This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Celiac's I'm A Newbie

theo1212

theo1212 Newbie

I'm new to this and I don't know where to turn so I found this site. I have been having gastro intestinal problems since November of 07. This came about shortly after I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. It is an auto immune disease of the thyroid.

Well after going to my Gastro Doc he recommended that I have a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy which I did. No tumors or pollups. There was however, inflammation in the small intestine and colon. They took bi-opsies of small intestine, colon and stomach and showed inflammation. Every time I eat I feel horrible shortly after. Terrible pains in the lower righ quadrant that sometimes radiate around my back where your kidneys are. I also have terrible fatigue and muscle cramps and joint pain.

I went to the doctors yesterday for blood tests for Celiac Sprue but won't know for a few days if that is what it is. I just can't believe that eating gluten can make you feel that awful. I haven't been the same since this all started. I can't work feeling like this. It's almost unbearable at times. Just feels like my guts are rotting from the inside out. I also had a CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvis and they said everything looked fine there.

I'm just asking you guys to see if you think that this could be Celiac's seeing all the tests I have had done and that it is an auto immune disorder just like my thyroid problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yes it can. And many celiacs also have auto-immune thyroid issues. Hang tight and we are here to help.

pele Rookie

Gluten could be your problem. Please be aware that blood testing is NOT always right. False negatives are very, very common. And many people are gluten-intolerant but do not have Celiac Disease, therefore do not test positive on blood tests. You may want to go on a strict gluten-free diet to see if you feel better. You may notice a difference right away.

Did your doctor biopsy your small intestine during the endoscopy to look for damage to the villi?

Archived