This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Muscle Weakness And Increase Heart Rate?

Plyncie

Plyncie Newbie

I've been gluten free for a few days more than 6 months now. Every once in a while I make a mistake or eat a spice and forget to call the manufacturer first, and I seem to be able to tell if I've ingested even the TINIEST amount of gluten. My muscles in my arms and legs and neck get a strange tingly and weak feeling, and my heart rate increases, almost to the point of discomfort. I feel lightheaded also. These symptoms set in about an hour after eating the questionable food. I was just curious if anyone else has these symptoms.

I seem to be so sensitive that I can tell if a food that is supposedly free of wheat ingredients, (say corn chips) was manufactured alongside wheat products. I switched brands of corn chips, and they don't' give me the tingly feeling.

Also do any women out there notice that their periods don't hurt anymore?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TipTip Newbie

Hi There!

i have a tendency to have a lot of problems regulating my body temperature for a couple days after being glutened - it's like i have the flu. i also get terrible muscle fatigue, which drives me nuts.

i found my periods have become "normal" - because they used to be barely noticeable - probably because i was so severely anemic and malnourished - or so i'm told.

i'm closing in on the 6 month mark now too, and it's getting easier - it's still not easy, but it is easier!

Plyncie Newbie
Hi There!

i have a tendency to have a lot of problems regulating my body temperature for a couple days after being glutened - it's like i have the flu. i also get terrible muscle fatigue, which drives me nuts.

OH! that would explain my random fevers!!!

congrats on being gluten free. its getting easier for me too, but i continue having the gluten-mares :)

• 1 month later...
sallyterpsichore Explorer

I just saw this when I was searching for what warm, tingly muscles could possibly be and came upon this. I've been gluten-free for nearly two years now and this has been happening to me lately, too. I don't know if it's gluten-related or not, as I've also been lifting weights and doing a lot of heavy cardio for a couple of months and it could just be some kind of muscular reaction to that.

I have the muscle thing going on now and some major bloating, which makes me think I was somehow glutened (NO idea how unless my library book had gluten on it...ridiculous). Anyway, thanks for asking about this...I may bring it up with my doctors next month. I'll post if they shed any light on this one.

Good luck!

~Sally

bakinghomesteader Contributor

My time of the month has gotten so much better. I'm able to control the pain with Tylenol. I used to have Vicodin for the pain. I used to black out and get really sick to my stomach. I don't get that anymore since gluten free.

JennyBabe Newbie

Hi there!

So glad to see what you had posted!

I feel the exact same way! I can recognize when I've had the slightest amount of wheat. About one hour after ingesting it, I start feeling all weird. I experiece the tingling, weak feeling in my arms & legs too. My heart rate does increase, I get very anxious and lightheaded. Also my body temp drops. I'm like an ice cube. Also, corn chips make me sick too. Which brand works for you? I haven't found one yet.

Newly diagnosed 3 weeks ago--so far I seem to get worse at my cycle time.....not better. Probably stiil in the detox phase.

Thanks again for your posting. Means alot to me to know that I am not the only one experiencing these symptoms...

Everyone I talk to, seems to think celiac disease symptoms is just a stomach-ache and frequent trips to the bathroom. They don't understand when I tell them my symptoms.

Thanks again!

Archived