34 replies to this topic

#16 fedora

fedora

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

thanks. I would like to print this out and take it to our dentists.
my kids have fillings, thankfully I refused metal ones. fiddle-faddle, don't feel bad, my sons have had lots. I had one metal flling removed 6 years ago and still have one. Not happy about it though
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

fiddle-faddle, don't feel bad, my sons have had lots.

I never had a single cavity til I was 16, and then it was on a baby tooth that didn't have a secondary tooth under it (I have 3 of those :(). But I had a gluten-lite diet (my mom didn't know about gluten, she just thought that bread and pasta were empty calories and never served them except bread for sandwiches at lunch, and then it was stone-ground whole wheat).

#18 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

I got two at 12 and then no more untill I had a son and twins, then got two more. Wouldn't you know it, my teeth are getting worse and I have two more now(celiac related?)
My poor son had 2 teeth pulled at six. Horrible. I had them fixed twice already too. For us it was not making them floss until he was five. The boys teeth are tight together. We brushed his teeth and he did not eat lots of candy either. Their sister has great teeth though(hers were wider apart)

I am glad I insisted on non metal fillings for them. I got a shot once to fix a cavity. I had a bad reaction(I think he hit a nerve). THEN he told me they had run out of composite material. They should have checked that first. I left. I refused to get the metal filling even though I had had the shot already(plus I felt weird).

I ate so much gluten growing up...I was so so sick too.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#19 solo

solo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:13 AM

I had 9 silver mercury fillings in my mouth and since reading about the possible health benefits of getting them removed, have done so. But I have been thinking of removing them before I read about the dangers of mercury- mostly for cosmetic reasons. I recently got them all replaced by composite-teeth lookalike fillings and besides looking like an actual human when I open my mouth now, I take 1 less injection of insulin now. I used to take 3 shots of Novolog and 1 shot of Lantus. Now I just take 3 shots of novolog!

#20 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

I still have five amalgam fillings, and am in the process of finding myself a holistic dentist to get them out.

My husband keeps getting advice from people who say it is nonsense that the mercury in amalgam is dangerous. He just told me a couple of minutes ago (with a gleam in his eyes that showed he thinks I am full of it when talking about amalgams) that a dental assistant told him just last week, that people who come in to have their amalgam fillings removed are silly. She said that then they have them replaced with alternative materials that are not safe, either, because they give off plastic vapour or other things.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials. Yet another thing I can't talk with him about (we have very few topics that are safe for me to talk to him about without shooting myself in the foot).
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#21 solo

solo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

I still have five amalgam fillings, and am in the process of finding myself a holistic dentist to get them out.

My husband keeps getting advice from people who say it is nonsense that the mercury in amalgam is dangerous. He just told me a couple of minutes ago (with a gleam in his eyes that showed he thinks I am full of it when talking about amalgams) that a dental assistant told him just last week, that people who come in to have their amalgam fillings removed are silly. She said that then they have them replaced with alternative materials that are not safe, either, because they give off plastic vapour or other things.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials. Yet another thing I can't talk with him about (we have very few topics that are safe for me to talk to him about without shooting myself in the foot).

The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body. Human beings were not meant to have metal in their mouths. The ADA, during a congressional hearing on if amalgam fillings are 100% safe, admitted, “mercury fillings are toxic before they go into the mouth and toxic after they come out”
But for the most part, I’d say your husband’s advice is spot-on. There’s many other things one can do to improve their health. The only immediate benefit to replacing the fillings is the aesthetic effect- the replacement fillings actually look like real teeth. Personally, I am extremely taking a pro-active stance on my health; I have done many things to improve it. I can’t honestly claim I had any significant improvement in my health just from removing my amalgam fillings. My taking 1 shot less of insulin could be from cutting all carbonated beverages out of my diet (cutting out aspartame), or exercising more, or doing a colon cleanse. But every little bit helps.

#22 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body. Human beings were not meant to have metal in their mouths. The ADA, during a congressional hearing on if amalgam fillings are 100% safe, admitted, “mercury fillings are toxic before they go into the mouth and toxic after they come out”
But for the most part, I’d say your husband’s advice is spot-on. There’s many other things one can do to improve their health. The only immediate benefit to replacing the fillings is the aesthetic effect- the replacement fillings actually look like real teeth. Personally, I am extremely taking a pro-active stance on my health; I have done many things to improve it. I can’t honestly claim I had any significant improvement in my health just from removing my amalgam fillings. My taking 1 shot less of insulin could be from cutting all carbonated beverages out of my diet (cutting out aspartame), or exercising more, or doing a colon cleanse. But every little bit helps.

My big problem is, that I am in very poor health. The gluten-free diet (and cutting out a lot of other foods, too) has helped in getting rid of fibromyalgia pain and my diarrhea and terrible gas. But other than that my health is still getting worse.

I've had a hair analysis done ten days ago (don't have results yet). That is the first step in finding out what is still making me ill (actually, the first step was a parasite cleanse, and I had thousands of parasites come out, without feeling better).

So, the mercury fillings could be a huge problem for me, because I am extremely sensitive to lots of things.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 solo

solo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

My big problem is, that I am in very poor health. The gluten-free diet (and cutting out a lot of other foods, too) has helped in getting rid of fibromyalgia pain and my diarrhea and terrible gas. But other than that my health is still getting worse.

I've had a hair analysis done ten days ago (don't have results yet). That is the first step in finding out what is still making me ill (actually, the first step was a parasite cleanse, and I had thousands of parasites come out, without feeling better).

So, the mercury fillings could be a huge problem for me, because I am extremely sensitive to lots of things.

Well in that case I would definitly consider the amalgam removal. Remember the old saying, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. What you have in your mouth can be poisining you and be the catalyst for your bad health. But it's a persal desicion so you have to make the final verdict. But let me be fair here and present the negative aspects. First and foremost the dinero- I beleive it cost me around $1,300 to get them all replaced, and it's even more if you go to a holistic dentist. I went to a biological dentist to inquire on the protocall, and I found out that getting them replaced by a holistic dentist is like committing to buy a new car. But then a biological dentist will take every precaution to not expose you to that mercury gas that will increase upon removal, so again you must decide. Another negative is I personally have experienced some slight sensitivity with composite fillings- but it can be solvented by using sensitive toothpaste. Again, your call.

#24 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

The mercury in those fillings oozes out of them and is absorbed by your body.

This is true...and that mercury which has been absorbed actually remains where it is for a VERY long time. Mercury is abosorbed very easily...its readily taken up into the CNS and into cells....however, it does not leave quite so easily.

Removing the fillings is only the first step when trying to rid the body of mercury which may be causing health problems. The first step is to remove the source of exposure....but after that you have to address the toxic load you may already be carrying around after having been exposed to mercury vapor for several years...or decades.

Alot of people are removing their fillings once they are already sick and hoping to "get better" that way. It doesnt usually work that way because they are leaving all of that mercury in their body and the problems dont resolve while the body remains toxic.

If mercury left the body so easily it wouldnt be causing so many health problems. Unfortunately, once its in the brain and in the CNS...it has a half life of about 30 years. So...its really not going anywhere on its own.

In my opinion, had you never had the fillings in the first place you may not have ever required ANY daily shots.

He believes the dentist he goes to, who claims that amalgams are perfectly safe, because the mercury is bound to other materials.

Ursa, even the ADA acknowledges (after years of denial) that the fillings leak mercury. The formula used in the fillings was changed in the early 70's and since then have leaked even higher amounts of mercury vapor.

Maybe have your husband watch this video.

He will actually *see* the mercury vapor coming off an amalgam filling. This is not in question...the fillings DO leak and they leak higher amounts everytime we chew, smoke or drink a hot liquid.
Rachel

#25 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Rachel, I'm curious what you mean by the ADA changing its position. When I checked the ADA website's response to the recent FDA changes, they were stubbornly standing by their previous position that the amalgams are safe.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#26 solo

solo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

In my opinion, had you never had the fillings in the first place you may not have ever required ANY daily shots.

That's the exact conclusion that I came to. I had my first few mercury fillings when I was around 10. I was only diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes around 16 or so. Of course, my CF doctors told me that diabetes was a result of the mucos in my body blocking the pancreases secretion of insulin. They even have a special term for it: CFRD. That's their protocall response. It would be shameful not to mention embarressing for them to admit that something condoned by the government is responsible for an illness.

#27 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Rachel, I'm curious what you mean by the ADA changing its position. When I checked the ADA website's response to the recent FDA changes, they were stubbornly standing by their previous position that the amalgams are safe.

Carla, I didnt say anything about the ADA changing their stance. :huh:
As far as I know they havent changed anything...and I dont see that coming any time in the near future.
Rachel

#28 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

It would be shameful not to mention embarressing for them to admit that something condoned by the government is responsible for an illness.

Exactly. Its unfortunate but oh so true....and I feel the same way about the Graves Disease that I aquired a few years before I totally lost my health.
Rachel

#29 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Ursa, even the ADA acknowledges (after years of denial) that the fillings leak mercury. The formula used in the fillings was changed in the early 70's and since then have leaked even higher amounts of mercury vapor.

Carla, I didnt say anything about the ADA changing their stance. :huh:
As far as I know they havent changed anything...and I dont see that coming any time in the near future.

So you must have meant the FDA here. :)
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#30 KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

Rachel
I have a few mercury fillings that I want to get removed. If I was going to just have those teeth completely pulled out, which sound bad but there in the back so I really don't care at this point. Would it be necessary to take all the precautions? Or would that pretty much be the same as any other way. Just curious because I really want them out of my mouth.
Thanks
Krista
Gluten Free since Apr 14-08
Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)
Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.
May-08.... Appendicitis
July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease
Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: