5 replies to this topic

#1 WendyG

WendyG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

I am a celiac and my daughter just tested positive.
What is the feeling on getting her scoped or just getting her on the diet.
Do you need to be scoped to get the diagnosis of Celiac?
thanks for you help.
w

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rondar2001

Rondar2001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

I would say definitely have her scoped. My 7 year old had her biopsy and it was a piece of cake. She was put under for less than a half an hour and we were at the hospital for less than 4 hours.

I think by her having a definite confirmed diagnosis it will help her as she gets older in being more compliant with the diet (at least I hope so anyways).
DD diagnosed Celiac by biopsy May 2008 at 7 years old.
DD diagnosed with Asthma November 2009 at 8 years old.

#3 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

I would do the scope. It might catch something you weren't aware of. When my 8-year-old son has his scope in March his GI said his esophagus was damaged and put him on Pepcid for reflux. He also said it looked like my son had hives on his esophugus (from his food allergies). We would have never known this if we wouldn't have done the scope. Good luck!
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#4 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:47 AM

I am all for the scope. Your child may be more than a bit nervous about the scope see if she can talk t other kids who have had a scope done. It is quick and painless. The scope can be used to rule out other problems your child may be having. Most importantly the biospy is not something that the school or your child can deny. This disease can be depressing at times and I can see arguing with my parents as a teenager about whether or not I actually had the disease if they did not have the biopsy proof. (I was diagnosed as an adult.) Even with a biopsy disgnosis, I have had my family question the need to be 100% gluten-free all of the time.

#5 WendyG

WendyG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

I want to thank you all for such great advice....We have decided to have the endoscopy done.
My sweetie is a real trouper and isn't putting up a fuss.
You have all made such great point! I am glad I asked and I love to have someone to ask!!!
Thanks,
w

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

I just hope that the scope is scheduled to be done really soon, as otherwise your daughter will get sicker as she has to eat gluten until the scope can be done.

If you have to wait more than two weeks, personally, I would skip the scope and put the child on the diet. A positive blood test and a mother who has celiac disease (and therefore the same genes) would be enough for me. The gluten-free diet itself is diagnostic too, if she has a positive response to it.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: