Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Depression Post gluten-free Diet?

10 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

Hi and welcome :)

I had a similar experience--I suffered with depression and anxiety before being dianosed. After going gluten-free, I noticed a change almost immediately (I felt calmer, began to sleep better and wasn't depressed as often) but it didn't last. I would say it took me about 18 months to really see a difference in my anxiety on a daily basis. Anxiety has always been a much bigger issue for me than depression.

After 3 years, I still get anxiety when accidently glutened, it's one of the first things I notice when this has happened.

I'd give it more time, the anxiety and depression tend to take longer to ease up. A gluten-free sublingual vitamin B12 might be a good idea--I used it for a while after going on the diet.

Hi there...

I had terrible depression when I first went gluten free. It really did clear up for me though after a couple months. It does come back if I eat gluten though - so I'm very very careful now.

All of the icky side effects of being gluten-free really do go away when your body gets used to it.

Good luck!

you have not been gluten-free that long & you might still be getting some gluten...

a few ideas - did you replace all your gluten food items with a gluten free substitute? If you did that is really not a good idea. You might want to look at your diet to see how much nutrition you are getting each day.

get your vitamin & mineral levels checked & take a B12 regardless & probably you will also need D

you could also just be grieving for the loss of your favoite foods, do not worry your taste will change.... really :)

I was extremely depressed the first 2-3 months after going gluten-free. I would cry all the time. It was almost like I was in mourning for the way my life used to be. I, too, started taking a sublingual Vit B-12 about 6 weeks ago and noticed a difference within a week.....felt more like my old self. You will feel better. Hang in there!

Hi guys ... thanks all for replying. It really really helps to hear from other folks. But yeah I

Hi guys ... thanks all for replying. It really really helps to hear from other folks. But yeah I

flutterby, you're a better person than I am... I would have clocked a co-worker the second time they said that. It's not a bleepin' diet, it's a food plan that's saving my bleepin' life.

(and, yes, I stole 'food plan' from Babylon 5, 'cause, yes, I'm a nerd.)

Hahahahaha! Thanks for making me laugh. I JUST about gave into that temptation today when my officemate came in and said:

"OH YUMMY ... Yummy Yummy Yummy. Oh How Yummy. My friend just gave me this FIG CAKE. Yum yum. I had one of this before and it was soooooooooooooooooo good look they gave me another one .... Oh how rich and goood..."

........ And then I walked out of the room. :lol:

Hahahahaha! Thanks for making me laugh. I JUST about gave into that temptation today when my officemate came in and said:

"OH YUMMY ... Yummy Yummy Yummy. Oh How Yummy. My friend just gave me this FIG CAKE. Yum yum. I had one of this before and it was soooooooooooooooooo good look they gave me another one .... Oh how rich and goood..."

........ And then I walked out of the room. :lol:

Three cheers, two thumbs up, and a pat on the back for flutterby! :D

Hi all,

I