#1 flutterby

flutterby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hi all,
Ive been Gluten-Free (or trying to be!) For about two months now, although about three times Ive eaten something and later realized it had gluten in it. Before going Gluten-Free I got very sick for about three weeks and had lost a lot of weight for not eating much.

Now Im dealing with some very severe depression (It feels like PMS almost all of the time -- crying practically every evening, anxious, taking little problems with friends and co-workers as huge disasters).

Thinking back, these depressive symptoms started pretty much at the same time I went Gluten-Free. I know the way I used to cope with depression was by eating, usually cookies. Now I cant cope that way, and I also tend to lose my apetite rather than gain it.

Has anybody else had similar experiences?
Thanks---
-flutterby
-Diagnosed by doctor "gluten intolerant" without any tests, based on symptoms in 2008. Gluten-free since then.
-Currently awaiting tests to see official diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Hi and welcome :)

I had a similar experience--I suffered with depression and anxiety before being dianosed. After going gluten-free, I noticed a change almost immediately (I felt calmer, began to sleep better and wasn't depressed as often) but it didn't last. I would say it took me about 18 months to really see a difference in my anxiety on a daily basis. Anxiety has always been a much bigger issue for me than depression.

After 3 years, I still get anxiety when accidently glutened, it's one of the first things I notice when this has happened.

I'd give it more time, the anxiety and depression tend to take longer to ease up. A gluten-free sublingual vitamin B12 might be a good idea--I used it for a while after going on the diet.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 TipTip

TipTip

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

Hi there...

I had terrible depression when I first went gluten free. It really did clear up for me though after a couple months. It does come back if I eat gluten though - so I'm very very careful now.

All of the icky side effects of being gluten-free really do go away when your body gets used to it.

Good luck!

#4 gfpaperdoll

gfpaperdoll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

you have not been gluten-free that long & you might still be getting some gluten...
a few ideas - did you replace all your gluten food items with a gluten free substitute? If you did that is really not a good idea. You might want to look at your diet to see how much nutrition you are getting each day.

get your vitamin & mineral levels checked & take a B12 regardless & probably you will also need D

you could also just be grieving for the loss of your favoite foods, do not worry your taste will change.... really :)

#5 Puddy

Puddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

I was extremely depressed the first 2-3 months after going gluten-free. I would cry all the time. It was almost like I was in mourning for the way my life used to be. I, too, started taking a sublingual Vit B-12 about 6 weeks ago and noticed a difference within a week.....felt more like my old self. You will feel better. Hang in there!
Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

#6 flutterby

flutterby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

Hi guys ... thanks all for replying. It really really helps to hear from other folks. But yeah Ive been crying most every day and I think it is difficult to think about all the things I used to like -- especially when my co-workers have some kind of celebration nearly every week with cake or sweetbread, and many were teasing me for not eating it, like "Oh youre so skinny already you dont need to be on a diet..." which of course upset me more because Im skinny because Ive been sick. Plus Ive been REALLY irritable and moody.

I will check on getting some vitamins -- I think I have some that I hadn't been taking (bad me!) In terms of diet I eat a lot of beans and rice, meat (liver for iron when I can), salad, vegetables, and soy-milk.

Again thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it, and its also nice to know that most likely this will be gettting better!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
-Diagnosed by doctor "gluten intolerant" without any tests, based on symptoms in 2008. Gluten-free since then.

#7 Ab_Normal

Ab_Normal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hi guys ... thanks all for replying. It really really helps to hear from other folks. But yeah Ive been crying most every day and I think it is difficult to think about all the things I used to like -- especially when my co-workers have some kind of celebration nearly every week with cake or sweetbread, and many were teasing me for not eating it, like "Oh youre so skinny already you dont need to be on a diet..." which of course upset me more because Im skinny because Ive been sick.
(snip)

flutterby, you're a better person than I am... I would have clocked a co-worker the second time they said that. It's not a bleepin' diet, it's a food plan that's saving my bleepin' life.

(and, yes, I stole 'food plan' from Babylon 5, 'cause, yes, I'm a nerd.)
Norma

#8 flutterby

flutterby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

flutterby, you're a better person than I am... I would have clocked a co-worker the second time they said that. It's not a bleepin' diet, it's a food plan that's saving my bleepin' life.

(and, yes, I stole 'food plan' from Babylon 5, 'cause, yes, I'm a nerd.)

Hahahahaha! Thanks for making me laugh. I JUST about gave into that temptation today when my officemate came in and said:
"OH YUMMY ... Yummy Yummy Yummy. Oh How Yummy. My friend just gave me this FIG CAKE. Yum yum. I had one of this before and it was soooooooooooooooooo good look they gave me another one .... Oh how rich and goood..."

........ And then I walked out of the room. :lol:

#9 Ab_Normal

Ab_Normal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hahahahaha! Thanks for making me laugh. I JUST about gave into that temptation today when my officemate came in and said:
"OH YUMMY ... Yummy Yummy Yummy. Oh How Yummy. My friend just gave me this FIG CAKE. Yum yum. I had one of this before and it was soooooooooooooooooo good look they gave me another one .... Oh how rich and goood..."

........ And then I walked out of the room. :lol:

Three cheers, two thumbs up, and a pat on the back for flutterby! :D
Norma

#10 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi all,
Ive been Gluten-Free (or trying to be!) For about two months now, although about three times Ive eaten something and later realized it had gluten in it. Before going Gluten-Free I got very sick for about three weeks and had lost a lot of weight for not eating much.

Now Im dealing with some very severe depression (It feels like PMS almost all of the time -- crying practically every evening, anxious, taking little problems with friends and co-workers as huge disasters).

Thinking back, these depressive symptoms started pretty much at the same time I went Gluten-Free. I know the way I used to cope with depression was by eating, usually cookies. Now I cant cope that way, and I also tend to lose my apetite rather than gain it.

Has anybody else had similar experiences?
Thanks---
-flutterby

Hi All,
Here's something that you all should read, this is a very interesting item I came across some time ago.
Adverse reactions to starting the Gluten Free Diet.
The Gluten Syndrome
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: