8 replies to this topic

#1 curlyfries

curlyfries

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

Does anyone ever get the feeling on their skin like they have a bad burn? I have gotten them for years and always thought they were a symptom of fibromyalgia. It's usually on a small spot on my arm and goes away after a day...a mild annoyance. This time it started on the inside of my upper arm.The next day it changed to my upper thigh, and now this is day 2 for my thigh. It is so painful it hurts to touch it at all, and today the area is larger and I occassionally get a sharp stabbing pain. There is nothing there to see. What gives? I don't think it's a gluten thing, as I don't have any of my usual symptoms and I have been very diligent about what I eat.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Do you take any supplements? Specifically, do you take magnesium, B12, or zinc? A deficiency in B12 is my best guess, but the others might also be worth taking. Make sure it is a sublingual methylcobalamin, NOT cyanocobalamin. Take a minimum of 3mg per day. There is no known level of overdose, and studies suggest that the body can't assimilate more than about 5-6mg in one day.

The only other condition I can think of is Morgellan's Syndrome, which is still a medical mystery. However, it doesn't sound enough like that for me to think it is what you're experiencing. This condition is more like a needle type pain (like one or more pins stuck in the skin) and/or scrawling sensations, usually accompanied by tiny hair-like threads protruding from the skin.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

No, I'm not on any supplements yet, just a high-dose multivitamin. I've been planning to add suplements, but there is no money at this time.

Thanks for your help!
~~Lisa~~

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

Lisa,

I used to get something similar before I was diagnosed--but it was always on my face. I would feel like my skin was on fire from the inside out--you couldn't tell by looking at me, and my face felt hot to the touch.

Not sure if that's any help, but I thought I'd mention it :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

I had that on my face before going off gluten (it came back a couple of times for a day, but I could never figure out why). I also had something similar on my shoulder immediately following a bout of shingles. That one was nerve damage from the shingles, called "post-herpetic neuralgia." It gradually decreased in frequency, until it disappeared after a couple of years.

#6 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

I've never had shingles and I've never had this feeling on my face. It was painful just to touch it---just like a bad sunburn. And I've never had the stabbing pains before. In the past it was always in an area about the size of a silver dollar. This one was about 3 inches wide and went from inner thigh to outer thigh. It finally faded away this evening.
~~Lisa~~

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

I used to have this problem quite frequuently but not so much after I did a major overhaul on my diet 3 years ago.

The stabbing pain is pretty much a thing of the past and the "sunburn" feeling is a "once in awhile" thing now. I'm not sure exactly what causes it...but I *think* one of the triggers for me is MSG...or "free glutamates". No doubt there are other things causing it as well but its definately food/toxin related in my case.
Rachel

#8 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

This is similar to what I get or used to get from lyme. Hope that is not what you have.

Sherry
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

Is a cellulitis infection a possibility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: