This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Can A Colonoscopy Show Celiac?

Leslie-FL

Leslie-FL Rookie

I was never tested for Celiac because I felt so much better after going gluten-free that I couldn't bear the thought of going back to how I had felt before in order to have a test done. I am overdue, though, for my every-five-year colonoscopy (colon cancer runs in my family, so my doctor recommends having them done). I was wondering if there would be any films or anything like that on file from my last one, that maybe my doctor could use as comparison to check the status of the villi. Does anyone know if Celiac can be diagnosed this way, without having to go back on gluten? My last colonoscopy was probaby 8 years ago, long before I realized that my problem was gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I was never tested for Celiac because I felt so much better after going gluten-free that I couldn't bear the thought of going back to how I had felt before in order to have a test done. I am overdue, though, for my every-five-year colonoscopy (colon cancer runs in my family, so my doctor recommends having them done). I was wondering if there would be any films or anything like that on file from my last one, that maybe my doctor could use as comparison to check the status of the villi. Does anyone know if Celiac can be diagnosed this way, without having to go back on gluten? My last colonoscopy was probaby 8 years ago, long before I realized that my problem was gluten.

Celiac is classically diagnosed by flattening of the villi in the small intestines, scalloping and by biopsy. None of this can be viewed or sampled during a colonoscopy.

Anytime there is a strong history of digestive issues, it's wise to have annual testing of the colon. Testing of the large intestines can look for Crohn's Disease and other issues.

If I were in your shoes (and I know what I know now), if you feel better on the gluten free diet, I see no reason to return to gluten, testing or no testing.

kbtoyssni Contributor

No, a colonoscopy won't show anything celiac-related. If you're itching for a diagnosis at this point, your best bet is probably the gene test. You won't have to go back on gluten for it. Of course, you may or may not have the known celiac genes. If you don't, I'm guessing you still won't start eating gluten so it's probably not worth it.

EDIT: Actually, based on your joining date here, have you been gluten-free for less than a year? If so, enterolab can still do a stool test for gluten intolerance without you having to go back on gluten.

nora-n Rookie

I think I read that Dr. Fine of enterolab had researched microscopic colitis for years and discovered that it really comes from gluten intolerance, and that is why he invented the Enterolab stool test for gluten sensitivity.

One would have to mail him or his nurse to get an answer.

The previous poster wrote that enterolab can detect the antigliadin antibodies is a stool test for a while after going gluten-free. But not celiac.

There migh be something about microscopic colitis and gluten on the enterolab website and in the patent application that is online somewhere.

nora

Leslie-FL Rookie
No, a colonoscopy won't show anything celiac-related. If you're itching for a diagnosis at this point, your best bet is probably the gene test. You won't have to go back on gluten for it. Of course, you may or may not have the known celiac genes. If you don't, I'm guessing you still won't start eating gluten so it's probably not worth it.

EDIT: Actually, based on your joining date here, have you been gluten-free for less than a year? If so, enterolab can still do a stool test for gluten intolerance without you having to go back on gluten.

I actually went gluten free in April of 2007, but it took me awhile to join the forums.

Thank you to everyone for your input. It's true that I'm less interested in a diagnosis than in going back on gluten to get one. lol. Too many years of feeling awful - don't want to go back to that. :-)

Archived