This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What About My Son?

Emilysmomma

Emilysmomma Rookie

Should I be concerned about him, since my daughter was just diagnosed with Celiacs? The only sign he shows is he's skinny, and has a hard time gaining weight - other than that, he doesn't have bowel issues or stomach problems. He is 11 years old. I'm just wondering if we should all be tested for it. Our dinners will all be Gluton free because I don't want my daughter eating something different from us - I will make her pizza seperate from ours with gluton free crust from the store, and spaghetti, I will get the gluton free pasta.

I just started wondering if my son should be tested as well?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

My daughter appears extremely healthy. Growing normally for her age. No major illnesses. No stomach problems or D (I have asked). Only 1 round of antibiotics in 12 years for an absessed tooth. Rarely gets a cold. Happy and healthy. So I am not testing her. But she knows that I have the genes. I told her that she doesnt need to be tested right now, but if she ever starts having health problems, it is the first thing she should check out. She accepts this. She is mostly gluten-free because my house is 100% gluten-free. Then now and again she gets gluten at a friends. No bad reactions.

If your son is old enough to understand, just talk to him. You can also casually ask him if he has tummy issues or D. At that age, he might not just tell you he has loose poop. That would be like.....sooooo embarrassing Mom. ;)

bbuster Explorer

I think it would be prudent to test the whole family. My son was diagnosed with Celiac at age 10. He never had any GI symptoms. The reason I had him tested was that he was so short. His TTg bloodwork was positive, so we followed up and had an endoscopy, and that showed damage as well.

Now he has had negative bloodwork for 3 years, and it turns out the short stature was caused by something else.

So the point is, some people can have silent symptoms.

My husband, daughter, and myself all tested negative. But knowing that Celiac can develop at any stage of life, I would do future testing if any of us started showing symptoms.

Ursa Major Collaborator

With his sister having celiac disease being too skinny should prompt you to have him tested also. Plus it is recommended that the whole family and all close relatives get tested anyway after somebody tests positive for celiac disease.

Being too skinny was the major symptom for two of my grandchildren, too. My daughter didn't have them tested, but put them on the gluten-free diet. They started to gain weight immediately, and other problems cleared up, too (like the emotional outbursts by my grandson).

Now those two will get diarrhea within half an hour after getting cross contamination (they didn't have D before they went gluten-free). They obviously have celiac disease.

WendyG Explorer

I totally agree on having everyone in the family tested. I am s celiac and I had my three children tested for a base line and to just make sure for my peace of mind. My middle daughter who is 8 is positive. She was the one I was least concerned about. She is happy, healthy and no tummy symptoms at all.....

Good luck,

Wendy

RiceGuy Collaborator

In my opinion, yes I think your son should be tested, but either way try the gluten-free diet. I had all sorts of odd symptoms when I was little. Looking back, I can see that there were all sorts of things which should (but aren't) thought to be indicative of anything important.

Besides, being skinny and not gaining weight ARE common symptoms, and do indicate malabsorption. That means intestinal damage, of which Celiac is a likely cause.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I would at least do the blood test. It's pretty harmless, and with his family history I think it's a good idea. If he tests negative, I wouldn't make him go gluten-free (aside from him eating the already gluten-free family dinners). I'd just monitor his health. A blood test now could also serve as a baseline. If he gets tested again in a year and his numbers have gone up but still aren't considered positive, you could assume he's reacting some to gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilysmomma Rookie

Thank you for all your replies. I guess since my daughter was having the issues, I was more focused on dealing with her symptoms. But my son is so much like my BIL that has Celiacs when he was younger he was skinny just like Tyler, we'd joke that he could eat everything and not gain an ounce, Tyler is the same way. He's 11 1/2 and weighs 70, all of his friends weigh more than him. I am going to ask about getting him tested, at least the blood test, to see what it shows. I know, at 11, he won't be happy about it, he really likes his food!!! But, I want us all to be healthy. We are pretty sure it is my husband that is the carrier since there isn't any Celiacs on my side of the family.

Again, thank you for your replies, it just confirms what I already knew in my head, he should be tested!

Archived