12 replies to this topic

#1 Wakeboarder

Wakeboarder

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I'm looking to buy some sweet & sour sauce. I really want some Chinese food and I'm going to try making my own, but I drench everything in sweet & sour sacue. I never bought any before-I always went out to eat for Chinese-so I have no idea if it typically contains gluten or not. What are some companies/brands that make gluten free sweet & sour sauce?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

I buy lachoy and kraft sweet and sour sauce.

#3 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

You could also try to make your own, not so hard. Get a jar of gluten-free jelly that you like and add vinegar. you can alter the taste with more sugar and vinegar or even chop up a pineapple in it. If you have a juicer, you can juice your own pineapple, add vinegar and sugar and thinken with corn or potato starch.
it's worth the time to get a much better taste without the chemicals and it will keep in the fridge for sometime.
ken

I'm looking to buy some sweet & sour sauce. I really want some Chinese food and I'm going to try making my own, but I drench everything in sweet & sour sacue. I never bought any before-I always went out to eat for Chinese-so I have no idea if it typically contains gluten or not. What are some companies/brands that make gluten free sweet & sour sauce?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 SacGFGirl

SacGFGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

I have a home based business where one of the products I make is essentially a sweet and sour sauce with a kick. Check out my profile for my website.
Sacramento, CA

Rheumatoid Arthritis since 1986
Gluten Free since 2005

#5 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

I have a recipe for homemade if you want it. I double or triple it and make sweet and sour chicken...yummy!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#6 elizhannah

elizhannah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I would love to get that recipe i know this is old thread. But I'm new at this and Chinese is my favorite food and I'm having withdraws. lol I tried fried shrimp with coconut milk and pineapple. Well I tried to copy what a local restaurant does Its the best when they do it. And the only thing that tasted good was the shrimp. Do you know where I can find more. Thanks

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Is there a P.F. Chang's restaurant in your area? They do gluten-free Chinese food.

#8 elizhannah

elizhannah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

I just found them in Fresno, Ca. I'm going next week. Very excited about it. The bad part is there 1 1/2 hours away. so I wont be going too often. So, I'm back to my original problem, my cravings of Chinese foods. I think if could find a good sweet and sour sauce and teriaki sauce I would be ok. :D

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

From my Chinese cookbook:

Sweet and sour sauce
1 cup water
1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. tomato paste
4 tsp. cornstarch.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

One note - it's best to make the cornstarch into a smooth paste with a tbsp or two of the water before you add it to the rest of the ingredients or it will clump.

Teriyaki is Japanese and I don't happen to have a Japanese cookbook around the house. You might try this one. http://japanesefood....yakichicken.htm

#10 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

San-J makes a line of gluten free asian sauces. I think sweet and sour is one of them. I get them at my small town grocery store so you should be able to find them just about anywhere.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#11 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

San-J is sooo good! It's become a staple around here. Some of them are no marked gluten-free though so be carefulk.

#12 elizhannah

elizhannah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

Thank you I'm going to try them all. :)

#13 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

Oh gosh thanks! I tried your recipe tonight and it is excellent. Love love love it.

From my Chinese cookbook:

Sweet and sour sauce
1 cup water
1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. tomato paste
4 tsp. cornstarch.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

One note - it's best to make the cornstarch into a smooth paste with a tbsp or two of the water before you add it to the rest of the ingredients or it will clump.

Teriyaki is Japanese and I don't happen to have a Japanese cookbook around the house. You might try this one. http://japanesefood....yakichicken.htm

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: