This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Packing Gluten-free Lunches Wearing Me Down

dbmamaz

dbmamaz Explorer

I finally had my son tested by A.L.C.A.T, after celiac and blood draw allergy tests were both negative. He reacted strongly to gliadin (but not gluten), and after taking him off gluten, the D finally went away.

BUt - he's in middle school. I'm making chebe rolls for lunch sandwhiches, white cake from the back of the tapioca box for lunch desserts, and homemade cereal bars for snacks. If i bake a double-batch of chebe, it lasts almost a week. The lunch desserts, slightly longer than a week. The cereal bars (which maybe i should double) last a few days.

Now, he reacted strongly to garbanzo, and and mildly to rice, and also seems to be lactose intolerant. He also never liked sliced bread. I'm trying to avoid subbing everything with rice, esp since we eat rice for dinner several times a week (well, not me, tho). So thats part of why i'm not buying every pre-made or from mixes. But also, since i have such extensive allergies, and my youngest react to dyes, prepackaged foods or store bought foods are often simply not an option.

So, i'm cooking constantly. Every single meal is 100% from scratch - home made bread crumbs, home made fish sticks and chicken nuggets, home made taco seasoning mix. I give the family canned spag sauce but I cant eat it and neither can my middle one.

I'm exhausted! Taking care of a family of 5, not even working, but the 4 yo is at home and needs some attention, the dog (who's 13) needs to be walked frequently due to kidney problems, the 12 yo is in specail ed due to emotional issues and the 15 yo is constantly mad at me and i'm trying to get her an alternative placement because she barely passed her classes this year . . .and i'm cooking CONSTANTLY . . not to mention the dishes . . .and even the shopping . . .

I said something to my husband about theres got to be a better way . . .then I said when the younger one starts kindergarten, at least i'll have more time to do the dishes, which is currently his chore. He said, but thats just pushing more of the problem on you.

Am I missing something here? I mean, i've been off gluten for 6 mo and off all my allergens for about 2 or 3 months, which helps my energy, but i'm dropping weight because its hard to find things to eat (or time to prep the things i can eat), so that might contribute, and we are all a bit adhd (cept hubby) . . . but is there any way to make this easier?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I find that it gets easier with time. Despite our multiple allergies, I find I *can* buy some pre-made things. So when I have to pack a lunch in a hurry, I can grab some of those things and come up with a lunch. For instance, a single serve packet of Shelton's turkey sticks, salami or lunch meat, an apple, fruit snacks or canned pears, bag of baby carrots, and a single serve packet of potato chips or Fritos.

Tonight I made soup in the crockpot for dinner. Chicken with vegetables and Quinoa macaroni. I put all but the macaroni in there this morning and let it cook all day. Then just before my daughter got home from school I cooked the macaroni and put it in there.

My daughter and I share some allergies, but she has additional ones. For the most part we just eat the same things. I am not allergic to wheat/gluten, so I do buy regular bread for myself. I use a separate toaster and keep the bread far away from hers.

Jestgar Rising Star

Just general suggestions.

Can the hubby take all the kids for one weekend day so you can have a marathon cooking event and fill the freezer with pre-proportioned foods (for lunches or dinner or snacks).

Can you buy frozen veggies and meats that require no prep by you, other than thawing?

Institute 'paper nights' where everyone uses disposable plates (and plasticware, if you need to go that far for a break).

Make chebe fillers and freeze them. Wrap the dough around some cooked meat and freeze the whole thing. Then pull some out and pop them in the toaster oven a day or two ahead of lunches.

sicl4015 Rookie

I can certainly identify with your situation.

One way I save time is with what I call "fast food".

I cook a huge batch of a favorite dish, divide it into single, or family servings, as appropriate, and freeze.

It gives me time off from cooking everything for every meal from scratch.

There are times I dream of a big walk-in freezer...

but then, I'd have to organize its contents or I would never know what was in it! LOL

The other big time saver is the prewashed greens.

The best price I found is at Costco for organic.

dollamasgetceliac? Explorer

I know this may complicate things but maybe you would like to try researching the ADHD issue. I had trouble with that and found out that this Doctor Feingold had asked parents to change the diet of their children with Asthma, turns out that the mothers reported that the Asthma, hives, Learning Disabilities you name it vanished the diet iliminated all foods with Salicic acid and other stuff the Feingold Asosition " I do not want the lame advertisment to pop up so I mispel the last word) they have a website you do have to be a member ( Dr. Feingold died i think in 1980, he was from San Francisco) A very intelegent Doctor who got all these kids off of the meds. After 6 weeks you reintroduce 1 item you will know...

About the dishes I try to rinse as I go I have a Dish Drainer right above my faucet that cuts down 50% and then if you really need a break is it o.k to use paper plates? I worry about that chemical leaching in the food I use glass plates, I worry about Lead. I think if you just cook every other day can you use frozen veggies? alternate that and I just get baby ( junior food) for fruit, it is gluten-free and unfourtunately not Feingold , I just eat a lot of frozen berries, they are loaded with good stuf.

The rice you can flavor it with spices I used to have a cook book that was just about Rice and there were recepies from all over the world. So if you get a Sushi Rice ; flavor it with white vinigar and I do not know if you are willing to put a little sugar in their you have a Japaneese Dish with the other half you season with Safron and Cardemom and you have a middle eastern dish.

I think that trying to do it all is not good , you have to take care of your self, lots of rest and maybe take out sometime for yourself, because it might all come crashing down on you, it takes time to heal your gut. I heard that any food that is yellow or orange like sweet potato ( that is not night shade is it? ) are healing to the gut , so is Cumin, Cardemom , Curry and Turmeric. These have been around for ever in countries in the middle and far east.

One thing I know for sure that most of us are always under stress, there is an expectation of us that you must heal in 6 months? Then you read and some patients take years. So I am in the same boat it is exhausting to do all the research about food allergies etc... The thing is that our lives would be alot easier if the labels were clear

ShayFl started a thread about labeling and I am hoping that that takes off because I am sick and tired of shopping, calling manufacturers and asking them ( what is in your natural flavouring? is this made in a facility that shares with shell fish?) you know that Garbanzo beans are related to peanuts and that if you ate them canned it could be made in a facility that shares with shell fish.

There was a women who suffered for years from Migraines , when she stopped eating canned food it went away!

Another tip the slow coocker is a God sent, you can brown up some Chichen, throw in some onions and pour the whole shebang in with boiling water or broth and 4 hours later you have a meal, throw that on wild rice ( cooks quicker). I used to love cooking but now it is a chore , but you are not alone we are all cooking together.

Another thing if something sticks to a pan I soak it in Baking soda ( that is gluten Free right?????) any way the next day or even after a few hours it lifts up everything.

My Grandma had a very small kitchen coocked everything from scratch her system was great because she had the same on monday then onother dish on Tueday which included someleftover from the Day before and then Wednesday was say Pancakes ( You can top them with anything, you can cook them with any thing you are alowed to have , you prepare the batter and the Family rotates turns in making their own pancake, so now you are not having to be a short order cook). In Spain, and middle east and China they are famouse for their Tapas that is the Spanish word for it basically you have a variety of tiny dishes with say olives, carrots , I don't know it could be anything , the family can pick what they like , when every one is done it goes back in the fridge. ( snacks for the next day ( Lunch).

Well it is easy to tell you what I used to do but when you are sick it would really help maybe to ask, every one to pitch in untill you are better. And please look at Shays thread and add to it who knows maybe the food industry will get ther heads out of the Gluten and smell the Coffee! :)

Bon Apetite

Jestgar Rising Star

Scrambled eggs for dinner?

I have a friend who makes "crud toast" Leftovers piled on bread that's getting old and stuck in the oven. Top with cheese, or leftover 'sgetti' sauce or just cook the leftovers in some sauce so everything is a bit moist.

My mom used to make "stuffies", leftovers wrapped in dough and baked. (same idea as crud toast, but mom never had leftover bread - 7 kids)

chili/soup/stew anything you can throw in a pot and ignore for long periods of time.

kbtoyssni Contributor

What about asking your middle schooler to help you bake bread and make other things he takes for lunch? Does he also pack his own lunch in the morning or night before or do you do that? You could maybe ask him to start helping. When I was growing up my dad would make my sandwich, but the rest of the lunch was up to me.

Does he have access to a microwave at school? Sometimes warm lunches are easier - you can whip up a huge batch of chili for him to take. Or have him take it in a thermos. What about easy things you don't have to do much prep on like hot dogs in boiling water in a thermos? If he does have microwave access maybe send him with a potato to bake with salsa to put on top. Or those thai kitchen ramen noodle things are great when you really don't have anything else to send.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

My daughter is 12 and she makes her own breakfast and packs her own lunch. That really helps me. I work from home, but it is full-time hours. I try to make a lunch that will make for leftovers for dinner. OR I make huge dinners so I have leftovers for lunch. Leftovers are my best friend. :) I buy these turkey breasts and roast them, so everyone can have leftover meat to pack their lunch the next day. I keep lots of veggies and fruit on hand for them to pack. Plantain chips and corn chips for my daughter. We can eat nuts and seeds and this helps. I do cook a lot and cleaning too!!! I also make my own almond milk, bake, etc. It is a lot, but over time I have found shortcuts.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Just my opinion but I notice that children today do not have enough chores. I think they need to do chores so they can contribute to the family & have pride in a job well done. I would delegate, delegate, delegate & teach each child a specialty meal that they can cook. Meal time is family time & no one leaves the kitchen till the kitchen is clean & lunches are packed!! On weekend evenings - no game time, movies, or play time till kitchen chores are done.

some easy meals - taco night - all kinds of toppings, I use shredded chicken...

homemade enchiladas - hormel chili WITH beans is gluten-free, use white corn tortillas & add some chopped onions & shredded chicken to fill - dip tortilla in hot chili to soften, fill, roll, place in baking dish - pour rest of chili on top, if you can have cheese put on some cheese - I have gotten used to eating it with no cheese. This can be made a day ahead & then baked in the oven.

baked potato night - white or sweet ones - add chopped meat - tuna, chopped broccoli, whatever - fresh fruit for dessert

Make a huge pot of homemade soup but do no use potatoes - freeze in individual portions in glass pyrex bowls with plastic lids - these can go from the freezer to microwave - just take off the plastic lid & cover with a glass plate.

keep a roll of masking tape & a sharpie in the kitchen drawer to label all foods put in the freezer.

on a cooking Saturday when you are making soup etc, bake a turkey or two, you can debone & chop the meat & then freeze - for taco night, enchiladas, turkey salad, meat to top a green salad, topping for baked potatoes, topping for homemade baked beans. Maybe make the turkeys first - then use the carcasses as the soup base...

does anyone like cookies? Teach them to make them - brag on them a lot & let them be the official cookie baker.

& yep, the ADHD will get better on a gluten-free/dairy free diet...

line up 10 disposable containers & fill with the dry ingredients for your chebe bread. Masking tape on lid - write in wet ingredients to add, & bake time/temp Empty out one & put it in the bottom of the stack - no need to wash - then refill when all are empty.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Just general suggestions.

Can the hubby take all the kids for one weekend day so you can have a marathon cooking event and fill the freezer with pre-proportioned foods (for lunches or dinner or snacks).

This is a great way to get things done. I usually do most of my cooking (especially baking breads, pancakes and muffins to freeze and use throughout the week). It helps to have a couple things going at the same time to get more done, such as crock pot, oven, stovetop...

One way I save time is with what I call "fast food".

I cook a huge batch of a favorite dish, divide it into single, or family servings, as appropriate, and freeze.

It gives me time off from cooking everything for every meal from scratch.

I definitely agree with this one! I'm only cooking for two, but still, with a busy schedule, we need our "TV dinners" as I call them! My faves are:

soups (taco, chicken/rice, hamburger (minus potatoes))

enchiladas/enchilada casserole

meatballs

even just meat - cooked roast, hamburger (sometimes flavored "mexican" or "italian"), chicken

There are times I dream of a big walk-in freezer...

ROFL!!!

Also, others have said this, but I am falling in love with my crockpot. It is so handy! Here's a great blog that I check weekly for recipes, and some laughs as well: crockpot365.blogspot.com

dbmamaz Explorer

Thanks for all the responses.

I think Juliebove is right, it will get easier with time, as I develop a routine. I have been on this major allergy elimination diet for only about 2 mo and my foods are still extremely limited, and loosening that will help a lot. Furthermore, my son has only been off gluten about 3 weeks, so this has been a big adjustment. School is almost out for the summer, so maybe I can come up w a better plan over the summer - plus whole foods will be opening near me, giving me more options.

I do relate to Sue's dream of a freezer - my fridge died the day before thanksgiving and I needed a rush fridge, and the space was so tight the guy at lowes recomended I buy a smaller one, becuase if the big one didnt fit, I would have no fridge for thanksgiving weekend. So . . i have a family of 5 and a very small side-by-side, which leaves me very limited freezer space. I do make meatballs ahead of time and freeze them, but I have to come up w gluten-free crumbs that everyone likes. But large meals or lots of small meals . . . would be a struggle. I usually have some meat in the freezer (raw), bagels and bread for the gluten-eaters, rolls and desserts for my son's lunch, frozen veggies (staples), and coffee . .. and its pretty full.

My main use for my crock pot right now is making broth. I do buy small turkeys or large turkey breasts to roast, almost weekly, and we often have a big pot of soup 2 days later, which everyone loves. Chili is impossible - i'm off peppers and garlic, my son is off tomatos, and my 4 yo would rather eat crumbs off the floor. Overall, my limited diet is the hardest - I reacted strongly to rice. The only meats on my safe list right now are turkey and lamb. I thought about making lamb stew, but most things with sauce or gravy make my husband sick, so roast seems to work better. My husband doesnt want any testing, but eggs make him sick and he wont eat beans, so thats another limit. And not only am I allergic to wheat and rice and tapioca, but also to yeast, so there is no bread in my diet at all.

I do admit my kids arent doing enough around the house - but my adhd is really more mild autism, and although i do feel clearer off gluten, I'll never be able to be as organized as most of you. My middle son, while he can be sweet and helpful, is also specail needs. we have to constantly check his checklist to make sure he does things like brush his teeth and take his pills, and he's 12. My oldest (girl) has been so b%$@#y i just give her a wide berth - but she does do her own lunches and laundry. and the 4 yo is the spoiled baby lol. I'll try to work on getting some better systems w them too over the summer, if i can.

thanks again for all the responses, I guess I just have to keep looking for ways to make it work better for us.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

In my household we have a sandwich making station outside of the kitchen. It includes an apartment size refrigerator (I think it is about 15 cubic feet). In addition to keeping the gluten out of the kitchen one of the side benefits is extra refrigerator and freezer space. If you can find room having two refrigerators may help you. The station also has a large kitchen cart with cabinets and a small microwave.

jparsick84 Rookie
In my household we have a sandwich making station outside of the kitchen. It includes an apartment size refrigerator (I think it is about 15 cubic feet). In addition to keeping the gluten out of the kitchen one of the side benefits is extra refrigerator and freezer space. If you can find room having two refrigerators may help you. The station also has a large kitchen cart with cabinets and a small microwave.

This is SUCH a great idea!

Ridgewalker Contributor

The biggest time saver I've found is to make up mixes ahead of time, and I keep them in labeled ziploc bags. I usually have sandwich bread, corn bread, chocolate cupcake, and pizza crust mixes ready to go at all times. I usually make these mixes on Sundays.

This doesn't take a lot of keeping up with or organization. Just make your mixes on Sundays. Do that one thing and when that's a habit, maybe you can add in something else.

Don't try to completely reorganize all at once. That's not easy for anybody! (((Hugs)))

A&Z'S MOM Apprentice

Hi

I can totally relate with your circumstances.My kids are Gluten-free Casein-free,and everything processed is definitely a non-no.But frozen veggies and fresh fruits plus some nuts can really help.So does making some muffins,which keep well in the refrigerator for a few days.I make all kinds,banana muffins and almond muffins,which are not really that hard to rustle up and make packing lunches even breakfasts easier.I am still looking for a wrap though which would hold some stuffing for lunch.I have limited choices here where I live.Brown flour and rice flour.But it does get easier.You should be eating well too, to keep your energy levels high.I keep raisins or dates on hands for refuelling.I know it can be tough but the significant difference it makes in our kids lives keeps me going :rolleyes: .My prayers and thoughts r with you...

[disposables is not a bad idea ,if used only when your really cornered]

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I just taught my support group how to make spring rolls & everyone loved them & I heard back that several had already made them. Just wrap whatever filling in a round rice paper wrapper that you have dipped briefly in a bowl of water - lay out on a cotton dish cloth - place filling on on "side" using both hands tuck in filling & wrap over top, tuck in ends & finish the roll. That is all there is to it.

The secret is to put in a tupperware container & refrigerate overnight. The texture of the rice paper becomes a nice chewy feel, instead of a slimy rice paper feel. So then even kids will love them.

here is one of my favorite fillings:

kale - strip out the center vein - you can use lettuce or cabbage...

bolied shrimp & or chicken

carrot strips

bean sprouts - or you can use rice vermicelli - those little noodles that puff in hot water...

jicama cut into matchstick size

sliced green onions - or diced red onion

chopped fresh mint from the herb bed

chopped cilantro

I encourage you to e venturesome & use the kale, it is very good for you & you really cannot taste the kale - it melds with the other flavors - be sure to use some mint & the cilantro the combination is very tasty!!

Of course there is the dipping sauce. A gillion recipes on line or use your favorite salad dressing, or you can buy the Thai sweet chili sauce - that stuff has sugar, but hey it is good!!!

I love these for lunches & to travel with - very portable & delicious at the same time.

You could use anything for the filling & teach the kids to make their own!!!!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Where to buy the gluten-free rice paper????

Ridgewalker Contributor
Where to buy the gluten-free rice paper????

Asian grocery stores. If you have one anywhere near you, that is. Trying to buy them online will cost you an arm and a leg, and then shipping costs on top of that. At my Asian grocery, they're 1.19 a pack. They have rice based ones and tapioca based ones.

missy'smom Collaborator

We've been making spring rolls too. We use boiled shrimp and chicken, leaf lettuce, rice vermicelli and mint fresh from the garden. For the sauce, we've been using The Ginger People brand sweet ginger chili sauce.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

I just love the crock pot recipes. We have multiple allergies (shellfish, eggs, and nuts). I only cook one meal so dh and ds1 have to eat Gluten-free.

Chili

Soup (I have a great recipe for borscht- good veggies)

I just made up a recipe for Gluten-free chicken casserole and tuna casserole.

Beans and rice

Pancakes for dinner (found recipe on allrecipes)

Hopefully that helps!

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Here in Texas we can also get the rice paper wrappers at the regular grocery like HEB, & Kroger - just look in the Asian section - my favorite one has a red rose on the front of the container - that is round!! :)

I think you will like them. It sounds like it is just a salad with meat - but when rolled up & refrigerated overnight they have a completely different taste than a salad.

• 2 weeks later...
Carollynb Newbie

I can sympathize with your situation. I say before you end up freaking out on your family, you need to take some time for yourself. I know it's easier said than done but even if you steal away 20-30 minutes of alone time to read a book, take a nap, or soak in a tub; DO IT. (Be sure to wera headphones so you don't hear them calling for you.) Your hubby can and should be able to handle things for that long without you. With all that you do all day, every day, you MUST do it for yourself; otherwise, you'll do no good for your family.

I and my husband work full-time and have to send our 3 y/o son to daycare. I have a pre-printed menu for the month from his school that stays posted in the kitchen at all times. I to, make the meals for our family and have to be very careful due to son's food allergies (eggs, wheat, nuts). I try to make extra at every meal or will get up extra early to prepare a meal for that day. It was difficult for a while to have a variety and my son's meals consisted of chicken or hamburger with fruit and vegetables. He couldn't have pizza, chicken nuggets, or fist sticks, some of the common foods for young ones. He had never had any kind of sandwhich and had no idea what macaroni and cheese was. For a long time he could only eat sausage and cereal for breakfast.

During the last 12 months I've discovered some great products for people with food allergies, some even premade:

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix

Bob's Red gluten-free Bread Mix >>>>> These mixes are made with bean and potato flours plus tapioca.

Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix

www.bobsredmill.com

Ian's Frozen Fish Sticks

Ian's Frozen Chicken Nuggets >>>>> These are wheat, gluten, casein, milk, egg, nut, and soy free!!!

Ian's Frozen Mini Corndogs Expensive, but worth every penny!!

www.iansnaturalfoods.com

Van's All Natural Mini Waffles >>>>> Gluten, wheat, egg, and dairy free, vegan

>>>>> Can be lightly toasted and topped with wheat free sauce

plus meat for a really quick pizza!

www.vanswaffles.com

Barabra's Bakery Organic Breakfast O's >>>>> Wheat, gluten, dairy free, vegan, kosher

Barbara's Bakery Organic Apple Cinnamon O's

Enjoy Life Soft Baked Cookies (all varieties) >>> Anything made by this company is wheat, dairy, nut, egg, soy,

fish, and shellfish free!

Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (I'll add these into pancakes sometimes and serve them as snacks during the day.)

www.enjoylifefoods.com

Whole Foods (store) Gluten Free Pizza Crust (2 per pack) >>> Topped with wheat free sauce and ground beef is a hit

with kids!

SunGold Natural Sunbutter >>>>> Gluten and nut free!!

www.sunbutter.com

Ener-G Egg Replacer >>>>> Gluten, wheat, nut, sugar, and dairy free.

www.ener-g.com

Annie's Organic gluten-free Macaroni and Cheese >>>>> No box currently in house but know it's wheat, egg, gluten, nut free.

Be careful, Annie's has a huge variety of organic but not many gluten-free!

We invested in a Breadman Ultimate Plus bread machine because all the store bought gluten-free breads either contained eggs or tasted awful. I don't know how I ever lived without it! It has numerous settings for a wide variety of breads, including pizza dough and bagels but I only use it to make perfect loaves of gluten free bread for our son. It has a specific setting for gluten-free bread. All I have to do is mix the wet ingredients in the loaf pan, pour in the flour, then top with the packet of yeast. It mixes in the machine, rises, then bakes. It doesn't get ANY easier, I promise.

I hope this list has helped a bit. It surely has simplified mine. Some of the stores I shop at didn't carry some of these items initially, but after speaking with a manager and requesting they carry them, I can now shop more easily, especially since sometimes a store will sell out of an item.

Good luck and God Bless!

Archived