formerly Great Smokies Lab) and I'm just waiting on my results. Like I said today, I go over food antibodies.

I wish all I had to deal with gluten that would be easy, but I'm thinking my UC is not related to my gut problems, but then again maybe it is. Last night all I had was 1/4 steak and veggies and my stools were better today. Yesterday I had pear/bannana/grapefruit all spread out throughout the day (eggs and some pot roast) and last nice lots of pus and blood, see I don't think you get the pus and blood if you just have celiac dis-ease right?

So the only supplements I'm taking now is Fivelac (probiotic and suppose to help with bacteria and yeast overgrowth) and a digestive enzyme if I eat meat, that's Digest Gold.

I'm finding that I'm working at this more than a doctor, but I feel like a lone woman on a island and I'm asking who else has this. I go to the UC forum, but a lot just accept they have to take medication and I can't.

I can't wait for me test results from my DNA Comprehensive Metobolica Profile is the name and it's suppose to be the best test out there right now for healthy and sick people. I watched a interview on youtube.com about the test and it gives me hope that some of my questions will be answered. It will tell you what vitamin or mineral you need more of, what's wrong with my gut for example.

Thanks for listening and sharing

linda

Linda- Let us know about your results. Hope you continue to heal and feel better.

I was taking a supp by Standard Process- betaine hydrochloride. Many of their supplements contain lactose or wheat or things with gluten. They do make an excellent product. Did you get the Health Equations Online report from them?

Brenda

Deb P Newbie

Hello All. I am so glad this thread was started again also. I too am having great results from the SCD! I went gluten-free about two years ago. Like everyone else still didn't feel well. Got rid of the corn, soy,rice,dairy. Still not feeling well. I started SCD on April 16th and I feel so much better. Like all of you not great but so much better. I had to stop taking my probiotics because it said could have traces of soy and dairy. What brand are you using? I had cheese last night (first dairy in a long time) and I think it went real well. I am so grateful we may be finally on the right path. I also have been sick for so long. I haven't been visiting regularly, now I will be here every day. :)

Deb

>^..^<

feelingbetter Rookie

Hi Deb- Happy to hear that you are doing well with the SCD. I find it kind of tough sometimes but worth it in the long run.

I take a probiotic by Metagenics called Ultra Flora Plus DF (dairy free).

Cheers

Brenda

pele Rookie

Hi Deb

It's wonderful to hear from so many people on the SCD, and several of us started arond the same time.

I am very, very careful about gluten, but not as worried about the SCD. I follow it 99+% but don't worry about fillers in vitamins or probiotics. IMO, and y

pele Rookie

Hi Linda

I know nothing about UC except that the author of BTVC is pretty convinced that SCD will help, so maybe you are on the right track and just need to give it time.

I take Digest Gold, too. I started about 4 months ago and it helped a lot. I don't think I need it anymore so probably won't buy more.

Archived