40 replies to this topic

#1 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 04:51 PM

I can't wait until March 15. I have to eat my old normal diet until then. My endoscopy was to be Feb 1 but since I've been gluten-free I have to eat "regular" again until the test. What a bummer. I am miserable at the thought of feeling bad for the next 6 weeks, but the doc says so, so I will:(
Any tips on how to control the tummy aches?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:03 PM

This is what helps me--

If you have nausea, peppermints help (I use Altoids, but any gluten-free ones will do). For stomach pains/aches, I find that a heating pad helps soooo much--and the curled up, fetal position I always naturally take when I have celiac-related stomach aches. Of course, wear loose pants, etc.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

That is awful. I don't think I could do it. . .even for the test.

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:40 PM

Try taking enzymes when you eat....ginger tea and peppermints are good. Probiotics are good as well. I hope all goes well and hope you can feel good again soon good luck! :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks. I will keep posting on this as a way to vent my problems of the next 6 weeks! I really appreciate your support.
I had Mac n cheese tonight..it didn't even taste good to me to eat real pasta again, oddly enough. So far it's three hours later and no stomach ache but my hands turned red and I have a slight headache.
Oh boy, six weeks and counting!! I couldn't do it without you guys!!!!
Jennifer

#6 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:27 AM

i don't think i could do it......i just get so sick from eating it i would be in bed the entire time feeling like i swallowed poison.
i would keep ckeing with them to see if there are any cancellations or any way that they can take you sooner.
good luck to you!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#7 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:50 AM

Hi Mel, likely Jennifer's date got bumped because she has been gluten-free and they need her to eat gluten for a certain amount of time to create a "normal" environment to test.

Jennifer, since you've got to have gluten, could you please have the following items for me... Angel Food Cake, best served with strawberries and whip cream, Yorkshire Pudding, and a cold Canadian Beer! ? :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance! :lol: By the way, I'm not being insensitive here, just trying to make a little light on a tough situation! :( Hang in there!

#8 whimsygirl

whimsygirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:07 PM

Hi, also a newby, and just in case you're not a very big peppermint person, I thought I'de let you know the cinnamon Altoid gum was great for me. As soon as something made me nauseous I'd have to have one. I had soooo many containers of it just to not run out it looked like I was an addict or something. And I have to say my mind misses a lot of the "old" foods and if I try to eat them they don't taste good to me either. I think our minds are harder to retrain than our stomachs.
Anyway good luck,
Whimsygirl

#9 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

Hi, also a newby, and just in case you're not a very big peppermint person, I thought I'de let you know the cinnamon Altoid gum was great for me. As soon as something made me nauseous I'd have to have one. I had soooo many containers of it just to not run out it looked like I was an addict or something. And I have to say my mind misses a lot of the "old" foods and if I try to eat them they don't taste good to me either. I think our minds are harder to retrain than our stomachs.
Anyway good luck,
Whimsygirl

Wow...are you sure that Altoid gum is gluten-free? Have you called the company? Cause I thought that maybe 4-7 months ago, there was a post about gum. Someone asked if it was gluten-free and someone else said it wasn't. If my memory is incorrect, I apologize for scaring you, but I just wanted to alert you to that in case you were accidentally consuming gluten.

#10 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:19 PM

Hello Jennifer; that really is a tough one. I can't imagine going back on gluten foods, although my mind keeps saying that I would love to have fresh crusty rolls with soup and good old apple pie. My stomach ties itself in knots if I actually think about eating them. Come to think of it, after all these years I'm not sure I remember how they taste anymore. :rolleyes:
I think the problem with some gums is that some of them are made with 'oat gum' I do believe that there are gluten free ones out there. I'm not a gum person so don't really know for sure. A word of caution for some of you who are. If you have acid reflux disease as well as Celiac. The gum chewing will make the acid worse.

#11 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for your great comments! They are helping me! I confess, today I have not yet had gluten. I couldn't do it AGAIN after last night. But it's OK...since my test is not until March 15 I have a little leway (sp?). The doc said when I get to two to three weeks before I have to be really serious and eat it all day. I'm going to start that probably like mid feb. Now i'm trying to slowly wean myself back. I'll probably eat graham crackers or an English muffin for a snack tonight.
Tammy, I will have your strawberry shortcake with whip cream. Not the beer, though. I'll have my hubby drink that for you; he loves beer...lol.

#12 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 06:48 AM

My endocrinologist had the best advice...tell the gastro doctor to go jump. If your blood work was clear cut and you get better going gluten-free only to have symptoms when you eat gluten, the only reason the endocrinologist could think of to put me through it again was stubborness or money. He kept shaking his head and muttering something about that hippocratic oath they had taken. I won't repeat it here since it made me blush. I wish now that I had taken his advice and refused. It took months to get over that three weeks.

Interestingly, I found that the stuff I expected to taste so good felt funny in my mouth and didn't taste right any more. The white flour stuff like pizza dough just coated my mouth and felt yucky. It had the strangest consistency. Between that and the consequences of eating it, it just was not worth it.

Wishing I had had the guts to refuse to deliberately harm myself...
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#13 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:05 AM

Good luck making it through this time. I hope it passes as quickly as possible!

BTW - the cinnamon altoids is gluten-free, but the peppermint is not. the company will clearly list gluten containing ingredients on the packaging, and the peppermint flavor uses wheat starch that the cinnamon ones don't.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#14 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:11 AM

The gum, you mean, right? you're not referring to the actual mints.

#15 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

Well, the thing is this: only ONE of the three blood tests came back positive. My doctor said that means I only have a 50% chance of having it. He said if all my blood tests came back abnormal that would mean I have a 97% chance...but right now it's only 50/50.
He said he realizes that I can eat gluten-free if I like it and that's not a problem but he said, "Do you really want to always worry about cross contamination when you eat/travel to the point that someone who actually has the disease has to worry if you might not even have it? I realized he is probalby right. It is a HUGE pain to eat out/travel. You can order gluten-free food but there's no guarantee. If I don' t have celiac disease I can eat out /travel without worrying. If I accidentally gluten myself, I might not feel well, but it won't damage me if I don't have celiac disease.
That's my main concern; what do you think? I will eat gluten-free no matter what the diagnosis, but if I accidentally gluten myself I wouldn't have to worry if I don't have celiac disease. plus, this is the rest of my life we're talking about. If one day I really want to cheat and I DO have celiac disease, I won't do it. If I don't, I may cheat once in a while. But I agree; foods don't taste the same. That regular pasta I had the other night was gross to me and I used to love it. So I may not cheat anyhow.
Help! So confused....
Maybe it's better to be sick for a couple of weeks and be sure for the rest of my life......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: