This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions

red345

On average, how many cups/soda/teas of caffeinated coffee caffeinated soda/tea per day were you consuming at the time of your diagnosis?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

red345 Apprentice

With two weeks to go until my final report, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to do me the favor of answering a series of five different questions that I will be posting over the coming 10 days. Thank you very much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Red,

Please clarify: time of diagnosis even if it's years after manifest of symptoms or at the exact time the celiac disease started?

red345 Apprentice

Hello, Deb. I must apologize to you and everyone else here for the double post. If any of the mods could ever remove the other double posting I would appreciate it. This particular one I made an error with on my grammar, obviously, but I guess we'll have to go with this one.

Deb, I guess what I'm looking for is that period leading up to your diagnosis. Specifically, when you first believe that you were experiencing symptoms consistent with Celiac Sprue, how much caffeinated coffee or soda were you drinking at that time, if anything. Thanks.

PS-Now I see that we've had people vote on both of them. Add one 3-5 and one 1-3 to this pole. I have the national average #, so I want to compare that to those vote totals here, that's my purpose with this one.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I voted in both spots as 1-3, so you might want to eliminate one 1-3 vote from your tally. Oh, also, moderators can't remove the post, but if you or a mod. or whoever reports it, it will get sent to him and Scott can take care of it.

Just out of curiosity--what correlation do you expect to see between caffeine and celiac disease?

red345 Apprentice

Great. Thanks for the info celiac3270. My apologies to everyone again for the double post.

Regarding the question, celiac3270, I'm trying to backdoor one specific angle on some of the variables I'll have to work with here when asking the final four questions. I was only looking into a specific pattern w/ this question, not much of which has anything at all to do with a direct relationship between Celiac and caffeine consumption. I'll pull all of it together for you in the end, promise you that, buddy. Thanks again for the info.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I would like to say 0 because I was under 2 years old and wasn't drinking cefenated

red345 Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

While I do believe that caffeine may be the trigger source for a limited few of you that are having an issue w/ Catecholamines, I think everyone here is smart enough to know that caffeine intake could never be implemented as the direct cause of Celiac Sprue.

As you can see, the average American would have chosen "3-5." But here, 69% of you said that you were consuming no caffeine to speak of at the time of the onset of your symptoms.

This discrepancy could mean one of many things. Perhaps those that voted were children at the time of being diagnosed. Or perhaps you have been a health conscious person along the way through life. Or maybe this poll is more accurate than one conducted by Johns Hopkins~.

Or perhaps it is that I've managed to irritate 69% of you along the way to such a degree that a limited few will do anything in their power to prove whatever it is that I intend to prove to be wrong~. Maybe one or two sub consciously want to have Celiac Sprue and/or feel the desire within to guard the current ideology to such a degree because it has worked for them, so they will deliberately do anything to throw off any hint at any other possibility.

I'm not accussing anyone of anything here. Not a bit. There's a 95% chance that this poll of 13 total votes is accurate to the surroundings. My only point is that 75% of adult Americans would have clicked 3-5 or 1-3.

If one is to judge words I have written on this forum to be representative of my true character, which would be a false belief, but if that's what you believe, I would again offer to you that of my apologies for some of those tactics along the way.

All I would ask at this point is if anyone may have deliberately voted the wrong way due to personal frustrations with me along the way, than please don't participate in the series of Yes/No questions that I will put up next week. Whether or not one person votes next week is irrelevant. As promised, I am done here in two weeks and that final report will be sent in, regardless. Than I'm done here for good, rest assured.

In the meantime, any information that I can obtain through those questions that I will be putting up next week would come as a benefit to everyone here. Whether you find my information to be credible or not, please do understand that I see something here, something big. If it all falls into place the right way, the way I suspect it to, it would help every single person here. And that's my goal, it is what I have been after all along.

To the staunch gluten free supporters, please do understand that I applaud you for your hard work, and I agree with everything you are doing. For those that have returned to full health by doing what you have, you have yourself to credit for that.

Yet, to you folks in particular, we have people that have done exactly what you have been doing for well over a year, but they are not getting better. Rather, a few are getting worse by following this diet, as it is written. What works for some does not always work for others-if we know anything at all about medicine, it should be that much, right?

You have my assurances that I will in no way ever support a conclusion that says, "Do this, do that and you can eat gluten again." I'm not the doctor, I wouldn't dare to ever recommend such a concept to anyone, you know that.

So all I ask is that for anyone that chooses to participate in the last survey I will put up next week is that you be honest w/ the answers you give. That's all I ask. And if you can't do that, than please don't take the poll. I'm going through with my paper in either case, I already have done what I've been after. But anything that can added to support any of it would be of great help, we all know that here. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, that was interesting to read--particularly about the withdrawl effects. I couldn't read it really carefully now, but I'll read it through more carefully later. I know that caffeine can be addictive, but I don't think that I consume enough for it to affect me too much. Thanks for posting, though :)

plantime Contributor

I voted 0 because I am a water drinker. I have dehydration issues, and the only way of dealing with it is to drink lots and lots of water.

red345 Apprentice

It's interesting you say that, Plantime. Have you ever been given a reason for what may be behind your dehydration? Just curious. In any sense, I thank you so much for your willingness to have voted, as well as your honesty.

One suggestion would be to request a tear test and SSA antibody if you haven't already done so just to rule out the unlikely possibility that Sjogren's may be active in your case. Take a look at those meds, too. Good luck to you.

tarnalberry Community Regular

As someone trained in research, intentionally falsifying data (by someone answering incorrectly on purpose) is pretty much anathem to me. It's just all wrong. I hope no one is doing that in this case, because even though I may not think your approach is entirely logical, you have every right not to have your data messed with. Unfortunately, your data is already skewed because this message board is not representative of celiacs, so there isn't any way to get a truely random sampling out of this board. If you're looking for a particular subset, however....

Archived