This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Embarrassed To Ask This...

Guest spruette

Guest spruette

Hello. It's been a couple of weeks since my last post, due to computer troubles.

Have a very humiliating question and I hope no one is too cruel about me asking something private like this.

But I have changed everything about my diet in the past three weeks. I am gluten free after suffering with unknown celiac for over ten years. I gave up soda (pop) two weeks ago becuase of my acid reflux that goes with it. I also have been taking these women one-a-days (vitamins). All of the sudden, the past week or so (off and on) I have been having some bladder leak. It's not like I am sitting there and just urinating in my pants. But it's like I don't even know it until I am going to the bathroom and I see what is obviously leaked urine on my undergarment. I am assuming it is doing a "drip" like thing, and I can't seem to think of what can be doing it. It seems though that my mother had a problem like this and the doctors related it to some sort of problem with a vitamin, whether it was too little or too much, I can't say. I don't remember. It cleared up for her not too much later after it started.

Has anyone heard of this? I know it isn't Celiac itself doing it, or maybe - I don't know. But I am wondering if maybe the diet change or super vitamin may have done this to someone else, then I can do something to help it.

It's not enough to bleed through my pants or whatever, but enough to notice when changing undergarments. Just forgive me for spilling out something personal like this, but it is just a little scary and I am hoping it is something that I can change. Thank you in advance for your advice. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Given what gluten intolerance can do to our bowels, a little bladder trouble can seem quite polite in comparison! :-) (An attempt at a funny way to say: "No need to be embarassed, it's just a body function.")

If you think your mother's case was related to vitamins, do check up on that - preferrably asking your doctor. A number of things can cause bladder leakage, but there's a lot that can be done for it. The best route to go, however, is talking to your doctor, so you can narrow down what the cause is for you.

cdford Contributor

Please don't be embarrassed about asking such a question. Many of us deal with this and worse.

I have had this problem for years. It is a family problem that we suspect is somewhere related to the malabsorption issues with celiac disease. That means that it could be associated with your vitamins, so definitely follow up there. Talk with your doctor. Try kegelling (check on a pregnancy and delivery site if you are not sure how, or message me privately...too specific to detail here) to help with muscle tone in the area. That will help in several areas of your life.

When I went gluten-free, my symptoms began to get better over time. This may also be a temporary concern if you have not had it before. Your body may adjust. My daughter had to go on Diptripan to control hers. She loves it. The leakage was a real problem for a young teen.

Do you have any other concerns that might be associated with muscle spasms or neurological issues? If so, talk to your doc about using something like gabitril. Not worth it unless you have other problems, but it helped me greatly. No more diapers!

Guest spruette

Thank you so much both of you. I have been embarrassed to look all day. Just now coming on and happy that at least two of you answered. God Bless you for making me feel more comfortable with asking.

I am looking for a good primary physician right now. The one I was seeing - I just don't like anymore. I've been getting incorrect diagnosis's from him for too long. The only reason I was diagnosed Celiac is because I went on my own to find a good gastral doctor when an ENT told me to. Celiac came as a HUGE surprise to me. I thought I always had IBS. History of Gastritus and Deudenitus (sp?). Took me forever to find a good gastreologists, wonder how long it will take to find a good primary.

Thanks so much for your input. I don't feel quite as lonely or humiliated as I did knowing that it isn't just happening to me alone. Thanks again! :)

judy05 Apprentice

Since this came on suddenly my first thought, as a nurse,

would be a urinary tract infection. Do you have any

symptoms like nausea or back pain? Sometimes after having

children women will "lose control" and suffer from stress

incontinence and the exercises previously mentioned will

help.

Guest spruette

hi judy05.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Nope, it should not be a UTI because I just got off Cipro for another infection. It was a heavy dose of it too.

I talked to a nurse friend of mine, (ironically, hehehe) and she mentioned a full instetant track or "right before that time" will do that to her. I didn't even come close to spelling intestant right. She said it will happen in pregnant woman AND woman who are constipated at times. I have had this once before - and they tested me for UTI and it was negative. She offered me this info since. Also a few girls I know say they sometimes have the "need to go" alot right before their time of the month? Then if they sneeze or cough, there may be a couple of drips that drop out. Not sure. I am praying that it will go away in a few days, since there is really no way I should have a UTI. I finished Cipro (Seven day - 500 mg) Tuesday.

I know though, the first thought that I had when I had this once before was, "uh oh, UTI." But the test proved otherwise. When my friend nurse asked if I was constipated lately, I said yes. She said that was probably the culprit. Also that I should stay away from dieretics? I have a sensitivity to them so it seems. I will go all day long - all night long, and right after I am done, I feel the need to go again, on those caffeinated drinks, or dieretics.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

judy05 Apprentice

You could have another infection not sensitive to Cipro.

The Dr. would need to do a complete Urinalysis followed by

a Culture and Sensitivity if warranted. Diuretics are very

powerful drugs and shouldn't be used casually, they are

prescribed for specific conditions. Hope this helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest spruette

Are you sure?

My doctor says diuretics is in soda with caffeine, and coffee and tea? I don't take any duiretic drugs. Never have. :)

thanks!

cdford Contributor

That "just before your time" thing is real. I wondered this week why I was suddenly having more of a problem. Since I am at that "next time of life" change and am very irregular, it never dawned on me that that might be the problem. Sure enough, I spotted a couple of days this week and afterward the problem leveled back out again.

The thoughts by the nurse writing are good ones. She is right about the antibiotics as well. Also, if you have been on an antibiotic for a while, you may also have a yeast infection. I have much more of a problem when that occurs as well.

Archived