• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Broccoli Crunch

1 c. Miracle Whip or gluten-free mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
8 slices cooked and crumbled bacon (or about 8 Tbsp. gluten-free bacon bits)
3/4 c. raisins
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. red onion, finely chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped to small florets

Combine 1st three ingredients in a small bowl (I have omitted the lemon juice if I don't have any, and it's still great.) Combine remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad, and stir to combine well. Make sure to refrigerate a couple hours before serving to let flavors combine.

This is sometimes served at my Whole Foods' salad bar, but it's pricey and of course there's always risk of cc on a salad bar. It's easy and cheap to make!
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

This is a good salad. My recipe calls for 1 T. apple cider vinegar (Bragg's), 1 T. honey, 3T. sugar, 1 T. olive oil and 2/3 cup miracle whip. I serve the sunflower kernals on the side b/c I don't care for them unless they are the raw ones. I also thinly slice baby carrots which really add to the salad. A good way to eat fresh broccoli. You can use the same dressing for cole slaw. Funny thing is a never liked onions, broccoli or sunflower kernals until I tried this salad. The blend makes it all taste good together. You can fry the bacon the day before it save time.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#3 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

I have made a version of this for many years! Even before my dx. I have been thinking about making this with the warmer weather.

Hez

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

Sarah,

I make a similar recipe.

Broccoli florets
mayo
balsamic vinegar
sugar
cooked bacon crumbles
craisans (lots)
chopped onion

And, you're right. It's great for summer dinners and the longer it sits, the better it tastes. Thanks for posting.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:36 AM

Broccoli Crunch

This is sometimes served at my Whole Foods' salad bar, but it's pricey and of course there's always risk of cc on a salad bar. It's easy and cheap to make!

Thanks for posting, I get a mild geographical tongue reaction to vinegar when used in salads and its nice to have a recipe version that doesn't contain it. I will probably skip the lemon juice as well since you said its fine without.
Thanks again, sounds perfect for summer :)
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: