17 replies to this topic

#1 LindaB

LindaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:14 PM

I have seen several posts saying they take Tums, but I have not seen them listed as gluten free on any of the sites. Are they and if not are Rolaids? What does anyone take for that gassy feeling after eating?

Linda B.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kim

Kim

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:04 AM

My understanding is that Tums are NOT gluten free.

Kim

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:30 AM

Hi Linda:

http://www.glutenfre...gs.com/list.htm

According to this list Tums are gluten-free, I would call the company to double check though.

#4 midnightlullaby

midnightlullaby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

I've heard on this forum that tums are gluten-free, but I just read on clan thompson's celiac website that they are not and that rolaids are? Is this correct?

#5 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:44 PM

I have Clan Thompsans list as well and Tums are not gluten-free. I also have a list that was updated 4/04 and it says Tums are NOT gluten-free. I have been taking them all along up until a few days ago when I found out they are not gluten-free.

Phazyme anti gas softgels are gluten-free.
Rolaids multi symptom are gluten-free too.

They are both gluten-free according to the 2 lists I have.

#6 midnightlullaby

midnightlullaby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

Can you find phyzyme at a local store? Are regular rolaids gluten-free too?

#7 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:02 PM

As is said above, Tums are NOT gluten-free, but Gaviscon are, in all their forms and flavors.

#8 midnightlullaby

midnightlullaby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how frustrating sometimes to figure these things out! I just went out and bought multi symptom rolaids and chucked the tums out just in case.

#9 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:00 AM

I am pretty sure that I had a gluten accident this weekend at a restaurant and have had horrible indigestion pain ever since Sunday. I remember reading somewhere on this board that Tums was not gluten-free. Does anyone know what type of medicine I can take for this? The pain is pretty bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#10 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:38 AM

Sorry to hear that. I use aloe vera juice - though I'm willing to bet you don't have that hanging around. You can find it at a healthfood shop or vitamins shop (not very tasty though). I use the Market America brand which is strawberry-kiwi and very yummy and doesn't cost any more either.

Also, I like to make some ginger tea. It really helps settle the stomach/intestines, and the more you drink (not just tea, but water in general) the quicker you will flush out the bad stuff.

Hope you are feeling better,
donna

#11 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:10 PM

I called Rolaids and they said crosscontam. can occure...Can any one post a link as to why Rolaids multi symptom are gluten-free? PS what is the other list besides the one listed?

#12 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:34 AM

I actually have a bottle of Tums 750s in my hand right now, and there is a tab at the bottom of the back label which clearly states "Gluten Free".

#13 gchinz

gchinz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm very new to this, but this is what it says on the tums site (www.tums.com) under FAQs.

"Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMS, there may be trace amounts of gluten
in TUMS Smoothies Cocoa and Cream flavor via ingredients that are supplied by
outside vendors. Other products of TUMS do not contain gluten. Review the “inactive ingredients”
section on the bottle label to see if the variety you have selected contains gluten."

as for cross contamination, it mentioned nothing under the gluten section, but here is what it said under the dairy section:

"Although we have cleaning procedures in place, we cannot guarantee that some small trace of the
Smoothies Cocoa & Creme or Smoothies Assorted Fruit flavors would not be present in
the other flavors."

i was desperate after eating two slices of gluten free pizza (which i'm thinking wasn't really gluten free) and took the tums.

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:53 AM

I'm very new to this, but this is what it says on the tums site (www.tums.com) under FAQs.

"Although we do not use gluten as a filler in TUMS, there may be trace amounts of gluten
outside vendors. Other products of TUMS do not contain gluten. Review the “inactive ingredients”
section on the bottle label to see if the variety you have selected contains gluten."

as for cross contamination, it mentioned nothing under the gluten section, but here is what it said under the dairy section:

"Although we have cleaning procedures in place, we cannot guarantee that some small trace of the
Smoothies Cocoa & Creme or Smoothies Assorted Fruit flavors would not be present in
the other flavors."

i was desperate after eating two slices of gluten free pizza (which i'm thinking wasn't really gluten free) and took the tums.

If you are new to the diet you may be having issues with the dairy in the cheese so the pizza may have been gluten free. Or it could be an item with heavy cross contamination, not knowing if it was homemade or restaurant I really can't answer whether it was gluten that got you or not.
Personally I avoid Tums. I keep a bottle of Pepto Bismal liquid on hand, name brand, and for me that takes care of any stomach pain I have when I accidentally get either gluten or soy and does it with just one dose.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:13 AM

From their website:

Myself, I have peppermint flavored Tums Smoothies in the medicine cabinet, and there is a small blue spot on the bottom of the back label that CLEARLY states "Gluten-Free".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: