26 replies to this topic

#1 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:59 PM

I like an occasional Diet Dr. Pepper, or diet rootbeer. However, I try to avoid aspartame. (I think all the other diet sodas taste nasty <_< ) I'm looking for a Dr. Pepper, or rootbeer diet drink sweetened with Splenda that is gluten free. Any one know of some brands ?? Thanks !
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

Why not make your own? Sparkling water and juice. :) (Not calorie free, but lower than a regular soda, and has some vitamins.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:40 PM

If you are avoiding Aspartame for health reasons, you may want to do the same for Splenda, as it is no healthier than Aspartame.

Tiffany's idea is best, and you know what is in it.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 JustCan

JustCan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:17 AM

Boylan's diet soda's use splenda and I'm pretty sure they have diet root beer. It's one of the sodas that comes in the glass bottles. My regular grocery store carries but you can probably also find it at whole foods.
Gluten Free Since August 2007

#5 munkee41182

munkee41182

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:42 AM

I love sparkling water with some fruit slices in it....refreshing and sweet enough too!
Jami

#6 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:51 AM

Hansens makes a diet root beer that is sweetened with Splenda.

Hope this helps.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 kayavara

kayavara

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:25 AM

From reading the post....I assume celiacs can have diet soda.My GI printed out info from his office with the food groups that were good and bad.We've all seen these.In the allowed foods...I saw Coke

.Last week, when I met with the clinic's Dietican,she said no Coke products because they can blunt or flatten villi.I have given up most of my fav food and eat only what is allowed.I am really eating only what is on the gluten-free diet.I will have a hard time with the diet coke as it is my "wake up call".I don't do coffee and I get tremendous headaches when omitting the coke.

I know I can get past the habit,just as I did pasta,pizza,cookies etc.....but I still question Coke or no Coke??
Kay

Gluten free since 4/11/08
Positive dietary response
Blood test negative
Endoscopy negative biopsy
but found :" Villous blunting and atrophy" and
"Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema"
Doctor insisted I need to go gluten free for at least 4 months
Best thing I ever did!

#8 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

There is a new one out made with Stevia if you are into that. It's called "Zevia".
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

There is a new one out made with Stevia if you are into that. It's called "Zevia".

Stevia is what I always recommend as a sweetener. I'm surprised that there would be a soda sweetened with Stevia, as the powers that be seem to want everyone in the US to ruin their health with artificial garbage, including sweeteners, and have thus far not allowed products with Stevia, except for nutritional supplements. But looking on the Zevia website, I see they are calling the product a Stevia supplement, which explains how they are able to do it without the gov. stopping them. Unfortunately, they do add caffeine and other things (to some varieties) which aren't particularly healthy, though it's still obviously better than the typical soda on the market.

Anyway, you can add Stevia to homemade soda, which is what I'd do if I wanted any. I like the pure powder, with no fillers or anything. It's the only sweetener I use.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

According to my GI and various other doctors, if you have GI problems, use of Splenda is not recommended, as it can cause stomach pain and other issues. I know that Splenda gives me terrible stomach cramps myself, and one of the first things he told me before I even got diagnosed with Celiac was "No Splenda!". I can't handle aspartame cause it tastes disgusting. I had to give up soda cause its delicious but bad for you and switched to unsweetened fruit teas, non-caffienated. I make jugs of iced tea at home and carry it around in a cold metal thermos. Its delicious, no calories and no extra sweeteners. Just a thought.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#11 ERothman

ERothman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

From reading the post....I assume celiacs can have diet soda.My GI printed out info from his office with the food groups that were good and bad.We've all seen these.In the allowed foods...I saw Coke

.Last week, when I met with the clinic's Dietican,she said no Coke products because they can blunt or flatten villi.I have given up most of my fav food and eat only what is allowed.I am really eating only what is on the gluten-free diet.I will have a hard time with the diet coke as it is my "wake up call".I don't do coffee and I get tremendous headaches when omitting the coke.

I know I can get past the habit,just as I did pasta,pizza,cookies etc.....but I still question Coke or no Coke??

I think that Coke should be out of the question for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the Carmel Coloring, as far as I know it still contains gluten. If you absolutely have to have soda switch to a natural brand with real sugar and no coloring.

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

I think that Coke should be out of the question for a number of reasons, but mostly because of the Carmel Coloring, as far as I know it still contains gluten. If you absolutely have to have soda switch to a natural brand with real sugar and no coloring.

Coke and Pepsi products do not contain gluten, so they're safe from that standpoint.

Most sodas are gluten-free, but of course always check to make sure.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 ERothman

ERothman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

I like an occasional Diet Dr. Pepper, or diet rootbeer. However, I try to avoid aspartame. (I think all the other diet sodas taste nasty <_< ) I'm looking for a Dr. Pepper, or rootbeer diet drink sweetened with Splenda that is gluten free. Any one know of some brands ?? Thanks !

If you know the dangers of Aspartame, I implore you to look into the similar dangers of Splenda. It is indeed no healthier for you. If it is only occasional, why not drink regular soda? Those calories once and a while are not going to hurt you and you will be much better off with real sugar than the neurotoxins in the fake stuff. Of course preferably not a soda sweetened with HFCS ;)

#14 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions on brands. :)

And listen up folks---- You're " preachin' to the choir" about the evils of aspartame, sodas, splenda, etc.------------ I am the choir director. :D

I know ALL artificial sweetners are BAD BAD BAD------- (and I use them RARELY) :)
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#15 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

I know of a root beer that is really good without all the junk in it but it isnt diet. I buy at our local health food store.

http://www.virgils.com/about.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: