This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

Lisa63

Lisa63 Newbie

I was suffering stomach pain and vomiting since January. My primary care Dr. put me on phenergan and did an ultra sound and blood work. Of course nothing. He then sent me to a gastroenterologist who did an upper endoscopy with biopsies (three). They came up with Celiac Disease. I have never heard of this before. I could really use some help with this. I am trying to understand the gluten free diet, however I also have type 1 Diabetes. Will I be able to manage both diseases??? I actually just got this news today, so I haven't had a chance to be on a gluten free diet for a full day. The Dr gave me a lidocaine solution to drink 3 times a day for two weeks because my pain is so severe. I also had more blood work done today. If anyone has some advice for me to help me understand this disease and how to cope with it I would appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katebuggie28 Apprentice
I was suffering stomach pain and vomiting since January. My primary care Dr. put me on phenergan and did an ultra sound and blood work. Of course nothing. He then sent me to a gastroenterologist who did an upper endoscopy with biopsies (three). They came up with Celiac Disease. I have never heard of this before. I could really use some help with this. I am trying to understand the gluten free diet, however I also have type 1 Diabetes. Will I be able to manage both diseases??? I actually just got this news today, so I haven't had a chance to be on a gluten free diet for a full day. The Dr gave me a lidocaine solution to drink 3 times a day for two weeks because my pain is so severe. I also had more blood work done today. If anyone has some advice for me to help me understand this disease and how to cope with it I would appreciate it.

you shouldn't be having pain if you aren't eating food with gluten. avoid all foods with gluten and you shouldn't have any more stomach pains. good luck.

Lisa Mentor

Welcome Lisa,

Learning the gluten free lifestyle is not a simple task! It's a steep learning curve, but it's doable.

First advise is to keep it simple. Until you learn which companies have gluten disclosure policies, stick to simple foods (ie. meats, fish, rice, potatoes, fruit and fresh veggies). Stay way from processed food. Don't go out and buy a bunch of gluten free processed foods. You won't like then now.

Cooking at home can create some cross contamination issues. Wooden spoons, shared toasters and old cutting blocks can hide gluten. Scratched non-stick pots and pans should be replaced, others a good washing will do.

Dining out is another challenge I would recommends that you wait until you feel better. All of this can be mastered and you can live a life without sacrifice.

This site is the best for information available. Read, read, read.

Welcome to the club.

psawyer Proficient

Yes, you can manage both type 1 diabetes and celiac disease at the same time.

There are a number of members on this board who do just that.

Rule number 1: If there is a conflict between the two diets, the gluten-free option must prevail every time. A bit of sugar or extra carbohydrate will clear you system within hours and will likely have no long-term effects. It is your long-term blood sugar level (HbA1c) that matters, not any instantaneous reading. Gluten will set off an autoimmune reaction that will last much longer and can cause permanent damage. If I ingest any measurable amount of gluten, I have a reaction that lasts as much as two weeks.

As an undiagnosed celiac, you will have been experiencing malabsorption. The food you are eating is literally going in one end and out the other. After you eliminate gluten from your diet, your villi will heal and the malabsorption will go away. You will need to increase your insulin dose steadily and significantly during this recovery period. My daily dose more than doubled during the first six months gluten free, then ebbed back a bit.

Two other members here with both are elye and ~alex~. There are others; I just don't remember at the moment.

Welcome.

Lisa Mentor

oops - double post.

Susanna Newbie

Yes you can manage both disorders--you will require an adjustment period while you learn about the gluten-free diet, but as you do, it gets better--so much easier to manage--it took me about 6 months to learn how to live gluten-free, and since then, it's really not that hard or inconvenient, and WELL worth how much better I feel since I got off gluten. Your pain should go away, but it may take a while--your gut is probably pretty inflamed.

gluten-free newbie tips--now you can eat to treat, and soon feel better. Here are some key coping strategies to get you started.

1. Know that you will grieve your old favorite gluten-filled foods. I actually tear up when I see a brioche sometimes. Grieving is normal, BUT IT IS NOT EASY OR COMFORTABLE. People around you will eat treats you can't have and you will feel sad and isolated. Strategy: stock your car, office, purse, backpack, secret drawer at home with gluten-free treats you can reach for any time you are feeling deprived. This really helped me. I did it with candy bars (Baby Ruth Bars, Snicker Bars) but maybe you'll need to choose something a little more diabetic-friendly, like peanuts or something). Also

ShayFL Enthusiast

Welcome!

Here is a great site that can help you a lot. You will want to stick with lower glycemic foods. Eat mostly from the left column. Chana Dal isnt listed, but it an excellent gluten-free food for diabetics.

Open Original Shared Link

Omitting any that are (wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats) of course.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa63 Newbie

Thank you so much everybody (especially Susanna) for all of your information. It has helped me a great deal. I am slowly learning everday about a gluten free diet. My daughter has been a great deal of help to me also. Again, I want to thank you all again. Lisa

Archived