Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Missed Period

9 posts in this topic

I recently went gluten free about a month and a half ago. I am 27 years old and currently on the pill ("Yaz"). I am about six days late for getting my period. I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative.

Since i have never been late in my life, and since I'm probably not pregnant, the only thing I can think of is it's related to being gluten free. Has anyone had a similar experience?? Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

Ive only had 2 periods since gluten-free, but both came late. This last one was 4 days late. I am not on the pill.

It could be related to going gluten-free....environment changes can effect your period....this might be the case. The day I went gluten-free was the day I got my IUD in, so I'm really not much help though.

hello

celiac disease can cause imbalance in your hormones. Since I started my gluten-free diet, my period is coming every 15 days and my last one came in 35 days. But I never had a problem before. I am taking some herbs for this from an homeopathetic doctor but it dosn't seem to be helping at all. I am going tomorrow to visit an endocrinologist (is that the word??) and I hope he will have a better solution.

just keep in mind that celiac can cause an hormonical imbalance.it is a side effect actually. I just don't know if we can talk about hormonical problem only with one late period. maybe you should just wait and see how things will be next month.

I have been on the pill for a few years but the doctor who diagnosed me with celiac disease last march also took me off the pill the same time. this is the latest i have ever been with my period (i had it last on may 11) and still see no signs of getting...i am very concerned!!! i am planning on seeing my doctor when i get back from vacation in about 2 weeks, but i hope i get it before then because it just doesn't seem right!

I was diagnosed a year ago this coming Saturday.

I have not had a "normal" or "regular" period in over a year.

I am gluten free and now carry around FHP all the time. I stopped trying to explain this to doctors because they kept trying to have me go on some form of the pill or the ring... which I did for a while (my gi was convinced that it wasn't my intestines but my ovaries causing me all my abdominal pain). The ring led to more complications so I stopped.

I am hoping year two of gluten free will mean some more regularity... but I am doubtful.

so glad I'm not the only one having perios troubles gluten-free. I went gluten-free and my pms got horrible. then it got better....then it was mild but lasted forever. the 2nd month gluten-free I got my period twice! I spotted this month and never actually had it. I've had period problems in the past, somrtimes irregular, but I always got a regualr flow. I actually lost it for 6 months once, but that was about 7 years ago when I got too thin.

So being gluten-free definitly has to be related!!!!

Well, first off...as said before, I AM SO GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! :unsure:

I'm 27 and recently (August 2009) found out that I have Celiac Disease. I've been attempting gluten free since then. It's been somewhat difficult, and here and there I may have glutened myself (totally sucks). My last pd was on August 13, 2009. It is now December 31, 2009 and I can't figure out what happened to it! Lol.

I took 3 pregnancy tests (all negative) and even went and got the blood-test version of it. All negative. Here and there, I have cramps, but never anything comes of it. I have been using progesterone cream to see if that helps. My mother works for a Naturopathic doctor and sent me some supplements to help. I'm going to try them out, but am unsure if it will do anything.

I just hope this doesn't cause me to have infertility problems. That would be really upsetting.

Has anyone come up with any other advice? :huh:

Im 23, and have been gluten free 9 years. My periods were pretty regular in my early teens but after a few years of being gluten free I went at least 11 months with no period. They were irregular ever since that happened. I have tried all kinds of BC but they make me sick sick!! My gyno blamed it on my low weight and the fact that I don't have enough body fat to menstrate. Could that be an issue for you? I haven't put on much weight but maybe 3 pounds but the past few months I have had more regular periods. I am taking calcium and Vitamin D and I think that has really helped as well as maybe the few measly pounds I have gained. Sorry I am not much help but I know it is frustrating. I worry myself about the infertility issue down the road but hopefully I will be better by then!