14 replies to this topic

#1 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

I am looking for recipes that are gluten, rice, soy, and millet free. Is this even possible to bake this way? Everything I see has rice flour in it.

I'm not exactly wanting to use bean flours either, so I know that really cuts down most options.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

eww I don't like how the bean flours taste, my guess would be tapioca starch or potato flour? maybe quinoa flour? can you have oats?
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Julie,

What about almond flour? I can't remember if you can do almonds....I've been thinking of dabbling with this now that I'm off grains.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Collette, I guess I am going to have to experiment with some different things. I can do potato, corn, amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat.

Patti, nope almonds are now out for me too :( . I can do pretty much every other nut other than almonds and cashews, but thanks so much for the suggestion.

I just remembered there was a thread on baking with coconut flour, I'll have to go searching for that. Coconut is on my safe list (I wish it was on yours :()

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

I don't use rice flour (I'm allergic to rice), and it isn't nutritious anyway. I use quinoa, amaranth, sorghum primarily. Buckwheat is also a good choice but I am also allergic to that.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

I don't use rice flour (I'm allergic to rice), and it isn't nutritious anyway. I use quinoa, amaranth, sorghum primarily. Buckwheat is also a good choice but I am also allergic to that.

Hi lorka, so when you bake do you use these other flours one for one in place of rice and other gluten-free flours in recipes?

#7 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

I have the book from Carol Fenster: Gluten Free Quick and Easy. Her gluten-free flour mix is 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1 1/2 cups potato starch, 1 cup tapioca flour. I really like sorghum and her recipes I have tried so far are my favorites. Waffles, scones and double chocolate cookies. I am slowly changing from rice flour mix to sorghum mix b/c its healthier and not grainy. Also I am tossing in 1/4 cup of coconut flour for some of the gluten-free flour mix b/c its so healthy (I read somewhere to do that).
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#8 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

One more thing. Go to the thread on May 24th called "In place of eggs". There are some tips about egg replacement. It could be on page 8 or 9.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

Julie--

I was just looking at my copy of "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster, and she says that sorghum flour can comprise up to 50% of a flour blend. Maybe then you could play around with adding some cornstarch, potato starch and/or another flour you are ok with like buckwheat or the coconut. :)
Patti

#10 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:40 AM

Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum. It really does work well for breads too, so I hope you can.

I think ivory teff flour works well for breads, though I haven't tried it as the main ingredient. Have you tried that one?

Anyway, here's a really nice selection of flours in which you might find some you haven't yet explored: http://www.barryfarm.com/flours.htm
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#11 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

Great tips purple and Patti, thank you :)

I can't do sorghum but I can do tapioca, I just looked and it's on my safe list :D

Sounds like I can experiment with a potato starch and tapioca blend and then add in another flour from my safe grains.

You guys are the best!

#12 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum. It really does work well for breads too, so I hope you can.

I think ivory teff flour works well for breads, though I haven't tried it as the main ingredient. Have you tried that one?

Anyway, here's a really nice selection of flours in which you might find some you haven't yet explored: http://www.barryfarm.com/flours.htm

Hi RiceGuy, thanks for the info.

I had an allergy test done so I can only eat from a list of my safe foods for several months. I can start experimenting down the line with different things, so I'll keep this link in mind when that time comes.

#13 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

Good luck Julie! B)
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum.

That's interesting, Rice Guy--I didn't know they were related. Are they actually grains? I don't usually do well with grains, but I never seemed to have problems with the sorghum in the Enjoy Life products....I've never tried millet.

Sounds like I can experiment with a potato starch and tapioca blend and then add in another flour from my safe grains.

Sounds like a good plan! I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. :) I think the key is to have a good mixture of at least 3 different flours/starches to avoid grittiness.
Patti

#15 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

One more thing. Go to the thread on May 24th called "In place of eggs". There are some tips about egg replacement. It could be on page 8 or 9.

oops! sorry-wrong thread! supposed to be for the celiac that can't have eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: