13 replies to this topic

#1 angelbender

angelbender

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

TURTLES too!!!!!!! I called a few months ago and the woman, very sweetly, told me not only are they gluten-free but that they know we Celiacs need some goodies. Turtles way back used to be run by DeMets,
most recently by Nestle but now apparently sold bk to DeMets. I love them and have had no problem
with them. She also told me that they've rec complaints about the cashews in them (previously the
only nuts were pecans) and are planning on changing bk to only pecans. Their toll free # listed on the package is the # I called which I don't have handy. I'm having trouble finding Turtles "out of season"
(non holiday like Christmas) in the big box......found one at a super Walmart and small packages at
Walgreen's but that's about it. Got to go.....hope this give you another yummy goodie!.........Angel :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

Turtles are indeed yummy! Glad you found some that you can eat!
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#3 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

I ate some this past Christmas with no ill effects. Pretty good stuff.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#4 TiffanyKatherine

TiffanyKatherine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Soo awesome!!

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Soo awesome!!

This thread is almost 5 years old. Product ingredients change in that amount of time. Check the ingredients yourself before eating.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Here in Canada, they are still sold under the Nestle brand, and are gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 marlene333

marlene333

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I just saw DeMet's Turtles in the check-out aisle in Giant Supermarket and was wondering if they were gluten free....THEY LOOKED SOOOOO GOOD.  Glad to hear that THEY ARE!!!!  Will buy some next time I go to the market - THANKS!!!!  :-)

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I just saw DeMet's Turtles in the check-out aisle in Giant Supermarket and was wondering if they were gluten free....THEY LOOKED SOOOOO GOOD.  Glad to hear that THEY ARE!!!!  Will buy some next time I go to the market - THANKS!!!!  :-)

PLEASE! Check the ingredients. They may still be gluten-free but the original thread is 2008, then a response a year ago that they are gluten-free in CANADA. Ingredients are not always the same. But, it's pretty simple. Just read the ingredients.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Because I love nuts+chocolate+caramel combinations I wrote them tonight asking for updated allergy info.  Will post when I get a reply.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#10 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I eat turtles all the time and never have any problems besides wanting more :P

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#11 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

I eat turtles all the time and never have any problems besides wanting more :P

Ugh I have to stop reading this thread, I really want chocolate now! :o  The nutrition info i read on the website looks like the are okay, I am looking forward to their response to my email, I have a good feeling! :D

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#12 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

You people have to stop this! I NEED to believe all these goodies have gluten in them! My thighs and butt do not need turtles and gelatos and Snickers and flavored pretzels, etc! How am I supposed to lose weight ? OMG! All of my favorite things are gluten-free! :)

dancing-turkey.gif

#13 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Sorry about the incoming chocolate craving Kareng... finally heard back from my email to them!

"Thank you for contacting DeMet's Candy Company regarding your inquiry.

While our TURTLES products do not contain gluten, they are not processed in a facility that is gluten free. We perform full allergen cleanings between production runs, however there is a slight chance that the product may contain traces of gluten. If you have any further questions regarding our products, feel free to contact us, we are more than happy to assist you."

So Shared facility, good cleaning practices, Id eat em.  Hmmmm maybe I should run to the store right now....

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

So Shared facility, good cleaning practices, Id eat em.  Hmmmm maybe I should run to the store right now....

Shared facility with Good Manufacturing Practices. That works for me. I have to limit my consumption due to sugar content, but I don't worry about gluten in Turtles. Suddenly, I have this craving...
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: