This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

After Going Gluten Free, Symptoms Worsen?

onelildream

onelildream Rookie

So, I have been gluten free for about a month. Although, I have just recently become very STRICT about it. I check evey label and stay entirely clear of any sort of product that may even have remote traces of gluten. I ate out for two meals last week and must have been accidentally glutened. I'm serious, I thought I was going to die. I was vomiting for hours and sitting on the pot for even longer. I felt ready to pass out. I never had symptoms as serious before, but after going gluten free my eczema cleared up, migraines and headaches stopped, nausea and occasional vomiting stopped, stomache aches and related problems cleared.... But seriously, I felt like I was on my deathbed.. And it lasted for 2 and a half days. I'm just wondering do symptoms worsen after going gluten free? Has anyone experienced that????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

It definitely is possible to become hyper sensitive to gluten after removing it from your diet. The longer I go without it, the worse it is when I come in contact with it.

Just throwing ideas out, that also sounds like it could be food poisoning??? Either way, I hope you are feeling better!!

ShayFL Enthusiast

It seems strange, but you actually react more violently when you clear your system of an irritant (i.e. gluten) when you get even small amounts of it. Symptoms are generally not as bad when you get a steady dose of it. It is weird, but true. Our bodies do unusual things.

At least you "know" when it happens and you can rest assured you will not "cheat".

onelildream Rookie

Yes, cheating is now not even remotely appetizing to me! Thanks for your replies. I will stay clear of food that could have cc or that I don't see prepped. It def may have been food poisoning. I didn't think of that. If it wasn't though, I sure am hypersensitive now!!

mushroom Proficient
I'm just wondering do symptoms worsen after going gluten free? Has anyone experienced that????

I concur completely with the others. Whilst we are merrily glutening ourselves with abandon,and suffering but don't know why, our systems are used to having to cope and do the best they can. Usually, with whatever level of suffering we have (and for each of us it is very different), we are at least functioning. But once we rid our body of the offender for a while and then resubject it to what it found intolerable, it reacts much more violently, like, "Hey, I thought I was rid of that. Get it outta here!) and not only is it worse but we notice it more because we have been getting used to feeling better.

Hope you are feeling better soon. And be careful out there--it is a gluten-filled world we live in. ((hugs))

sickchick Community Regular

I had that problem too, just be patient with yourself, and know you aren't alone... :)

pele Rookie

When you were a gluten-eater, your body was producing antibodies in response to inflammation and your immune system was working hard to reduce the inflammatory response. Now that you are nearly gluten-free, this is no longer happening and thus, your body can react to a few milligrams of gluten. Make sense? Dr. Peter HR Green explains this in detail in his book Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived