This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mercury Poses Health Risks...

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

As promised, I'm starting this thread for those who are interested in discussing mercury/heavy metals and their role in chronic illness....including digestive problems, food intolerance, chronic gut infections and leaky gut.

Anyone interested in this topic, testing for heavy metals, treatment options, related conditions, etc....feel free to post any questions you might have. :)

I will start with posting some EXCELLENT news with regards to progress in the acknowledgement that mercury in amalgam fillings pose a health risk for individuals who may be susceptible or have weakened immune systems (due to additional health problems), pregnant women, fetuses, children and babies who are nursing.

WASHINGTON (June 5) - Silver-colored metal dental fillings contain mercury that may cause health problems in pregnant women, children and fetuses, the Food and Drug Administration said on Wednesday after settling a related lawsuit.

As part of the settlement with several consumer advocacy groups, the FDA agreed to alert consumers about the potential risks on its website and to issue a more specific rule next year for fillings that contain mercury, FDA spokeswoman Peper Long said.

As the result of a lawsuit, the Food and Drug Administration has agreed to warn consumers that metal fillings, which contain mercury, pose risks to children, fetuses and people who are sensitive to the chemical.

Millions of Americans have the fillings, or amalgams, to patch cavities in their teeth.

"Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses," the FDA said in a notice on its Web site.

"Pregnant women and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existing high levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but should discuss options with their health practitioner," the agency said.

The FDA said it did not recommend that people who currently have mercury fillings get them removed.

The FDA must issue the new rules in July 2009, Long said.

Such a rule could impact makers of metal fillings, which include Dentsply International Inc and Danaher Corp unit Kerr.

The new rule will give the agency "special controls (that) can provide reasonable assurance of the safety and effectiveness of the product," Long said.

The lawsuit settlement was reached on Monday with several advocacy groups, including Moms Against Mercury, which had sought to have mercury fillings removed from the U.S. market.

While the FDA previously said various studies showed no harm from mercury fillings, some consumer groups contend the fillings can trigger a range of health problems such as multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease. In 2006, an FDA advisory panel of outside experts said most people would not be harmed by them, but said the agency needed more information.

Mercury has been linked to brain and kidney damage at certain levels. Amalgams contain half mercury and half a combination of other metals.

Charles Brown, a lawyer for one of the groups called Consumers for Dental Choice, said the agency's move represented an about-face. "Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA's claims that no science exists that amalgam is unsafe," he said in a statement.

J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. analyst Ipsita Smolinski said the FDA is not likely to outright ban the fillings next year but will probably call for restrictions.

"We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicate that mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals," Smolinski wrote in a research note on Wednesday.

Fewer patients have been opting for mercury fillings in recent years, instead choosing lighter options such as tooth-colored resin composites.

Only 30 percent of fillings given to patients were mercury-filled ones as of 2003, according to the American Dental Association (ADA). Other options include glass cement and porcelain as well as other metals such as gold, but they cost more and are less durable, the group has said.

This is definately something to celebrate....its a step in the right direction and hopefully the first of several steps which eventually leads to the banning of mercury fillings in dentistry.

An online poll had 90% currently with amalgam fillings in their mouth...and only 10% without.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

yay for having never gotten amalgam fillings. (not many cavities, and always composite.)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

You can find the ADA's response here.

Open Original Shared Link

You can find the ADA's response here.

Umm, correct me if I'm missing something here, but WHAT THE HECK KIND OF RESPONSE IS THAT? It doesn't say anything!!!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Umm, correct me if I'm missing something here, but WHAT THE HECK KIND OF RESPONSE IS THAT? It doesn't say anything!!!

Umm, yeah .... seems that they don't see the real change the FDA made .... that the FDA has just declared that there are neurotoxins associated with mercury! The ADA is in denial just as the IDSA is regarding their recent bout with the attorney general of CT regarding Lyme!

It's about time these medical groups were held accountable.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

The ADA states...

As far as the ADA is aware, the FDA has in no way changed its approach to, or position on, dental amalgam.

What??!! :blink:

It seems like the ADA is trying to "downplay" the new warnings regarding mercury fillings and health risks. There is no mention of this at all in the ADA's "response".

The FDA has clearly changed its position. In the past the FDA had always maintained that the fillings were safe and do not cause harm....except in rare cases of allergic reaction.

They are no longer making the claim that the amalgams are safe.

As far as labeling goes...

Labeling Controls. For example, how should labeling controls, if any, address the disclosure of composition, including mercury content, and precautions regarding use of the device in sensitive subpopulations composed of individuals who respond biologically at lower levels of exposure to mercury than the general population?

If so, which subpopulations should be included (e.g., children under age 6, pregnant and lactating women, hypersensitive or immunocompromised individuals)?

Should the labeling controls require more specific patient labeling (e.g., informing patients of identified sensitive subpopulations of the mercury content, the alternatives to the device and their relative costs, and health risks associated with the failure to obtain dental care)?

The problem with that is most people do not KNOW if they are in the "hypersensitive subgroup". Some people do not KNOW that their immune system may be compromised by other factors making them more susceptible to the toxic effects of mercury. Most people do not KNOW whether or not they already have existing high levels of mercury bioburden.

Are you an individual who will respond biologically at lower levels of exposure to mercury than the general population??

Come on! Who really knows that??!!

Mercury has never been proven to be safe at ANY level....so why must we continue to take these risks??

It makes more sense to ban the use of amalgams as they've done in some other countries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
It makes more sense to ban the use of amalgams as they've done in some other countries.

I agree .... but think about it .... there would be a huge number of lawsuits over amalgams ... so any changes will happen slowly because of that .... to prevent lawsuits.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...I see the fillings being phased out very slowly rather than banned because of the health risks involved.

It sucks but thats the reality. :rolleyes:

There would be an enormous amount of lawsuits...most of the people in this country have (or have had) amalgams. There would also be lawsuits from the parents who have children born with high levels of mercury.

fedora Enthusiast

what is the proper way to have a mercury filling removed? My husband and I both had an old one removed because of further decay. They were replaced with the white resin stuff.

I know we had dental dams. My dentist had new equipment for removing metal fillings. Seems like he was careful and they vacuumed stuff out alot. He wore a mask. That was years ago. My hubby just had his taken out. I know he had a dental dam too, but don't know of anything else because I was not there.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Here is the protocol....usually followed only by holistic or biological mercury-free dentists.

International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology

Protocol for Mercury/Silver Filling Removal

Patient protection:

First in every concerned doctor's mind is the protection of the

patient from additional exposure to mercury. This is especially true of

the mercury toxic patient. The mercury toxic patient may have been exposed

to varying amounts of mercury from diet, environment, employment or from

mercury/silver dental fillings. All forms are cumulative and can

contribute to the body burden. The goal of this preferred procedure is to

minimize any additional exposure of the patient, ourselves, or staff to

mercury.

During chewing the patient is exposed to intraoral levels which are

several times the EPA allowable air concentration. During the removal or

placement of amalgam the patient can be exposed to amounts which are a

thousand times greater than the EPA allowable concentration. Once the

drill touches the filling temperature increases immediately vaporizing the

mercury component of the alloy. There are 8 steps to greatly reducing

everyone's exposure.

Step one Keep the fillings cool

1) All removal must be done under cold water spray with copious

amounts of water. Once the removal has begun, the mercury

vapor will be continuously released from the tooth.

2) Therefore, A high volume evacuator tip should be kept near the

tooth (1/2 inch) at all times to evacuate this vapor from the

area of the patient. Polishing amalgam can create very dangerous

levels of mercury and should be avoided especially for the

mercury toxic patient.

3) All patients having amalgam removed or placed should be provided

with an alternative air source and instructed to not breathe

through their mouth during treatment. A nasal hood such as is

used with the nitrous oxide analgesia equipment is excellent.

Air is best and oxygen is acceptable although not required. If

just air is used it should be clean and free of mercury vapor

preferably from outside the dental office.

4) Particles of mercury alloy should be washed and vacuumed away as

soon as they are generated. The filling should be sectioned and

removed in large pieces to reduce exposure.

At present the International Academy of Oral Medicine and

Toxicology (IAOMT) has approved removal both with and without

the use of a rubber dam. Some evidence exist to support both

views since high levels of mercury and amalgam particles can

be found under the dam. All members are agreed that whether or

not a rubber dam is used the patient should be instructed to

not breathe through their mouth or swallow the particles.

Some experts feel that it is better to remove the amalgam first

and then apply the dam if needed for restorative procedures.

5) After the fillings have been removed, take off the rubber dam

if one was used and lavage the patients mouth for at least 30

seconds with cold water and vacuum. Remove your gloves and

replace them with a new pair. If a restorative procedure is

next then reapply a new dam and proceed.

6) Immediately change patients protective wear and clean their face.

7) Consider appropriate nutritional support before, during and

after removal.

8) Install room air purifiers or ionizers and fans for everyone's

well being.

Staff protection

OSHA requires that employees be given written informed consent

before the use of any toxic chemicals of which mercury is one. Elemental

mercury vapor is one of the most toxic forms of mercury and should not

breathed. Women of child bearing age should be exposed to no more than 10%

of the OSHA MAC. Women who are pregnant should be exposed to no

mercury. If you use mercury or remove mercury in any form the National

Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that

your employees be medically monitored annually.

9) Any mercury exposure requires that the employee wear an approved

mercury filter mask. An approved mask is appropriate for

wearing during all dental procedures which will expose you or

your staff to mercury.

The manner in which dentists operate their equipment dramatically

affects the amount of mercury released. Never drill on mercury high dry.

It is hazardous to you, your staff, and your patient. Levels as high as

4000 mg/M3 have been measured 18" from the drill when used high dry. Levels

over 1000 mg/M3 are measurable upon opening an amalgam mixing capsule.

One out of 7 California dental offices tested over the OSHA TWA of

50 mg/M3. 100% of the vacuum cleaner exhaust tested over 100 mg/M3. Any

office where mercury is used should be tested regularly and staff should be

monitored for exposure. Testing services are available and a mercury sensor

badge is available for personnel monitoring. They should test inside

storage areas and along baseboards where mercury might have dropped. Office

spills can go undetected for years and are extremely hazardous.

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology protocol

committee seeking submissions to the Standards of Care Protocol/Preferred

Procedures. We are particularly concerned and interested in detoxification.

A one page self explanatory form is in the meeting packet.

Unfortunately, most regular dentists dont take these precautionary steps because many of them believe that there is no risk to the patient or to themselves. My dentist was one who believed every word written by the ADA....and after he drilled out my fillings I lost my health.

Those dentists who speak to their patients about removing fillings due to the toxic effects of mercury...or who acknowledge to a patient that the fillings can be harful...are at risk for losing their liscence to practice dentistry.

The ADA has taken affirmative steps to prevent dentists from informing their patients about the existence of or the risks of mercury in dental fillings. The ADA, in 1990, adopted an Ethical Rule (5A), which prohibits dentists from removing amalgam,
CarlaB Enthusiast

I know a mercury-free dentist in Ohio going through the process to have his license revoked. I think he may have settled because his website is still up. He even had HBOT and other treatments in his office for detox. I know he moved those elsewhere to separate them from his practice.

Rachel, will you please post your source for the second article above? I'd like to see it in it's entirety.

As far as I know, my dentist toes the ADA party line--but she did tell me that if I ever notice a strong metallic taste in my mouth, then it would mean that it's time for the amalgams to come out, and that I would need it done one quadrant at a time. But she never said anything about any other precautions, so I am very leery of going to her for the removal.

She did, at my request, use resin fillings for my kids (2 out of 3 have 2 cavities each :( ).

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, will you please post your source for the second article above? I'd like to see it in it's entirety.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you.

fedora Enthusiast

thanks. I would like to print this out and take it to our dentists.

my kids have fillings, thankfully I refused metal ones. fiddle-faddle, don't feel bad, my sons have had lots. I had one metal flling removed 6 years ago and still have one. Not happy about it though

fiddle-faddle, don't feel bad, my sons have had lots.

I never had a single cavity til I was 16, and then it was on a baby tooth that didn't have a secondary tooth under it (I have 3 of those :(). But I had a gluten-lite diet (my mom didn't know about gluten, she just thought that bread and pasta were empty calories and never served them except bread for sandwiches at lunch, and then it was stone-ground whole wheat).

fedora Enthusiast

I got two at 12 and then no more untill I had a son and twins, then got two more. Wouldn't you know it, my teeth are getting worse and I have two more now(celiac related?)

My poor son had 2 teeth pulled at six. Horrible. I had them fixed twice already too. For us it was not making them floss until he was five. The boys teeth are tight together. We brushed his teeth and he did not eat lots of candy either. Their sister has great teeth though(hers were wider apart)

I am glad I insisted on non metal fillings for them. I got a shot once to fix a cavity. I had a bad reaction(I think he hit a nerve). THEN he told me they had run out of composite material. They should have checked that first. I left. I refused to get the metal filling even though I had had the shot already(plus I felt weird).

I ate so much gluten growing up...I was so so sick too.

solo Newbie

I had 9 silver mercury fillings in my mouth and since reading about the possible health benefits of getting them removed, have done so. But I have been thinking of removing them before I read about the dangers of mercury- mostly for cosmetic reasons. I recently got them all replaced by composite-teeth lookalike fillings and besides looking like an actual human when I open my mouth now, I take 1 less injection of insulin now. I used to take 3 shots of Novolog and 1 shot of Lantus. Now I just take 3 shots of novolog!

Ursa Major Collaborator

I still have five amalgam fillings, and am in the process of finding myself a holistic dentist to get them out.

My husband keeps getting advice from people who say it is nonsense that the mercury in amalgam is dangerous. He just told me a couple of minutes ago (with a gleam in his eyes that showed he thinks I am full of it when talking about amalgams) that a dental assistant told him just last week, that people who come in to have their amalgam fillings removed are silly. She said that then they have them replaced with alternative materials that are not safe, either, because they give off plastic vapour or other things.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials. Yet another thing I can't talk with him about (we have very few topics that are safe for me to talk to him about without shooting myself in the foot).

solo Newbie
I still have five amalgam fillings, and am in the process of finding myself a holistic dentist to get them out.

My husband keeps getting advice from people who say it is nonsense that the mercury in amalgam is dangerous. He just told me a couple of minutes ago (with a gleam in his eyes that showed he thinks I am full of it when talking about amalgams) that a dental assistant told him just last week, that people who come in to have their amalgam fillings removed are silly. She said that then they have them replaced with alternative materials that are not safe, either, because they give off plastic vapour or other things.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials. Yet another thing I can't talk with him about (we have very few topics that are safe for me to talk to him about without shooting myself in the foot).

The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body. Human beings were not meant to have metal in their mouths. The ADA, during a congressional hearing on if amalgam fillings are 100% safe, admitted,

Ursa Major Collaborator
The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body. Human beings were not meant to have metal in their mouths. The ADA, during a congressional hearing on if amalgam fillings are 100% safe, admitted, “mercury fillings are toxic before they go into the mouth and toxic after they come out”

But for the most part, I’d say your husband’s advice is spot-on. There’s many other things one can do to improve their health. The only immediate benefit to replacing the fillings is the aesthetic effect- the replacement fillings actually look like real teeth. Personally, I am extremely taking a pro-active stance on my health; I have done many things to improve it. I can’t honestly claim I had any significant improvement in my health just from removing my amalgam fillings. My taking 1 shot less of insulin could be from cutting all carbonated beverages out of my diet (cutting out aspartame), or exercising more, or doing a colon cleanse. But every little bit helps.

My big problem is, that I am in very poor health. The gluten-free diet (and cutting out a lot of other foods, too) has helped in getting rid of fibromyalgia pain and my diarrhea and terrible gas. But other than that my health is still getting worse.

I've had a hair analysis done ten days ago (don't have results yet). That is the first step in finding out what is still making me ill (actually, the first step was a parasite cleanse, and I had thousands of parasites come out, without feeling better).

So, the mercury fillings could be a huge problem for me, because I am extremely sensitive to lots of things.

solo Newbie
My big problem is, that I am in very poor health. The gluten-free diet (and cutting out a lot of other foods, too) has helped in getting rid of fibromyalgia pain and my diarrhea and terrible gas. But other than that my health is still getting worse.

I've had a hair analysis done ten days ago (don't have results yet). That is the first step in finding out what is still making me ill (actually, the first step was a parasite cleanse, and I had thousands of parasites come out, without feeling better).

So, the mercury fillings could be a huge problem for me, because I am extremely sensitive to lots of things.

Well in that case I would definitly consider the amalgam removal. Remember the old saying, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. What you have in your mouth can be poisining you and be the catalyst for your bad health. But it's a persal desicion so you have to make the final verdict. But let me be fair here and present the negative aspects. First and foremost the dinero- I beleive it cost me around $1,300 to get them all replaced, and it's even more if you go to a holistic dentist. I went to a biological dentist to inquire on the protocall, and I found out that getting them replaced by a holistic dentist is like committing to buy a new car. But then a biological dentist will take every precaution to not expose you to that mercury gas that will increase upon removal, so again you must decide. Another negative is I personally have experienced some slight sensitivity with composite fillings- but it can be solvented by using sensitive toothpaste. Again, your call.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body.

This is true...and that mercury which has been absorbed actually remains where it is for a VERY long time. Mercury is abosorbed very easily...its readily taken up into the CNS and into cells....however, it does not leave quite so easily.

Removing the fillings is only the first step when trying to rid the body of mercury which may be causing health problems. The first step is to remove the source of exposure....but after that you have to address the toxic load you may already be carrying around after having been exposed to mercury vapor for several years...or decades.

Alot of people are removing their fillings once they are already sick and hoping to "get better" that way. It doesnt usually work that way because they are leaving all of that mercury in their body and the problems dont resolve while the body remains toxic.

If mercury left the body so easily it wouldnt be causing so many health problems. Unfortunately, once its in the brain and in the CNS...it has a half life of about 30 years. So...its really not going anywhere on its own.

In my opinion, had you never had the fillings in the first place you may not have ever required ANY daily shots.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials.

Ursa, even the ADA acknowledges (after years of denial) that the fillings leak mercury. The formula used in the fillings was changed in the early 70's and since then have leaked even higher amounts of mercury vapor.

Maybe have your husband watch this video.

He will actually *see* the mercury vapor coming off an amalgam filling. This is not in question...the fillings DO leak and they leak higher amounts everytime we chew, smoke or drink a hot liquid.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Rachel, I'm curious what you mean by the ADA changing its position. When I checked the ADA website's response to the recent FDA changes, they were stubbornly standing by their previous position that the amalgams are safe.

Archived